• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I have an idea, chef : block the threads.

Toxic cheaters can search for hacking methods themselves instead of polluting ResetEra.
There hasn't been a single post in here about how to install cheats.
Fears of cheaters are also hilariously dumb. Nintendo will just be dropping the banhammer on anyone using CFW while online, you don't need to worry about that.

Deleted member 16039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see we've moved on from the "you hackers are just excited for piracy!" and now onto "you hackers are excited for cheating!"

I do find it funny you mentioned Mario Kart DS as a game cheaters ruined. It was ruined by all the snaking, long before cheats.
At least not everybody was able to do the snaking (never did myself). MK DS was just ONE example.

What will you do when you'll have to PAY for the ONLINE services in Smash Bros / Splatoon 2 / MK 8 DX and face cheaters ? Oh yeah, I'm sure you'll keep paying.

EDIT :
Oh yeah, the ban hammer. Still waiting for them to strike cheaters in MK8 and MK7.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't been a single post in here about how to install cheats.
Fears of cheaters are also hilariously dumb. Nintendo will just be dropping the banhammer on anyone using CFW while online, you don't need to worry about that.
Tbh, nintendo didnt do it back on the wii. (I had CFW around the time mon hunter tri was release and i was able to connect online without any issues)

What will you do when you'll have to PAY for the ONLINE services in Smash Bros / Splatoon 2 / MK 8 DX and face cheaters ? Oh yeah, I'm sure you'll keep paying.

EDIT :
Oh yeah, the ban hammer. Still waiting for them to strike cheaters in MK8 and MK7.
Again thats on nintendo to implement stuff to curve cheaters as again, Ps3 and xbox 360 was hacked and had cheaters and they did deal with them. If nintendo can't implement anything to stop cheaters, maybe they shouldnt have a shitty paid online service (if it comes to that)

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Ignoring modpost, derailing thread
We intend to crack down on piracy discussions in homebrew and emulation threads moving forward. As long as a hack can be used for legitimate homebrew and/or legal emulation, we will not be permitting derails about piracy. Anyone not observing this rule after this post will be actioned accordingly.
Just like I predicted earlier in the thread..... Not surprising at all yet frankly hypocritical.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just like I predicted earlier in the thread..... Not surprising at all yet frankly hypocritical.
Not really, hacking a n3ds so you can get the cpu to work full force on games that didn't use it to run way better falls under this line of thinking as ok. So you are basically saying that is horrible which is nonsense.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How precisely is that hypocritical?
I think his line of thinking is, that even so the hack could be used for legitimate homebrew and/or legal emulation, it could also be used for piracy. So not be able to talk about the possible negative aspect of those hacks, is kind of hypocritical. This isn't a thread about homebrew or emulation, it's a thread about a hack with all its postive and negative possibilities.

Oct 30, 2017
As long it was a emulation thread I can understand but a thread about a specific discovered exploit itself not allowed piracy talk despite exploits are neither piracy or homebrew into itself? Feels to fingers in the ears approach to not allow both positive and negatives.

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, nintendo didnt do it back on the wii. (I had CFW around the time mon hunter tri was release and i was able to connect online without any issues)

Again thats on nintendo to implement stuff to curve cheaters as again, Ps3 and xbox 360 was hacked and had cheaters and they did deal with them. If nintendo can't implement anything to stop cheaters, maybe they shouldnt have a shitty paid online service (if it comes to that)

Exactly, and that's what I'm afraid of with this situation.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't think I've actually ran into cheaters on Nintendo online games. I've definitely run into terrible connections in Smash bros brawl and 3DS but no cheats. Maybe hacked Pokémon in Pokémon games?

I feel the cheating thing always gets blown out of proportion. Even with the PC. The PC is this terrible bad place full of hackers and cheats and pirates and goblins yet I've rarely encountered cheating. Obviously to a higher degree than on consoles (of which I'm actually unsure I can be certain of any) but not enough to panic about. I guess it's a bigger panic because consoles don't have the same reporting systems and anti-cheat as PC? Where in many games you can file reports against players for cheating (or toxic and offensive behaviour) while on consoles either you can't do it or it's a system wide account level thing and never really works out.

Either way, with console cheaters it's a subset of a subset, the small amount of players who hack their consoles then the small amount of those people who choose to risk their accounts/systems by connecting online and then decide it's a good idea to cheat.

It's this facade that NeoGAF and now ERA love to portray. A moral standard that is adhered to only to be ignored when convenient. Like I said, not surprising.
The moral standard here is that Piracy talk (how to do it, where to get roms, sharing links etc) is bannable. That is consistent. The added thing is that every thread like this (or on emulation) always has posters popping in to say "this is bad because of pirates and all you are bad pirates too" and that always happens and always derails the topic because it's always a stream of people repeating the same few "piracy is bad" things when no one is saying piracy is good. If you go into any other thread and derail it you'll also get a warning.

