• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone who played Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, MtG, Duel Masters and even that crappy Star Wars TCG back in the day, the three lane setup looks super interesting but it's gonna be a huge barrier of entry for many people. Hope this can do well off the combined popularity of Valve/Steam and Dota.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This finally looks like the CCG I've been waiting for.

I am beyond hyped, as it looks deep, accessible and made with digital format in mind (areas where HS & MtG fail). Richard Garfield killed it on MtG & NetRunner and this looks like another winner.

I'm also very much enjoying the salt from so many internet kids drive by complaining.

Yes. Sell, trade, and buy directly from people. It shouldn't be an unusual feature in a card game, but it is.

Buying individual cards to make a deck in MtG was way more cost effective than buying boxes. Glad this economy is finally coming to an online CCG.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Pls don't be RNG heavy.

Also I get where the 'towers' are but where is the 'ancient'? Is there an Ancient that appears if you destroy a tower on a given lane?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Pls don't be RNG heavy.

Also I get where the 'towers' are but where is the 'ancient'? Is there an Ancient that appears if you destroy a tower on a given lane?

They say I understood, the players HP are the ancient, tho I dont think we have seen a visualization of that in the game yet (if there is one)

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a quality game but I'm not much of a fan of virtual card games, so it seems like it continues to be easy to ignore Valve's current output

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It allows for nice abstractions. It's basically just a turn based strategy game. Cards are just units/spells/

As for why do it digital instead of physical, it lets you do things that are impossible in real life, like creating new cards randomly from a large pool (discover mechanic of hearthstone), play with hidden information (can't do that in magic because it would lead to cheating, like recruit or "if you're holding a dragon" in HS) and also play anywhere, any time, without being bound by tournament structures and the time of other players. It's a huge draw (pun intended)
All TCG/CCG's are turn based strategy games. This is not different other than you play on three different boards with this one.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
They say I understood, the players HP are the ancient, tho I dont think we have seen a visualization of that in the game yet (if there is one)
I see. Do you know if there's any type of action the ancient can take? Is it like a Hearthstone Hero? Or is both the Ancient and a Tower just a shell for a given HP pool?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Being able to actually trade sounds big.
When you beat a tower (40 HP), an Ancient appears there with 80 HP.
You win by destroying two towers or an Ancient.
Oh alright. Like asked above, is there something special an Ancient can do or is it just basically another (stronger) tower?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Being able to actually trade sounds big.

Oh alright. Like asked above, is there something special an Ancient can do or is it just basically another (stronger) tower?

So far it sounds like just a stronger tower.

The hero aspect comes this way:

You must have 5 heroes in your deck.

Each hero comes with a card, of which 3 copies are automatically and mandatorily added to your deck.

Each hero has a color, and is deployed to a lane. You can only play spells of a color in a lane where a hero of the same color is also deployed.

An example of a hero & their card:

Luna_card_art.jpg

70.png

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If only... at least it would either mean a F2P game and / or a game where you have all the card from the get go.

We'll no doubt get rad cosmetics - rare art Heroes, new Couriers to help flip through your cards, altered game boards etc.

And having played enough F2P card games for one lifetime, I'm glad we're getting one where cards hold their value and a robust market place to offload them / buy what I need.

I remember in MtG designing decks with friends and then going out and just buying what we needed. It was a hell of a lot better than buying boxes or dusting in HS.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Already looks miles better than the hearthstone "competition".

I am not fond of the cash shop/trade aspect, of course (I like the abstraction card games provide and never understood people that think it's bad - it's one of the BEST ways to do assymetric variable skills with a chance elements and instantly makes sense, but I do not like the collectible aspect), but I see why they're doing it.

One day we'll get a proper drafting game ala Dominions that utilizes the card aspect properly. We've only scratched the surface of what you can do with digital cards.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe people are hating on the fact it's a digital TCG....

The game itself feels daunting at first and considering the constant stagnant meta in Hearthstone lately this will give the game a kick to be better at improving. Looking forward to playing it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's basically my most wanted game this year - and Smash is also coming so that means something!

