Oct 29, 2017
Evil Dead Rise' BTS Image Promises Bloody, Gory Goodness

Evil Dead Rise director Lee Cronin shared a new image of the highly-anticipated horror movie. While we haven't seen much of the new Evil Dead movie yet, the image promises the Deadites are as deadly as ever, leaving a trail of blood and guts everywhere they go.

While Evil Dead Rises was initially planned as an exclusive HBO Max release, Warner Bros. Discovery decided to give the horror sequel a theatrical run. Now, Evil Dead Rise will hit theaters on April 21, 2023.

View: https://twitter.com/curleecronin/status/1577724038939549696?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1577724038939549696%7Ctwgr%5E4db68ac0d35c459c88634a7a600203af3b1a0b8f%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcollider.com%2Fevil-dead-rise-image-deadites-lee-cronin%2F

Groovy

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Oh really? I just figured it was another reboot/remake. Having a direct sequel without Ash will be so weird.

I mean, it's sort of all those things?

Evil Dead canon is a weird beast, but it was confirmed the fourth movie was more a sequel, and the plan was to have an Army of Darkness 2, Evil Dead 2 and cap it off with a crossover movie.

But plans fell apart and we got Ash Vs Evil Dead instead.

The shake up of the setting this time around has me pretty excited for this one.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I mean, it's sort of all those things?

Not sure what you

Evil Dead canon is a weird beast, but it was confirmed the fourth movie was more a sequel, and the plan was to have an Army of Darkness 2, Evil Dead 2 and cap it off with a crossover movie.

But plans fell apart and we got Ash Vs Evil Dead instead.

The shake up of the setting this time around has me pretty excited for this one.

Is Evil Dead canon all that weird? I know the first and second films are kind of wonky and second is kind of like half remake and sequel iirc, but everything else is pretty straightforward. I know they couldn't directly acknowledge AoD in the show because of rights issues but I thought it was still canonical.

Yeah, and Bruce Campbell is attached as an executive producer. Not sure if he's going to actually be in the movie, however.

I'm pretty sure he was confirmed not to be afaik.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Not sure what you

Is Evil Dead canon all that weird? I know the first and second films are kind of wonky and second is kind of like half remake and sequel iirc, but everything else is pretty straightforward. I know they couldn't directly acknowledge AoD in the show because of rights issues but I thought it was still canonical.

All I meant was that sequel, reboot and remake are words that don't really apply to Evil Dead. Right from the first sequel, half of which doubled as a remake of the first one.

You sort of have to take the inconsistencies in your stride, rather than view them as canon breaking like some do for other franchises.

So while the oldsmobile was outside the cabin in the last Evil Dead movie, it was later said it was within the same continuity as the original three. Rise is effectively Evil Dead 5.

I just chalk up the inconsistencies as necronomicon shenanigans.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
All I meant was that sequel, reboot and remake are words that don't really apply to Evil Dead. Right from the first sequel, half of which doubled as a remake of the first one.

You sort of have to take the inconsistencies in your stride, rather than view them as canon breaking like some do for other franchises.

So while the oldsmobile was outside the cabin in the last Evil Dead movie, it was later said it was within the same continuity as the original three. Rise is effectively Evil Dead 5.

I just chalk up the inconsistencies as necronomicon shenanigans.

Well, I didn't understand what you meant because that wasn't really my experience. Outside ED2 being like half and half, the progression seemed pretty straightforward: ED1 > ED2 > AoD > Ash v ED. But you're saying that the remake from like 10 years ago with the female lead was supposed to be ED4? First I heard of that. I thought it was always a separate canon. I guess that muddies things then.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This movie is not connected to any of the other ones. It's another reboot. This has been known since the announcement. Campbell will not star as he has long since retired from playing Ash on screen according to himself. He's just a producer.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
This movie is not connected to any of the other ones. It's another reboot. This has been known since the announcement. Campbell will not star as he has long since retired from playing Ash on screen according to himself. He's just a producer.

He'll do a Pizza Poppa style cameo still in it I'm sure :D

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I didn't understand what you meant because that wasn't really my experience. Outside ED2 being like half and half, the progression seemed pretty straightforward: ED1 > ED2 > AoD > Ash v ED. But you're saying that the remake from like 10 years ago with the female lead was supposed to be ED4? First I heard of that. I thought it was always a separate canon. I guess that muddies things then.

