• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, i bought an apple ipad pro and i just want to move a video from my PC (windows) to my ipad. why is it such a headache? why can't it just be a simple file list like android. this is the worst thing about owning apple shit.

Ray Wonder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I wanted to put a custom ringtone I composed, and holy shit.. It was damn near impossible. I gave up after converting files to some .ip4im4#411 or whatever file for the 3-4th time.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to put videos on my ipad so I could watch something while I was working on my model kit. Now I'll have to waste most of the night putting the shows on my ipad.........

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to put videos on my ipad so I could watch something while I was working on my model kit. Now I'll have to waste most of the night putting the shows on my ipad.........
As others have pointed out, install VLC. Or alternatively, install Plex on your desktop and buy the license for it on your iPad and stream your videos/music.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
How? because it won't even recognize the file in itunes to be put onto the device

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301

I recommend getting nPlayer. It's a paid app but I found it to be a lot more reliable than VLC.

Once you have it installed plug your iPad and launch iTunes. Go to File Sharing, select nPlayer and drag your files there. It'll play almost every format so you don't have to worry about converting.

This workflow works for most apps on iOS.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Already had VLC, didn't know i could send to that directly. So that's good. Doesn't stop this from being more convoluted than it should be.

EDIT: Thanks for all the help.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I just stream everything because I've come to hate itunes... if i need to get something onto another device i just forward it on messenger. Yes I'm a noob but I still don't wanna itunes.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I consider getting an iPhone, remembering the piece of shit that is iTunes puts me off of it without fail.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hate itunes too. Ways to avoid it

1) download icloud for windows - put the file in the upload folder and it'll sync to icloud where you can access it on your ipad
2) put the file on dropbox/onedrive/google drive and use something like 'documents' by readle to access the file and pass it on to a 3rd party app that has more flexible format support like VLC or infuse.
3) set up a plex server and put the file in there - if it isn't a movie or TV show you can set up a 'home movies' or similar folder

Oct 26, 2017
I got so confused when I bought an iPhone coming from android and couldn't just drag and drop music files and such. Have pretty much stopped listening to music because of itunes and Apple shit.

(Will still buy a macbook though)

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Infuse plus OneDrive or some other cloud service is the way to go. iTunes is such garbage.

It would be nice to have better access to the iPad's file system but that's all part of the APPLE EXPERIENCE I guess.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
2) put the file on dropbox/onedrive/google drive and use something like 'documents' by readle to access the file and pass it on to a 3rd party app that has more flexible format support like VLC or infuse.
You can do that with the built-in file browser in iOS 11, just access it on whatever cloud service you use and then open in whatever app associates with that file.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively, download a video player like VLC or Infuse and just transfer whatever format you want to view.
Off topic but have to ask, are you using Infuse with Google Drive? I can't seem to get it to load my Gdrive videos at all, it just keeps loading and loading but nothing happens :(

Infuse plus OneDrive or some other cloud service is the way to go. iTunes is such garbage.

It would be nice to have better access to the iPad's file system but that's all part of the APPLE EXPERIENCE I guess.

Same question to you too. Not sure why it's doing that.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Upload it to your iCloud drive and stream it from your iPad? I don't see the problem.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
iTunes has been a terrible piece of software from day one. I would rather throw out an iOS device than be forced to use it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
You can do that with the built-in file browser in iOS 11, just access it on whatever cloud service you use and then open in whatever app associates with that file.

cool - wasn't sure as the file stuff was a little immature last time I looked.

I haven't had itunes installed on my computer for over 5 years. icloud for windows is useful for me to import iphone photos into lightroom, and to export my DSLR photos from lightroom back to the iphone. Use plex for video content

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Platform wars. History of similar behaviour.
Guide to electronic happiness.

Step 1) Never buy anything from Apple EVER for ANY reason.

Step 2) There is no step 2.