Looks great! I'm looking forward to diving into the mechanics and also to customize the hell out of decks.
It's also pretty easy to see where the cosmetics are hooking in later. I guess it's not really the table that gets customized but the courier, the back of the cards and the card-shop-box, since both players are viewing those.
So the table is the same for both players while both can bring their cosmetics to show off to the other player.

Edit: It's always a little distracting to see players trying a game out that obviously don't really have a grasp on the genre. He didn't look like he knew what he was doing. And explaining the target for that relatively simple card working on both sides somewhat blew his mind... Hew boy, this game is not the right one to start the genre with.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Already looks miles better than the hearthstone "competition".

Does it though?

I play a lot of Hearthstone. I very easily got Gwent and played it for a while, ditto Shadowverse, TESO:Legends, even stuff like Faeria. They were all very graspable for someone familiar enough with CCGs in general.

Having seen Artifact being played, I still have no fucking idea about how almost anything works. It looks vastly more complex than Hearthstone, and that is far from a good thing. How long do you have to play each turn? How long is the average game? How does it work on a much smaller screen? How intuitive or abusable are the mechanics?

Hearthstone is the king. It's the king because it's eminently understandable and very player friendly. You can play a game on the bus, in the bath, in bed, at your desk, etc. You can understand most cards within 5 seconds of reading them. When you win, or lose, you know why you won, or lost.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Was completely surprised to see how much DotA is in this. The lanes, towers, pushes etc. Looks lovely and animated extremely well. So much more than I was expecting from a card game. Hope it does well.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
Does it though?

I play a lot of Hearthstone. I very easily got Gwent and played it for a while, ditto Shadowverse, TESO:Legends, even stuff like Faeria. They were all very graspable for someone familiar enough with CCGs in general.

Having seen Artifact being played, I still have no fucking idea about how almost anything works. It looks vastly more complex than Hearthstone, and that is far from a good thing. How long do you have to play each turn? How long is the average game? How does it work on a much smaller screen? How intuitive or abusable are the mechanics?

Hearthstone is the king. It's the king because it's eminently understandable and very player friendly. You can play a game on the bus, in the bath, in bed, at your desk, etc. You can understand most cards within 5 seconds of reading them. When you win, or lose, you know why you won, or lost.
read this article it will help https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/05/01/artifact-dota-card-game-from-valve-preview/

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in this game, but I have my doubts on how this game is going to work on my cellphone

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I believe Valve has stated avg game time is 15 minutes.

It is being adapted for mobile for 2019 release.

HS is king because it was first to market with high polish. The underlying gameplay is wayy too simple with no depth at all. It's a great option for a lot of people, but if you want to approach MtG/NetRunner and want real depth to your card game it will bore you to tears.

I love a lot of casual games - Animal Crossing is my GOAT - but from a card game I want real strategy and HS isn't there.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Having seen Artifact being played, I still have no fucking idea about how almost anything works. It looks vastly more complex than Hearthstone, and that is far from a good thing.

Depends on your perspective. I view this as a good thing, for Hearthstone and all of its competitors are sorely lacking in that department. Making clones of it that "you instantly understand" and "play in the bath" just makes you a bad hearthstone.

A real alternative should try to look to address other kinds of players, in my opinion.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I'm really excited for this. I've only got into real life card games finally in the past year. Still haven't got into any digital ones and since I love Dota 2 I think it won't be too hard for me to really like this.
I hope it comes with VR support right at launch. I would love to play in my Vive

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Does it though?

Magic is a very complicated game to be fair and that does alright. I think the Valve name is enough to carry this thing into Top 10 concurrent players on steam easy. Whether it turns out to be a good game remains to be seen but I'm hopeful.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Having seen Artifact being played, I still have no fucking idea about how almost anything works. It looks vastly more complex than Hearthstone, and that is far from a good thing.
Assume that every card in a lane will automatically attack, and will always target either another card, or deal direct damage to the tower. The UI very clearly shows, prior to the engagement, which cards will be killed or damaged. That much doesn't seem very complicated, and I think that the average HS player could understand the system after a small adjustment period.
The depth will come from juggling three boards at once with one hand. If anything, it reminds me of a larger scale L5R, or Elder Scrolls Legends with an additonal lane.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
As the last time we saw it, it's looking really good and I'm excited for this. I bet this will turn all the people that were booing the reveal of this at the International last year.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

It is being adapted for mobile for 2019 release.