Ash was in the Evil Dead 2013 movie's post-credit scene, wasn't he? I think it was always supposed to be canon, but it doesn't really matter since it's self-contained. This new movie sounds the same, same continuity, but different characters.

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017

Ash appears in the credits teaser at end of the last Evil Dead movie. The implication that it was a sequel has always been there.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Ash appears in the credits teaser at end of the last Evil Dead movie. The implication that it was a sequel has always been there.

The director of 2013 just a couple years ago also said that the movie to him was made as a sequel and part of the franchise.

Course the video game now has the 2013 content mixed with the rest of the Evil dead stuff too now too

It's not a "remake" really though, its different characters, it's not the Knowby cabin, setting, different main demon, etc. The director pretty much said similarities to the original Evil Dead films is just pure ironic coincidence, but they still are totally new

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Ash was in the Evil Dead 2013 movie's post-credit scene, wasn't he? I think it was always supposed to be canon, but it doesn't really matter since it's self-contained. This new movie sounds the same, same continuity, but different characters.

Didnt they say they hoped to do like a EDRemake2 and AOD2 then the universes would come together but didn't know if that could happen and the stinger could either be seen a tease of that or just a fun Easter Egg for fans depending on how it went (which the latter ended up being the case)? Maybe I'm misremembering that but I thought it was clarified that it was its own canon at some point, possibly around the time of the TV show?

But either way, that's still not all the confusing. You just kind of insert EDRemake in-between the show and AoD. Im still not sure why remake and sequel and reboot has no meaning really

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
It's not a "remake" really though, its different characters, it's not the Knowby cabin, setting, different main demon, etc. The director pretty much said similarities to the original Evil Dead films is just pure ironic coincidence, but they still are totally new

Well, not every remake is a shot for shot remake, so some basics being different wouldn't matter all that music to whether something was a "remake". It obviously follows the same basic ideas and structure of the original just with some subversions. I'm not sure what the second part of your post means. The similarities were ironic coincidences? Huh?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Well, not every remake is a shot for shot remake, so some basics being different wouldn't matter all that music to whether something was a "remake". It obviously follows the same basic ideas and structure of the original just with some subversions. I'm not sure what the second part of your post means. The similarities were ironic coincidences? Huh?

That's the director's own words, that the similarities between the original Evil Dead and 2013 were purely ironic, a dark fate in relation to dealing with the dark ones. It's a similar setup and scenario, but it's still all different. Was in a 2020 interview from what I recall where he mentioned that the movie is set in the same universe and his reasoning.

Fans have gone back and forth on it, the director says it's a sequel essentially, so it's kind of up to the fans to accept that. For many I assume they won't accept anything unless it comes out of Sam Raimi's mouth

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I hope it's good. The Evil Dead series has a really solid track record with each entry being genuinely great in its own way, while still capturing the Evil Dead magic. The original trilogy, the remake and the show - all straight bangers.

The good news is that the series is really elastic with a variety of tones and styles, plus Bruce, Sam and Rob are still overseeing things. So we should be on track here.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
That's the director's own words, that the similarities between the original Evil Dead and 2013 were purely ironic, a dark fate in relation to dealing with the dark ones. It's a similar setup and scenario, but it's still all different. Was in a 2020 interview from what I recall where he mentioned that the movie is set in the same universe and his reasoning.

Fans have gone back and forth on it, the director says it's a sequel essentially, so it's kind of up to the fans to accept that. For many I assume they won't accept anything unless it comes out of Sam Raimi's mouth

Are you saying that within the narrative it's all a coincidence or the film being so similar is a coincidence? Because the former I see, but zero way the latter is true lol

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
The director has said that the remake can be read as a direct sequel to the original film, but one in which Ash dies at the end alongside his friends the rest of the trilogy doesn't happen. There are definitely things in the film that point in that direction, such as Ash's car being abandoned outside the cabin, or the Deadites mimicking the voices of Ash's friends to taunt the new characters.

