• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes but no body cares about as long as we get free VC/s

Dont know, you would expect Nintendo will be more draconian about cheaters online, didnt 3DS had a case of mass ban a few years ago??
-------------------------
I wonder at what point nintendo will get fed up, dont some contracts with phone carrier and a hardware revision so even without direct internet connection, as long as you are wherea cellphone can work, the console can do passive checking to see if people been tampering with it??

You're awfully insistent on trying to keep people from using homebrew.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My Switch library is digital. If I buy another Switch, can I download my games after logging into my account, or do I have to do a direct transfer?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My Switch library is digital. If I buy another Switch, can I download my games after logging into my account, or do I have to do a direct transfer?

You can set it as primary console and download everything anew. Or do a transfer to also move your saves.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You can set it as primary console and download everything anew. Or do a transfer to also move your saves.
Nice. I'll wait for the new hardware revision before buying a second Switch to benefit from whatever thermal process improvements they implement, but I'm glad to know Nintendo's digital purchases are finally tied to an account and not the hardware.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Defending piracy
Awesome news to see the Switch opened like this, particularly since the form factor is so great for playing all sorts of games. And I don't understand why people are worried about piracy, ultimately that's Nintendo's concern as if the people they pay were that incompetent to leave such a great flaw in their systems, then they deserve to suffer the financial repercussions from it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ok ... is my paperclip too weak or i am not understanding which screw do I need to conect to which?

Because it says rearmost and it is not the rear one .... anyone have visual clues for the magical secret home button?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome news to see the Switch opened like this, particularly since the form factor is so great for playing all sorts of games. And I don't understand why people are worried about piracy, ultimately that's Nintendo's concern as if the people they pay were that incompetent to leave such a great flaw in their systems, then they deserve to suffer the financial repercussions from it.
Is the main flaw not coming from NVIDIA side of the hardware? Or are we just going with "any kind of hardware flaw = incompetent devs"?

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Even if it's nvidia who is to blame Nintendo would have surely known about it, I mean wasn't it documented in the switch sdk or something?

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we only blaming Nvidia now? That's not how it works.

For example, if an iphone camera failed, who would people blame? Apple or Sony, the camera manufacturer?

ti_graphics_where-your-iphone-comes-from-v02.png

In this case, Nintendo is the owner of the product. It's their decision to cooperate with Nvidia, and it's their responsibility to make sure that the product is flawless.

DDayton

Oct 27, 2017
And I don't understand why people are worried about piracy, ultimately that's Nintendo's concern as if the people they pay were that incompetent to leave such a great flaw in their systems, then they deserve to suffer the financial repercussions from it.

"I don't see why people are worried about fraud -- that's the consumer's concern. If they were incompetent enough to use a weak password, they deserve to have their money stolen."

No one deserves to suffer from the results of fraud, theft, or piracy. You may argue that they didn't take proper precautions, which is all well and good, but blaming the victim of crime seems hardly fair. While having access to homebrew software is good, piracy is a problem for everyone - if it comes, and is easy, we may well see fewer and fewer titles on the Switch. It could chug along with issue, of course, but piracy did have an impact on the thriving early computer market...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
I just bought a switch so I would get one with an old tegra in it since apparently the updated versions are out in the wild soon.

The possibility for the ultimate handheld was too tempting.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Is the main flaw not coming from NVIDIA side of the hardware? Or are we just going with "any kind of hardware flaw = incompetent devs"?
Is Nintendo, anything and everything happend os blamed on em. Although its been pointed out already in the thread that the real exploid that let people put in their own Cfw is a flaw from Nvidia

Even if it's nvidia who is to blame Nintendo would have surely known about it, I mean wasn't it documented in the switch sdk or something?
Read what you are posting slowly
>Nintendo knew a hardware flaw and let it pass by on purpose

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we only blaming Nvidia now? That's not how it works.

For example, if an iphone camera failed, who would people blame? Apple or Sony, the camera manufacturer?

In this case, Nintendo is the owner of the product. It's their decision to cooperate with Nvidia, and it's their responsibility to make sure that the product is flawless.
So, let me get this straight, Nintendo is to blame for a flaw in a NVIDIA chip that took literal years to find?
A flaw that is supposed to touch chips prior to the tx2, which is already two years old itself?
Does that mean that every car maker that bought a xavier chip is also to blame since they should have also checked? https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...is-also-affected-by-security-flaws-2018-01-08

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Switch: hacked thanks to a freaking jumper cable.
Hell if thats all it took I'm used to doing that. You'd be surprised the shit I've made run at an industrial level by opening up a panel and attaching small jumpers I keep in my hardhat to the right two wires. Finally a job skill I can use at home!

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
and it's their responsibility to make sure that the product is flawless.
If evey piece of hardware released should be flawless eother it will never release cause infinte loop of fix one mistake and find another, or will indeed be flawless and the hackinf scene will commit suicide. Neither case applies

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
This would mean that all manufacturers of personal computers (and many other consumer electronics) are responsible for Meltdown and Spectre.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, let me get this straight, Nintendo is to blame for a flaw in a NVIDIA chip that took literal years to find?
A flaw that is supposed to touch chips prior to the tx2, which is already two years old itself?
Does that mean that every car maker that bought a xavier chip is also to blame since they should have also checked? https://www.marketwatch.com/story/n...is-also-affected-by-security-flaws-2018-01-08
That's not what I said. Yes, Nvidia is to blame, but Nintendo is definitely not getting away with it.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I said. Yes, Nvidia is to blame, but Nintendo is definitely not getting away with it.
While i do understand what you mean and am somewhat in agreement that Nintendo is gonna feel the pain of having used Nvidia chips (probably with a stock drop at best, to loss of software sales + loss of devs trust at worst) ,
i dont feel like your iphone camera example is a good representation of the situation since so many companies are using NVIDIA chips for so many products these days.
In the context of multiple products being breakable due to one specific part, it would still be the part-maker that would be singled out.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Why would they? As far as I undertand people is just using a leggit method the console has to boot, the exploid comes a vulnerability in the chip nvidia gave em, with that one, the booting thing will be almost useless

