Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gross. Y'all begging to WFH don't realize how bad this is going to be.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of facebook but this is a pretty big seismic shift for the tech industry after Twitter's announcement last week.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"More diversity in hiring"
"pay at top end of market rate based on location "

lol US workers are fucked.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a lot of people are gonna get pay cuts because they move to somewhere with a lower living cost? Isn't that a bit of a dick move?

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Yup this is what I was hoping wouldn't happen.

Of course they want to pay someone living in remote Indiana $50k vs. $200k if they were living in SF.

Nov 5, 2017
At least the commute in the Bay Area will significantly decrease? I mean when one of these big titans does one thing, usually, the other tech companies in the area follow suite...

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Been working from home for the past two years or so, although I tend to do a hybrid of going to the office once a week at minimum.

The benefits to my work life balance and overall relaxation have been tremendous. I am never going back to an office only job. Ever

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Companies will save millions by passing the burden of workspace to you and then cut your salaries. Remote work will hurt employees in almost every instance. It blows my mind how many people here don't see this.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would they "adjust" salaries based on location??? How does this impact the value of their work?
Is this just pure bullshit or am I missing something?

e: Further discussed later in the thread

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
So a lot of people are gonna get pay cuts because they move to somewhere with a lower living cost? Isn't that a bit of a dick move?

It's normal actually in big tech companies. They pay more in more expensive areas cause CoL is higher.

but it's nowhere near as extreme as what people are assuming.

it's basically 160k vs 190k type situations.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That's basically how my employer does it. Remote employees are usually better compensated than office based employees and salary within that is adjusted for cost of living. Employer is based in Ohio.

So for the same job, someone in DC is paid more than someone in Dallas. But DC is a shitton more expensive to live in than the DFW area.

And the gulf isn't that big. Within a few thousand dollars.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Why the fuck would they "adjust" salaries based on location??? How does this impact the value of their work?
Is this just pure bullshit or am I missing something?
yeah this is why ill never move to most places companies love to adjust pay if you move somewhere than has a lower perceived cost of living lol.

Weeats

Banned
Jun 17, 2019
Working from home is already a substantial pay cut, as your employer is shifting the cost of rent and utilities and amenities and etc. onto you.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They won't be the only ones. We've been working from home too and I doubt I will return to the office anytime soon because I've demonstrated that I can get my stuff done without being present in the office. I don't know about FB adjusting salary according to the place one lives for tax reasons, but more work from home seems like a net benefit, especially in terms of environment.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Companies will save millions by passing the burden of workspace to you and then cut your salaries. Remote work will hurt employees in almost every instance. It blows my mind how many people here don't see this.

It could work well for some people if the decrease in pay pales to the decrease in cost of living.

Companies will save a ton on real estate costs and now every WFH position can be filled by anyone in the world, which will screw people over the most.

Only only hiring people "in the cheapest parts of the country".

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
WTF, so theyre gonna base your pay on COL? That is some bullshit.
Are you guys serious? Pay is always adjusted for CoL for national companies. Iirc for Google you could take like a 30% pay cut moving from San Francisco to Pittsburgh.

It makes sense. A 2mil house in SF is like 500k in Pittsburgh.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As has been the case with the rise of social communications taking a more impersonal anonymous route making everything just generally worse in society, so too will be the case for workers upward movement and status in the workplace if work from home takes hold. Now the boss really won't give a shit about you.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020

This is a dramatic take that won't happen. What FB is proposing is something that won't affect every single worker, only those who relocate which you wouldn't be able to do if you need to go to an office. It is a dumb proposal that should be taken to court, but it hardly has anything to do with WFH and the mental / environmental benefits it produces.

Working from home is already a substantial pay cut, as your employer is shifting the cost of rent and utilities and amenities and etc. onto you.

How substantial? You mean higher electricity usage?

Oct 27, 2017
Do people not realize pay has always been based on your location?

If the bump in utility costs for you is more than the savings on your commute (train pass, gas, etc), you're doing something strange...

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Allowing full remote work drastically widens the pool of employees. How're US workers going to compete with people across the world? It's gonna be an interesting dynamic

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yup this is what I was hoping wouldn't happen.