But as people have said, it doesn't really matter. Evil Dead's continuity is famously loose and messy so slotting in the remake becomes a non-issue. Personally, I like to think of the remake as a side story in the same universe as the trilogy/show. I'll probably end up thinking of the new movie in the same way, depending on how compatible its story is.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
The 2013 movie was really good.

the-evil-dead-chainsaw.gif

Hope the new one keeps the quality up.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
But as people have said, it doesn't really matter. Evil Dead's continuity is famously loose and messy so slotting in the remake becomes a non-issue. Personally, I like to think of the remake as a side story in the same universe as the trilogy/show. I'll probably end up thinking of the new movie in the same way, depending on how compatible its story is.

Right, folks to this day still come out and say Evil Dead 2 is a remake of ED1, when this has been debunked over and over. Rights issues plague the series, they couldn't use footage from ED1 so they had to redo stuff going into 2, but it was always a sequel but of course that created some continuity issues. Then there is the issue with AOD and them not being able to use it for Ash Vs Evil Dead and they kind of just ignored all of that in the series by not talking about it...

Aug 19, 2022
So is this going for more straight horror of the remake or the goofy horror of the Sam Raimi films? I much prefer the latter, but I know a lot of people really loved the remake.

Aug 19, 2022
Problem is I don't know if they can hit that comedic Raimi touch.
I never watched the remake because one of my horror fan coworkers at the time went to go see it and was like, "Yeah, it's so violent and serious now. The Raimi films were dumb." and that just made me never want to see it, but the positive word of mouth from people who love both is making me reconsider. Maybe this weekend.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I never watched the remake because one of my horror fan coworkers at the time went to go see it and was like, "Yeah, it's so violent and serious now. The Raimi films were dumb." and that just made me never want to see it, but the positive word of mouth from people who love both is making me reconsider. Maybe this weekend.

It's a brutal and great movie. It emulates much of Raimi's trademark style, but it's much more serious in tone as well. It's a hardcore splatter flick , but really well done

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Right, folks to this day still come out and say Evil Dead 2 is a remake of ED1, when this has been debunked over and over. Rights issues plague the series, they couldn't use footage from ED1 so they had to redo stuff going into 2, but it was always a sequel but of course that created some continuity issues. Then there is the issue with AOD and them not being able to use it for Ash Vs Evil Dead and they kind of just ignored all of that in the series by not talking about it...
The opening of AoD is also a complete rewrite of the ending of ED II. Then, of course, season 2 of the show completely rewrites the franchise's timeline, only for season 3 to ignore that and carry on as normal.

This is not a franchise you should go to for hard continuity, lore or even a basic understanding of cause & effect. You just gotta go with the flow.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Take it from someone who adores this series, the remake is not only an excellent Evil Dead movie but one of the best horror films of the 2010s. You're doing yourself a disservice by not checking it out.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I miss the all-white eye lences.

Yeah, I also don't like the "Sith lord" lenses used here and in the last film. But its a very minor nitpick.

I still have faith that this'll be a cracker of a movie. Especially as it tested well, and the old guard vetted the new crew and concept pretty rigorously.

Hopefully this is a sign marketing is due to start gearing up. (It's Halloween and there's plenty of time left to drop a trailer tonight for the spooky season... 🤞)

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020

I see we're going back to the "Deadites with pupils" look from the 2013 film. That's fine. It helps differentiate it from the core entries with Ash and I understand that they want to put their own spin on the material. What I really like here is the manic, sadistic smile the Deadite is rocking. That's very Evil Dead and is a great first impression.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
Really hope this ends up being great! I'll take more Evil Dead however I can get it.

I watched 2013 a few weeks ago for the first time since I saw it in theaters. Hated it the first go around, quite enjoyed it this time. I think I walked into it with a closed mind back then as I wanted Evil Dead IV, not a remake. And while I still prefer the OG films and Ash vs Evil Dead, I'm glad I finally gave it another chance. The third act is just... *chefs kiss*

But yeah, really wish both films used the white eyes. To me deadites = white eyes and it's way creepier. That said, it's a minor complaint and I get why they are going that route. In the end, as long as they are causing bloody mayhem while taunting and tormenting their victims I'll be happy!