Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Wait why are they delisting the game? That doesn't make any sense lol

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
This was known before, however, Nintendo's socials posted because there is new information regarding the shutdown (at least I don't remember this info. Maybe it's the Fire Emblem stuff).

Mainly:

If I visit Nintendo eShop for Wii U or Nintendo 3DS after 27 March 2023, what will I be able to do?

On both platforms, users will still be able to:
  • Redownload content they own
  • Download existing software updates
On both platforms, users will not be able to:
  • Purchase any content
    • On Nintendo 3DS systems, this includes paid content, plays and passes in software such as StreetPass Mii Plaza, the Theme Shop, Nintendo Badge Arcade and Pokémon Bank.
    • On Wii U consoles, this includes passes in software such as Wii Sports Club.
  • Download demos
  • Download free-to-start software
  • Redeem download codes
  • Add funds to their Nintendo eShop balance
On Nintendo 3DS systems, users will still be able to:
  • Download a small number of free themes from the Theme Shop

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why is fates being delisted? Is there something I don't know about it?

I assume because they want to give people time to play through to chapter 6 of FE Fates, where in the download version at that point you choose between the birthright and conquest paths (unlike the retail where you already chose which version you got by the gamecard you bought), which only at that point then downloads the path you choose and also then unlock the ability to buy the other path.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
fire emblem fates special edition price on march 28:

🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
This kind of thing has to become unacceptable. It literally costs them nothing relatively to keep these stores alive.
Can not wait to hear people defend this and tell you how nobody cares about these systems anymore and then in 3 years complain that why a copy of their favorite game is like 300 bucks.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
why is the Fates bit not the headline, we've known all the other details for months

were you offline for the last few months? this already made headlines everywhere, with the dates and everything

Apparently i was! Have just passed me i guess. All this is what i fear with a digital only future and Nintendo slamming down hard on emulation :/

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, was being able to download software updates known? That's a silver lining at least, if you can do that for updates of games you install after the shutdown.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
And this only pisses me off about not being able to get the Special Edition ahead of scalpers years ago even more.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So happy I got the Fates SE with all paths on the cart.
Still need to play it. Somehow the game didn't grab me like Awakening and Three Houses

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not if they announce a Switch 2 remake. Could be the reason they'll delist it earlier.

Zero chance they rerelease fates instead of Awakening, if they were to port one of the 3ds FE games.

As I said above, it's simpler than that, I think it's due to the fact that for the digital version, you *have* to play fates through to chapter 6 where you then choose which of the DLC routes you want to claim (and also at that point, download), that you already paid for, presumably processed through the same servers that are shutting down, but it requires a non-zero amount of playtime and anyone getting the game on the shutdown date might fuck themselves over if they don't get to that point and claim one of them.

Dunbar

Dec 9, 2017
Columbus, OH
When I was trying to stock up on 3DS games before the eShop goes offline, I didn't have any problem buying FE Birthright and then buying Conquest and Revelation as DLC. I haven't played the game at all so I haven't gotten to the chapter 6 point folks have mentioned. If I want to eventually play through the whole thing, do I need to do something beyond just buy the game and 2 DLC packs?

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
Holdup holdup holdup holdup I didn't know that we can't add funds after the end of next month too.

Uggggh I got to get on some purchases.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Well, well, my used Fates Special Edition copy will increase in value even more.

To think now that Revelations will be lost unless you bought the DLC or the special edition. And many other games too.

Just a question: people raised hell when Sony tried to do this shit with the PS3 and Vita. Why they don't do the same with Nintendo?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Oh, was being able to download software updates known? That's a silver lining at least, if you can do that for updates of games you install after the shutdown.
implicitly, not explicitly known, yea.

all they're doing is shutting down the parts where they'd have to manage payment services for legacy systems (and don't want to bother figuring out how to integrate the old shop system into the current system, migrating everything and back-porting a "new" eShop onto those platforms).

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Start putting first party games on sale at some point please, thanks.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've been denying this for so long now, but I guess I need to sit down and see if there's any last minute purchases I need to make soon.

Here's hoping they're able to activate and move accounts around as necessary for years to come.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Considering the last big announcement made it sound like we couldn't even download anything after March 2023, this is a little reassuring. Glad to see we can at least re-download the games we already own. I thought the whole thing was getting shut down.

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
And here I was just about to put up all my 3DS games for sale (including Fates SE).

Guess I'll wait another year+

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
All the "content will remain available for the foreseeable future" that portends making it inaccessible at some point totally puts the brakes on any digital purchases for me. We all know this is possible but language that drives this home is rough.

I try to track down dull games on physical, or just a steeply discounted Steam code. It is remarkable how my buying has shifted.

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of thing has to become unacceptable. It literally costs them nothing relatively to keep these stores alive.
Can not wait to hear people defend this and tell you how nobody cares about these systems anymore and then in 3 years complain that why a copy of their favorite game is like 300 bucks.
Given the services that are being left up, it almost seems like their issue is managing the old payment gateway, not necessarily costs for hosting the game content...regardless it does suck. They could figure something out if they really wanted to keep it open. Maybe completely revamping it to use the new NSO, but it's possible the weird HW locked account system of the 3DS and Wii U make this more difficult? I dunno.

I'm not actually sure if availability of digital affects the cost of physical media though. Because it's the scarcity of physical copies, not complete inability to play the game, that drives up those costs

All the "content will remain available for the foreseeable future" that portends making it inaccessible at some point totally puts the brakes on any digital purchases for me. We all know this is possible but language that drives this home is rough.

I try to track down dull games on physical, or just a steeply discounted Steam code. It is remarkable how my buying has shifted.
I'm not sure it portends anything as I'm not sure any digital store explicitly states content will be up forever. In fact, the licenses in stores (including PC) usually include language that implies that isn't the case and that they can always remove content

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a second Wii U for $60 on FB Marketplace. Guess I should load it up while I can.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Given the services that are being left up, it almost seems like their issue is managing the old payment gateway, not necessarily costs for hosting the game content...regardless it does suck. They could figure something out if they really wanted to keep it open. Maybe completely revamping it to use the new NSO, but it's possible the weird HW locked account system of the 3DS and Wii U make this more difficult? I dunno.

I'm not actually sure if availability of digital affects the cost of physical media though. Because it's the scarcity of physical copies, not complete inability to play the game, that drives up those costs

I'm not sure it portends anything as I'm not sure any digital store explicitly states content will be up forever. In fact, the licenses in stores (including PC) usually include language that implies that isn't the case and that they can always remove content
They could have gone with the route sony went and just disabled the payment methods on the console. People can add funds through the web store or the newer systems.
As for the prices, Some 3DS games are already pretty expensive. Even if this didn't affect the physical prices, having the games at a reasonable price at all times is the way to go. Many people would just go with the illegal route if the games become "inaccesible enough".

julian

Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't really mean anything. They're never going to guarantee something is available for all time as that's an impossible promise. They've kept the ability to download your Wii and DSi purchases despite the shops closing years ago if that's any sign of how they'll handle this.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
They could have gone with the route sony went and just disabled the payment methods on the console. People can add funds through the web store or the newer systems.
As for the prices, Some 3DS games are already pretty expensive. Even if this didn't affect the physical prices, having the games at a reasonable price at all times is the way to go. Many people would just go with the illegal route if the games become "inaccesible enough".
The real annoyance is that they took Wii U games off their web store. So you can still easily buy 3DS games but Wii U games have one extra hassle to them.