Your are welcome.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
But I hear Cupertino from the Golden State makes great products
l.gif

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I actually like iTunes, but I normally use a Mac. Can't say I look forward having to run it on Windows.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but have to ask, are you using Infuse with Google Drive? I can't seem to get it to load my Gdrive videos at all, it just keeps loading and loading but nothing happens :(
Same question to you too. Not sure why it's doing that.
I pay for OneDrive so I haven't really used Infuse with anything else.

Streaming directly from OneDrive was unreliable for me in the past so I usually download my videos before playing (swipe left on video, last icon). Have you tried that?

Last edited:

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, i bought an apple ipad pro and i just want to move a video from my PC (windows) to my ipad. why is it such a headache? why can't it just be a simple file list like android. this is the worst thing about owning apple shit.
Just get Infuse Pro. Then you can use iTunes to just copy the file over pretty easily.
https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/215091047-iTunes-File-Sharing

Doing it via wifi is even easier if you're not tethered to the computer at the time.

Rask

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I haven't used iTunes for managing my personal videos in years. The only time is when I buy movies on the iTunes store, then it's pretty seamless for streaming to multiple devices, etc. But my own videos? Nah, get VLC or GoodPlayer. If you want to stream from your computer or a network drive, buying a full license for Infuse has been a game changer. Got a 8tb HDD with all my content plugged into my router and I can stream anything on it to my iPad with Infuse. You can even transfer them to your iPad through the app. It's great stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
But I hear Cupertino from the Golden State makes great products
You heard right.

This case is clearly lack of user knowledge. Not shitting on OP here, but iTunes is not at fault. For most people, it need never even be touched for most things. You have so many options to load files. Cloud storage, flash drives, air drop, Walter, network transfer...

Seriously, no need to hate the all-around best media and library management tool on the planet.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sucks. Plex makes my iPad 10 times more useful, though. I would kill for an android tablet with the general quality and power of an iPad. It would make such a killer emulation machine with an 8bitdo controller paired.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
haven't used iTunes in ages.

i just use Dropbox, iCloud drive or OneDrive to sync shit, or AirDrop.

Without AirDrop (so, on Windows...) and without shamelessly abusing my unlimited bandwidth to upload gigs of data to the cloud and then back onto another device within the same apartment - i can see how this would still be a huge hassle.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I guess it's a PITA if you are using a Windows machine and have slow/limited internet or aren't dedicated enough to media consumption to set up a local library (for Plex / Infuse). I can't recall the last time I used iTunes for video management though. Most recently I used it to add some unknown artists music which wasn't on Apple Music and it flawlessly integrated into the whole experience across Apple TV/iPhone/iPad so I can't complain.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
You heard right.

This case is clearly lack of user knowledge. Not shitting on OP here, but iTunes is not at fault. For most people, it need never even be touched for most things. You have so many options to load files. Cloud storage, flash drives, air drop, Walter, network transfer...

Seriously, no need to hate the all-around best media and library management tool on the planet.
That's a fucking lie because you can't just take a file and put it into another folder on the iPad.

You have every option but the one people like.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Download VLC app for your Apple device.

Option 1 using iTunes - Connect your iPad to PC, go the your phone tab or whatever in iTunes, select apps on the left, scroll down past all those pictures of your screen, see VLC at the bottom, add anything you want, easy.

Option 2 - Open VLC on your iPad. Settings, set Sharing via WiFi on, Type that 192.168 whatever it ends into your PC browser, transfer over the files you want.

Also, https://www.resetera.com/threads/thank-you-windows-store-itunes-now-available.39133/

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
That's a fucking lie because you can't just take a file and put it into another folder on the iPad.

You have every option but the one people like.
You can add to a folder locally 2 ways. One is through the file management section in the in app inbox director within iTunes. That is one option. The other is to use your preferred file system on iOS and connect to it via a cable or access it through a browser. A browser is faster than your included lightning cable in most cases as well. This is another way to put a file in a folder.

People confuse no root access with lack of support for file management. It is infuriating. There are so many ways to do shit on iOS now, so many options.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its fucking unbelievable. An albatross. Its like someone would serve a big pile of shit at a restaurant as an appetizer and the whole world accepts and eats that shit before every meal.
I end up using dropbox more to transfer shit just so I don't go through it.