Of course they want to pay someone living in remote Indiana $50k vs. $200k if they were living in SF.
I mean it makes perfect sense. To hire someone now from Indiana, they'd have to adjust their pay up to SF cost of living situations. I have some experience with job offers of this type if anyone is interested.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Are you guys serious? Pay is always adjusted for CoL for national companies. Iirc for Google you could take like a 30% pay cut moving from San Francisco to Pittsburgh.

It makes sense. A 2mil house in SF is like 500k in Pittsburgh.

I'm thinking on a more local level though. Some people already commute out farther from outside of the Bay Area because that's the only place where cheap places can still be found. So what about people that live somewhere local-ish, and decide to WFH because the commute is awful? Do they also get pay cuts?

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
yeah. i don't get the stupid complaints here. in what fucking world does it make any sense to continue to pay someone $200k a year when they move from a place where a 1bd costs $3000+ a month, to a place where the average might be $1500. These people have the salaries they have, largely because it is tech in the bay area. If I as an employee stay in SF because i love the city, culture, etc., my peer shouldn't make the same as me if they up and move to Boise.

when i chose to relocate from Los Angeles to Denver, sure, Denver is still pretty expensive, but my expected salary had to be adjusted to account for going from an expensive city to a less expensive city. How do people not get this?

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How are you all so naive? This is going to be terrible. They are passing cost to you and then paying you less. They'll save millions and you'll get less.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are being overly dramatic. Facebook isn't going to drastically halve pay for people moving to the South. It'll likely be a ~20k difference at most. They pay a fuck ton of money already!

How are you all so naive? This is going to be terrible. They are passing cost to you and then paying you less. They'll save millions and you'll get less.
Facebook sucks but they've never been that shitty at pay for these type of roles.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking on a more local level though. Some people already commute out farther from outside of the Bay Area because that's the only place where cheap places can still be found. So what about people that live somewhere local-ish, and decide to WFH because the commute is awful? Do they also get pay cuts?

I don't know if they will be taking a pay cut in general but all of Bay Area is considered as one pay group even for companies with offices in SF and South Bay.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. i don't get the stupid complaints here. in what fucking world does it make any sense to continue to pay someone $200k a year when they move from a place where a 1bd costs $3000+ a month, to a place where the average might be $1500. These people have the salaries they have, largely because it is tech in the bay area. If I as an employee stay in SF because i love the city, culture, etc., my peer shouldn't make the same as me if they up and move to Boise.

when i chose to relocate from Los Angeles to Denver, sure, Denver is still pretty expensive, but my expected salary had to be adjusted to account for going from an expensive city to a less expensive city. How do people not get this?

How do people not get that they'll shift to hiring people in Alabama that they can pay $40K a year? Don't be stupid.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's normal actually in big tech companies. They pay more in more expensive areas cause CoL is higher.

but it's nowhere near as extreme as what people are assuming.

it's basically 160k vs 190k type situations.

I've seen it greater than that. But usually they don't give you a massive pay cut (because at least before if they allow you to move they value your contribution enough to jump through hoops for you), they just exclude you from raises until you reach some kind of equilibrium.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This is just the start. Teleworking is going to justify lower wages due to no commute and the higher productivity in fewer hours of the day. Since there's less socializing at the office, you are much more productive because you get a days worth of work done in half the time.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
How do people not get that they'll shift to hiring people in Alabama that they can pay $40K a year? Don't be stupid.
Lol there's 0 chance FB does this.

This isn't Deloitte or some old big company that tries its hardest to pay employees less. It's FB. They have massive employee pay packages and benefits.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just cut everyone salary and give extra to people with higher COL. This isn't hard to figure out, many companies with office over the country are paying based on location

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these people would be getting paid around 160-180k in every major city in the south.

Are you presuming that's what Facebook will pay? Or are you saying that the average mid-sr dev would Otherwise be making 160k in Raleigh? Charlotte? Atlanta?

I work for a very large company in Atlanta and PMs are making right above $100k.

I don't think anybody except at the Principal/Staff/Architect/Sr manager level is making a base salary of 180k in the south. And that's probably extreme enough as it is.