This thread is about the exploit and the homebrew/CFW and opportunities it can lead to and not about piracy. You don't need to come into this thread and say "hey guys, piracy is bad" just like you don't need to say that in a Trump thread in OT.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least not everybody was able to do the snaking (never did myself). MK DS was just ONE example.

EDIT :

I won't pay for online if it is rife with cheaters. Simple as that. Not sure what the problem here is. You should probably demand solutions from Nintendo, not the users.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Not really, hacking a n3ds so you can get the cpu to work full force on games that didn't use it to run way better falls under this line of thinking as ok. So you are basically saying that is horrible which is nonsense.
What an expertly crafted argument based on incorrect assumptions and flawed reasoning but then again, I'm not surprised.

Oct 25, 2017
Editing because even though this is a general exploit topic, my understanding is that commenting on the mod post is not allowed further. I am extremely disappointed in this.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I would barely play my 3DS if it wasn't for the ability to rip my carts to the SD card. And yeah, it's nice to play stuff like Dragon Quest 7 with the orchestrated music and no menu slowdown!

Gluka

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just emulators that this would be good for. I am pretty sure that OpenMW can be compiled relatively easily on ARM platforms (or at least I have heard of people doing so in the past). It would be neat to have a proper version of Morrowind on a mobile platform. I might have to give it a try once there is an easier way to install Linux.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Well you are welcome to explain yourself then. Because that "incorrect assumption" lines up with your statements
If you cannot see that your assumptions are baseless and frankly a figment of your imagination, then what can I say. If you cannot see how your premise doesn't logically lead to the conclusion that you've drawn, then there is no point. Discussing this further with you would be a complete waste of my time.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should I need to buy a secondary switch before new batch come ? Don't want to compromise my original one

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm gonna be that annoying guy and ask

How long until we get PPSSPP running?

How long until we get PUBG running? (through potential Android dual boot)

I've been checking this thread too many times haha

PPSSPP: Theoretically right now. At least the f0f guys could do it right now. 1-3 months if we wanna do it ourselves since we need to wait for GPU drivers and that stuff.

PUBG Mobile: Hard to say, depends on how active someone will make Android boot. I guess 2-4 months.

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a thread about homebrew or emulation, it's a thread about a hack with all its postive and negative possibilities.

The bottom line is whining about piracy is annoying for the end-users of this forum. I go into a thread and see 20 kids whining about piracy and it just makes me roll my eyes and ask why do I even post here? I want to read details and thoughts about the hack, as an engineer this kind of thing is very interesting to me. I came in here full of technical wonder and you guys ruined the whole mood by whining and bitching about everything.

I have ZERO interest in hearing some dumb-ass teenager's moral crusades against piracy. Shit's annoying, it really is. I come here for actual content, repetitive whine posts that clog up threads are not content. And from ResetEra's perspective, why would the people who run this site want to allow whine-posts that drive posters away, add nothing to the conversation, and really only serve to create animosity in the community?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
It's this facade that NeoGAF and now ERA love to portray. A moral standard that is adhered to only to be ignored when convenient.
What? It's entirely consistent. Illegal and unethical behaviour is frowned upon, legal and ethical behviour -- like, say, running an emulator on your switch to play games you own -- is not.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
PPSSPP: Theoretically right now. At least the f0f guys could do it right now. 1-3 months if we wanna do it ourselves since we need to wait for GPU drivers and that stuff.

PUBG Mobile: Hard to say, depends on how active someone will make Android boot. I guess 2-4 months.

All that needs to happen is an Android boot rom

Then boom PPSSPP.... ok its not that easy but you get the gist. In theory it should run just like it would on an NVidia Shield

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Look, everybody knows that these things can be used for piracy. The problem is derailing every single thread with stuff about piracy. Many people here really, truly don't care about the piracy aspect of emulation or console hacking, and we would like to be able to discuss it without the deluge of garbage every single time. Pointing out the obvious repeatedly is a waste of everyone's time.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that we'll get an untethered version of that hack. Or at least some portable solution with something like the Pi zero. That would be very unfortunate if you're on vacation and your Switch battery ran out of juice. You couldn't coldboot it and use the homebrew.
I hope Team Xecuter will present something like a true modchip that could run the payload on the Switch without the need for a PC.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is this actually a thing?
yes it is, only restrictions is does have is that some games wont go online due to it (like that FF mon hun like game) but yeah you can hack the New (2/3) DS line to go into overclocked mode to make games that dont take advantage of the n3ds to run smoother (aka xenoblade chronicles doesnt gain anything since iirc its running at full, could be wrong but i remember that being an odd exclusion)
Heck my favorite 3ds hacks were the ones that put the orchestra music from the Japanese releases of DQ7/8 into the western releases (because the composer is a shit and we got midi music)

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

They did it on the WiiU of all things so referencing something from over a decade ago seems... pointless. And WiiU had terrible telemetry and detection.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did it on the WiiU of all things so referencing something from over a decade ago seems... pointless. And WiiU had terrible telemetry and detection.
Never really played wii-u online/ or had a hacked wii-u so i didnt want to guess how things ran on there and heck i can be online with the 3ds which is hacked and nothing has happened (then again i dont cheat with multiplayer games/online), but tbh the only thing i care about is nintendo making online good if they're making people pay for it, and curbing cheaters has to be a priority for them at that point... but i dont care if people talk about cheating in games or not.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and it fixes the menu slowdown introduced in the western release of DQ7.