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
While i do understand what you mean and am somewhat in agreement that Nintendo is gonna feel the pain of having used Nvidia chips (probably with a stock drop at best, to loss of software sales + loss of devs trust at worst) ,
i dont feel like your iphone camera example is a good representation of the situation since so many companies are using NVIDIA chips for so many products these days.
In the context of multiple products being breakable due to one specific part, it would still be the part-maker that would be singled out.
The problem was ussing a highly docUment chip, but if everything goes south, it will bite in the ass both Nintendo and Nvidia. I would asume that by contract Nvidia will have to address any flaw m/ exploit in design once find out if not Nintendo will be hands tied or Nvidia would have had tk give Nintendo full 100% documentation of their chips

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
What do you mean you don't know? You're the one that was asking what the excuse is, therefore implying an excuse is needed.
Hacking Wii U and 3DS was an act of protest against region lock. That's what I read online anyway, and I fully supported that movement for motives that we usually see pop up in region lock threads.

So now I would like to know what's the reason to hack the Switch. There has to be one no? I don't know why it's so difficult to answer my question lol.

So what is it? People who love coding playing with security flaws?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
So now I would like to know what's the reason to hack the Switch. There has to be one no? I don't know why it's so difficult to answer my question lol.

Besides the obvious "because they can", there are several posted in this thread. It's up to you to read them.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hacking Wii U and 3DS was an act of protest against region lock. That's what I read online anyway, and I fully supported that movement for motives that we usually see pop up in region lock threads.

the newest excuse is.

"because no VC"

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

backing up saves is the obvious one.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the obvious "because they can", there are several posted in this thread. It's up to you to read them.

The backup one doesn't particularly work since you'd soon be unable to restore them. This access won't work on the new revision which will eclipse the T210.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017

Android apps.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
the newest excuse is.

"because no VC"

And "my save files"

Im actually more interested in what will become the next "justification"

My money on: Nintendo should not charge me to store my files in the cloud

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The backup one doesn't particularly work since you'd soon be unable to restore them. This access won't work on the new revision which will eclipse the T210.
That's assuming you'd be trying to transfer your save to an entirely new console, or that there won't be a way to transfer it without the current exploit. Or that you don't care about long term storage of save files.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup,

Pc/consoles to Switch streaming, labo drivers for pc games, custom joycon colors

Are totally not good reasons to homebrew.

Everybody who uses homebrew is a dirty pirate right?
While the first one would be great, and the second would be great for those interested in Labo, i really don't see how you need homebrew software for a change in the physical joycon color.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The old Switch prices will soon skyrocket when the T214 revision hits, and T214 won't work with this and 5.0.0 firmware is already fairly rock solid. So you'd not be able to restore them without paying a premium for the old Switch.
There are too many old Switches. I don't think the price will change significatively.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
And "my save files"

Im actually more interested in what will become the next "justification"

My money on: Nintendo should not charge me to store my files in the cloud
Since you're disingenuous in virtually every thread tangential to emulation and you move the goalposts constantly, why should anyone care what you think?

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There are too many old Switches. I don't think the price will change significatively.

The vast majority of them won't be used for this, some of them are going to start EoLing with time/use (and cannot be replenished), and the used market of T210's will be exhausted with time, so... I think it could actually balloon fairly handily with time. Remember, its not 'how many Switches are out there', its how many are out there that someone is selling that can do this, that number isn't 14 million.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Yup,

Pc/consoles to Switch streaming, labo drivers for pc games, custom joycon colors

Are totally not good reasons to homebrew.

Everybody who uses homebrew is a dirty pirate right?
No but everyone know tha homebrew require enabling custome software/ code into the console and one that is enable piracy is 1 step behind. So people should stop acting like those 2 thing have not any correlation, and that many people (not blaming anyone here) just use those as a cover while pushing/ wishing for piracy.

And if you ask me 1 off those already has an app in the work, the Rain-something. And the other 2 dont justify open the gates to piracy

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

That is the actual reason devices get hacked in the first place. People with coding knowledge and a love a tech get new devices and tinker with them to see if they can get their own code running on them, that then leads to custom firmware and homebrew and other people jumping in once the exploits used to run your own code get out there.

The reason people like many users here who aren't coders or hackers want CFW and homebrew is usually so their devices can do additional stuff, be it running out of region games on consoles with region lock (like I had to with my PS2 and a Swap Magic when I wanted to play the Kingdom Hearts 1/2 Final Mixs) or because they want to be able to emulate their older consoles on a newer one so they don't have to keep out decades of consoles hooked up to a TV if they feel the urge to go back and play some Bubba N Stix on the Mega Drive.

The Switch for example, is fully region free (it's even easy to access the Eshops of other regions and buy games from there!) but it is very bare bones. No web browser, no video streaming (well, I think it has HULU in the US but that does fuck all for anyone not there), no Virtual Console (yet?) plus with it seemingly being able to run Linux then that opens up the doors to the Switch being able to run even more things!

The question "why hack the Switch?" isn't a hard question to answer, but an obvious one. Why not?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I did not check personally, but someone said that the switch prices on ebay increased earlier today after the news dropped so it could still happen.
Personally, i don't think the hike in price will ever be significant with the current amount of Switch in circulation, but i'm sure some will brand their Switch as "rare Hack-friendly version" in order to get a few bucks more.