HS is king because it was first to market with high polish. The underlying gameplay is wayy too simple with no depth at all. It's a great option for a lot of people, but if you want to approach MtG/NetRunner and want real depth to your card game it will bore you to tears.

I love a lot of casual games - Animal Crossing is my GOAT - but from a card game I want real strategy and HS isn't there.

15 min?! Damn... hmm.. not sure if good or bad for me.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will definitely check it out. I barely play Dota, but the aspect of gold and secret shop carrying over to this game is a nice touch. There's trading in this game. Nice. Artifact looks more like MtG than HS, which is a good thing. So hero spells only work with that hero. Kinda like legendary sorceries in Magic. Hearthstone doesn't scratch that itch anymore, so beta announcement when Valve?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Wow.

Even the most controlly of controlly match-ups in HS has an average game time of like 10 mins, tops. Thanks to all the aggro decks the true average game time is probably around 7 mins, if not less.

They're obviously targeting a more hardcore CCG demographic, but that also means this is going to be significantly more niche, More of a MtG:O competitor than something aiming at HS. With that smaller player base, you then get into matchmaking issues, and erode away much of what makes HS successful.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
They're obviously targeting a more hardcore CCG demographic, but that also means this is going to be significantly more niche, More of a MtG:O competitor than something aiming at HS. With that smaller player base, you then get into matchmaking issues, and erode away much of what makes HS successful.
I don't think that part of your conclusion is well-supported.

"Smaller" in this context might mean ~100000 rather than a million+, but that's still on order of magnitude more than what is required to provide very solid and immediate matchmaking, especially in a 1 vs 1 game.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that part of your conclusion is well-supported.

"Smaller" in this context might mean ~100000 rather than a million+, but that's still on order of magnitude more than what is required to provide very solid and immediate matchmaking, especially in a 1 vs 1 game.

This game will probably be huge, but you're right. I play Eternal which has a Steam concurrent of ~1k - 2k at any time (this does NOT include mobile obviously, but I can't imagine that adding 10s of thousands). I rarely have to wait more than 30secs for a match.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I play "smaller" CCG's like Shadowverse, Gwent or Eternal and none of them had MM issues.

Being 1v1 and turn based helps a lot with not needing a gigantic playerbase for good MM.

Unless the game completely craters MM it will be fine.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Looks interesting. But I bet the marketing department of Valve screams when they found out the new Red Dead Redemption info release the same day with this game LOL

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Half Life 3 is the obvious response. Any actual video game thats not a card game would be another one.
Hey now, hey now. Think about it from Valve's perspective.

A game released in a typical video game genre wouldn't allow Valve to skim money off of every card exchange players have in addition to the up front cost of the game.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Hey now, hey now. Think about it from Valve's perspective.

A game released in a typical video game genre wouldn't allow Valve to skim money off of every card exchange players have in addition to the up front cost of the game.

And this is why I never get excited about anything Valve does anymore. The title of this thread got me hype, I was like "cool a new valve game I know nothing about", opened thread, saw video... I don't even know why expected anything different. Still sucks though.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wow.

Even the most controlly of controlly match-ups in HS has an average game time of like 10 mins, tops. Thanks to all the aggro decks the true average game time is probably around 7 mins, if not less.

It's clear you're on #team hearthstone here, but the digital CCG market can sustain multiple large card games so no need to cape so hard.

Having said that, you are right - this is for players ready to graduate from HS to something with more depth. It will naturally come with a learning curve, but I trust Valve to ensure there is a high level accessibility as well. Already there are quality of life improvements like:

-revealed cards from your opponents hand remain revealed
-damage totals are calculated and displayed before you commit to doing anything
etc

I'm not sure a Valve-developed, Richard Garfield designed, Steam-released game will have an issue with population, but your concern is noted.

15 min?! Damn... hmm.. not sure if good or bad for me.

"12-15 minutes" is what I'm reading right now