Was there any widespread issues known in doing so? On the PC, without proper cooling you get overheating and diminished CPU lifecycle. Just curious if the threshold was narrow enough to result in failure rate increase.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Never really played wii-u online/ or had a hacked wii-u so i didnt want to guess how things ran on there and heck i can be online with the 3ds which is hacked and nothing has happened (then again i dont cheat with multiplayer games/online), but tbh the only thing i care about is nintendo making online good if they're making people pay for it, and curbing cheaters has to be a priority for them at that point... but i dont care if people talk about cheating in games or not.

They been doing ban waves on pirates/cheaters, not CFW for 3DS. There were early ban waves on CFW but later on just the previously mentioned things were their targets. I don't really see why they'd ban for CFW specifically if its not doing anything wrong.

There was a sweeping banwave a few months ago now. I don't think the reason was ever particularly figured out but suspicions are/were high it was because of idiots still using FreeShop.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, and it fixes the menu slowdown introduced in the western release of DQ7.

yes it is, only restrictions is does have is that some games wont go online due to it (like that FF mon hun like game) but yeah you can hack the New (2/3) DS line to go into overclocked mode to make games that dont take advantage of the n3ds to run smoother (aka xenoblade chronicles doesnt gain anything since iirc its running at full, could be wrong but i remember that being an odd exclusion)
Heck my favorite 3ds hacks were the ones that put the orchestra music from the Japanese releases of DQ7/8 into the western releases (because the composer is a shit and we got midi music)

That's... amazing, and a perfect example of a non-piracy use case for these sort of hacks. I have a stock Majora's Mask n3ds (with Cubic Ninja) that I could use, and would love to see how Mercs 3D runs when overclocked.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Was there any widespread issues known in doing so? On the PC, without proper cooling you get overheating and diminished CPU lifecycle. Just curious if the threshold was narrow enough to result in failure rate increase.
No, the New 3DS is designed to run at the higher clock rate, and some software out there is designed to use it (i.e. Xenoblade 3DS, Monster Hunter games, etc.). The only reason it doesn't do it all the time is battery consumption and potential compatibility issues for games that were written without the faster speed in mind (although I don't know of any issues with any games off the top of my head). It's the same for the PSP, which ran underclocked most of the time, but you could force it to 333MHz via CFW.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Not a risk with 3DS, or n3DS specifically as it was built for those clocks.

Changing the clocks (upwards) on the Switch is probably not a good idea, however, as its already getting heated at its regular clocks. So upping them is probably going to introduce issues.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Changing the clocks (upwards) on the Switch is probably not a good idea, however, as its already getting heated at its regular clocks. So upping them is probably going to introduce issues.
I think they might mean Changing the clocks from handheld to docked (not anything higher lord no) while in handheld mode. (i mean you'll totes have a battery drained quickly but if you bring a plug with ya it shouldnt be a big issue?)

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, the New 3DS is designed to run at the higher clock rate, and some software out there is designed to use it (i.e. Xenoblade 3DS, Monster Hunter games, etc.). The only reason it doesn't do it all the time is battery consumption and potential compatibility issues for games that were written without the faster speed in mind (although I don't know of any issues with any games off the top of my head). It's the same for the PSP, which ran underclocked most of the time, but you could force it to 333MHz via CFW.

Gotcha. There by design. Thanks.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
This thread is more interesting to me from a technical standpoint than anything else. The hacker that discovered the Fusee Gelee thing is really fascinating. Her streams are cool even though I have zero clue how 98% of this works.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think they might mean Changing the clocks from handheld to docked (not anything higher lord no) while in handheld mode. (i mean you'll totes have a battery drained quickly but if you bring a plug with ya it shouldnt be a big issue?)

Dock turns off the screen. The heat at base clocks already can make the fan go wild after sustained play in handheld. Up to dock with the screen on and you may actually start having some genuine warping if not worse.

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been more ok with this if it happened a couple more years down the line. Hackers and most users don't give a single shit about the collateral damage. I'll never get over what happened to the PSP.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have been more ok with this if it happened a couple more years down the line. Hackers and most users don't give a single shit about the collateral damage. I'll never get over what happened to the PSP.
you mean declined sales in the west while sales in japan were still very good <_<" (on psp subject) Going to guess people here forgot that there is a switch emulator on pc so its not like the hack would have made a difference.(if piracy is what people are thinking causes problems)