Oct 25, 2017
canada
http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_...-2018-why-dragon-ball-fighterz-espn-game-year

Dragon Ball FighterZ (DBFZ) is not only the fighting game of the year, but also the best game to come out in Universe 9, the ninth of the twelve universes in the Dragon Ball series.

The anime fighter united the fighting game community and thrust the genre into the public consciousness. There were many ways DBFZ could fail as a fighting game. It would be dead on arrival if it prioritized imagery and graphics over gameplay, a game for fan service, or it played too much like other games that solely leverage a well-known franchise title. It wasn't enough to combine the popularity of the Dragon Ball series with the concept of a fighting game; there needed to be proof that this wasn't a flash in the pan.

DBFZ struck a delicate balance between simple and complex with an easy control scheme and auto combos that also provided the blueprint for a deeper fighting system. In place of tight-frame windows to perform a combo, timing presses were forgiven for chunk damage.
With the implementation of a super dash, mobility was no longer a halt for beginners, but the system also allowed grinders to move quickly with instant air dashes. While it would take practice for optimal play and mobility, the learning curve was not an impossible barrier. Not since Street Fighter 4 has there been a game that brought in both new and veteran players and combined different groups of styles together. DBFZ's player base was a melting pot of anime and air-dashers, 2D and 3D fighters, and everything in between. The game provided a great bridge for newcomers who wanted to experience a dream fight in a beloved universe.

664.gif

I was a filthy FG casual before this game. I played Smash, SFV, and especially KOF. But I only really got so far. This game tho, THIS GAME is a dream come true. 4500 matches and 600hrs later, im Majin ranked. ESPN doing gods work.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Is the Universe 9 thing a meme? Because we're part of Universe 7 in the actual series.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the competitive setting, I can actually agree on this. Well done Arc System Works. You got ESPN to talk about anime a second time.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It's rare that I agree with ESPN's analysis of anything...

...but that's actually a great choice. The game is insanely fun and handles accessibility atypically well for a fighting game. Weird that a sports media outlet has seemingly got it more right than the gaming outlets I've seen get posted here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of competitive games introduced this year, it is totally the best choice, so I'll allow it.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
This is definitely a great pick for GOTY if you're coming at it from a competitive games standpoint as ESPN should.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
But I thought God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 were supposed to be GOTY. How are people allowed to have their own views and opinions? /s

giphy.webp

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Like I posted in the other thread, our ladies are covered up very nicely so I feel that might give it an edge over something like Street Fighter, etc where the girls are ahem, lightly dressed