• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I just had an idea for monetization.

Card Art Packs by different artists!

Artgerm, Sakimichan, etc.

Similar to the loadingscreens you can buy for dota 2 or how a lot of tournaments have premium styled cards.

Bet Valve is already a step ahead of me however.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
It's looking good, although I'm still not sure how I feel about the three lanes. That will either be the selling point of the game based on the depth that it offers or it will look/be too complex for the average player to consider getting into it.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Looks identical to what they showed us at the end of February, though I can't remember my session's exact math values on various cards. At this point, methinks they're grokking out math, powers, and how the MTX system will work, as opposed to the general design/UI/gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
I just had an idea for monetization.

Card Art Packs by different artists!

Artgerm, Sakimichan, etc.

Similar to the loadingscreens you can buy for dota 2 or how a lot of tournaments have premium styled cards.

Bet Valve is already a step ahead of me however.
I'm looking forward to seeing $100 variants of that cute goblin (or whatever the fuck it is :D) on the Steam Market :D

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It's looking good, although I'm still not sure how I feel about the three lanes. That will either be the selling point of the game based on the depth that it offers or it will look/be too complex for the average player to consider getting into it.

I honestly can't imagine that it will work out for them, it looks exhausting

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's exactly my thought too.

The reason Hearthstone is so financially successful is because it appeals to the casual masses.

I do like the production values of Artifact so far in this video.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I think it is definitely true that the complexity of three boards can have a negative impact on the playerbase in terms of raw numbers, but the same thing can be said about Dota 2 in comparison to League of Legends. And while the latter does have a much bigger playerbase, Dota 2 is still very successful on its own.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried about that too, but MtG is still the most popular paper card game despite being very complex in a lot of obtuse ways. Artifact doesn't look like it'll have anything as hard to understand as managing the stack or figuring the right number of lands for a deck.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
The amount of DOTA they're injecting in this is absolutely insane.

Presentation is amazing too.

Super excited.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think the presentation is really good, the animations are some of the best I've seen in the genre so far and designs are great. As a big dota player I think it's really interesting how it uses many of dota's mechanics in new ways (and of course it's cool seeing some of my favourite characters in another game!) but as all of you are saying the whole thing is a bit much to take in with all the lanes and stuff happening at the same time in different lanes, hopefully they'll have some good tutorials and/or also do some big work on the spectator mode if they want it to become an e-sport.

No?? Why would it be?

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely getting to the point where I want to try this more and more, but there is something dreadfully plain to the visual approach that is starting to feel like it's solidified. The board itself has no real character, it doesn't have the feeling of a lane and the composition of all three boards doesn't come across as being anything like the Dota map. And it's not like the card art is bad or something, but the base designs from Dota 2 feel pretty lacking and it seems like Valve is really struggling to imbue much personality to the world as they try to expand it.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to have to work after work. The three lanes seem overwhelming. Will this have micro transactions?

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks identical to what they showed us at the end of February, though I can't remember my session's exact math values on various cards. At this point, methinks they're grokking out math, powers, and how the MTX system will work, as opposed to the general design/UI/gameplay.
I loved your article about it. Do you know anything more about this recent Valve visit? When it started, how many outlets were there etc.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Welp. Remember to go try and steal something from their kitchen when you're there next time.

Heh, nah, we're all cool. Although I should point out, as soon as you take anything from Valve's kitchen, it's kind of magically replenished. Not even kidding. Plus, they always give us a giant bushel of swag whenever we swing by (which we give away in our annual charity drive every December). This year's Valve swag bag will include some seeeeeriously limited edition Artifact card-art prints, all contained in this limited-edition folder:

IMG_2725.jpg

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
What I've seen of Artifact looks pretty good. I've considered getting into Hearthstone before, but its simplicity (compared to other card games I've played), and the card-acquisition model held me back. Artifact looks to be trying a lot of new things, which has my interest for the moment. And just the fact that I can buy, sell, and trade cards, in a card game, makes it much more attractive.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Wait you can sell your cards? Is that a usual feature in these type of games? That's pretty great.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
details aren't out yet so we don't know
i'd be surprised if starter/precon decks aren't included when you buy the game for the 1st time though

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, card acquisition is what the Steam Marketplace was made for (not literally, but seriously). I used to place Magic irl, but could never be bothered to keep-up with the meta - which cards were banned, which were OP, the best way to make a deck, best way to take advantage of the Stack - but that was long after Magic had become commonplace. I think I'll get this Day 1, and either play seriously, or play casually but keep up with the meta.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Its interesting how polarizing the game has been. I for one am pretty psyched. I dislike the direction gwent has headed down, and originally enjoyed it for having a very unique take on card games. The lane system doesn't seem as complicated as its been made out to be; especially with the clear UI indications for incoming damage and death.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, from what I read, the lane system actually makes a lot of sense. Then again, I've played 3 vs 3 Two Headed Giant (so... 3 Headed Giant? :p ) M:TG with friends, so most CCGs are going to be more simple than that. :D

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
The single lanes look a bit too similar to Heartstone, but at least they're trying to make something more complex and that's always good for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll riot if Timbersaw, Ogre Magi and Sand King aren't in the game. Sand King probably is, since it's Gabe's favorite hero.
What could possible be cooler than a dota 2 based three lane card game by the creator of magic the gathering?
Another entry in a FPS franchise about zombies/aliens is way more exciting.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I'll riot if Timbersaw, Ogre Magi and Sand King aren't in the game. Sand King probably is, since it's Gabe's favorite hero.

Another entry in a FPS franchise about zombies/aliens is way more exciting.

Don't want to help the derail, so I'll just say I find this way way more exciting than another entry in either of those franchises. Excitement/"How cool is this?" is very subjective.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I like the visuals and the card art. Hopefully, there will be an open beta or demo so I can try it. Can't say I've played many card games.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, it's team multiplayer? Ugh, no thanks. I avoid such game out of principle nowadays. I hope there will be some duel 1on1 style, too.