Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I just had one of those in-the-shower realizations hit me as I was doing some chores just now (this time it was folding the laundry that did it).

I have never lived alone.

Growing up with my parents and siblings.
College, sharing a dorm with one or more roommates.
Grad school, same thing as college, but with houses and apartments.
Started dating someone, we move in together and eventually get married.

So, Era, have I missed out on something? Is living alone all that it's cracked up to be?

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I dig it, but I'm also an introvert who doesn't mind very much if I go days without interacting with people.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't like it all that much tbh. But dealing with a painful breakup at the time probably didn't help matters.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved living along in the beginning og med school, but only because I could easily hang with friends otherwise.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You get used to it. Just make sure you're balancing your social side so you don't become a hermit lol.

The best part is full control of your living space.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Living alone is great. You can do whatever you want whenever you want

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yeah I have in college. I had a cottage in Tucson my senior year right near the university.

I was thinking about that the other day too. I think almost all of my friends have never lived alone which is a weird realization.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I live alone now and it's largely awesome. It can get a little lonely, sure, but living with others can be a hassle.

I pay for myself and live for myself.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I lived with roommates or girlfriends my entire youth.

Now in my forties I live alone and it's great. I like alone time and I like for things to be the way I like.

Will I always live alone? Who knows. But it's working for me now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for one year, I liked it but I've never minded living with roommates either.

My wife has almost never slept at home alone in her life. I think it's like less than 5 days total sleeping alone in a house/apt/etc.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I dig it, but I'm also an introvert who doesn't mind very much if I go days without interacting with people.

Same. I've lived alone now for the last 4 years and it's great. I couldn't imagine having to put up with someone else. I can do what I want, whenever I want and not worry about anyone else.

Scary sometimes when you think if anything happens to you nobody would be around to help you. Getting sick while living alone is horrible too.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
So, Era, have I missed out on something? Is living alone all that it's cracked up to be?

Absolutely. The joy of having total control over ever minutia of your living space and routine is something that needs to be experienced. But for how long?

That entirely depends on your personality and comfort level for how long it takes for your life to change from being alone to being lonely.

Last edited:

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
It can be fun and freeing because you can do whatever you want, wear whatever you want, watch whatever you want, etc.

But shopping and cooking can be tough unless you're ok eating the same stuff day after day, and god forbid you get sick. I had dogs that needed to be walked to be taken out when I was living alone, and when I got sick it was miserable taking them out.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I've never lived alone, I lived with my parents and then moved in with my now husband. To be honest, I am thankful for this, I HATED it when my parents went away when I still lived at "home" because I hated being alone at night.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've lived alone for over 15 years at this points. My mom kicked me out when I was 17 and since then I've had my own place.
I've had girlfriends who'd move in for a while but other than that it's just been me.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice most of the time since you can do whatever you want, but it's been pretty lonely since covid's been a thing. And in general getting sick sucks when you have no one to help you.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I've been living alone since around I got divorced, which is over 1.5 years now. It's peaceful (when you come from a toxic environment anyway) and you have a lot of free time for yourself. The good thing about the chores is that you do them when you feel they have to be done, no stress involved.

However, it may be a bit overwhelming when you get sick or simply want some company. Also, it's not good for your finances and having someone around is preferable to me.

I am grateful that I found a great woman last year and I've been planning to move to a new place with her. As soon as the pandemic situation is clear, hopefully we'll make it happen.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
I've lived alone for about 3-4 years. It's great if you're in the financial situation to do it sustainably. Only downside is loneliness which usually isn't a problem, but of course with the pandemic it's become a bit shit.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
If I wasnt living with my girlfriend I would prefer to live alone.

Ive had roommates in the past, good and bad, but it's just always a chore to deal with other people's bullshit eventually.

The positives are having one or more people to hang out with and do shit, cook etc. But you can do that without roommates.

Much preferred having the place to myself once I was able.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a year since living alone, and it's a lot better than living with my ex. I can watch my shows and play games in peace. Though I do have two cats to keep me company.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I have lived alone for almost 8 years. Haven't dated anyone in that time (or ever). It gets lonely. But sometimes it's nice. Like if I can't sleep I can do whatever I feel like at 3 AM.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Once you can attain sustainability, especially in the wake of living with roommates for an extended period of time, It's pretty great.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I've been living alone for a few months now. It fucking RULES, i love it. I haven't felt lonely yet. Zero loneliness. I love it.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has its pros and its cons. It depends on your personality, actually. The majority of people are better off maintaing the average household structure of like a spouse and kids or whatever other structure involves living with other people. But if you're the type of person that doesn't really need regular human interaction to survive, then living alone is great.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
I've lived alone several times inbetween relationships, and it's been great for the most part. Sure it might get lonely sometimes, but most of the time I enjoyed myself. Right now my GF is away for work for extended periods, which means I'm home alone quite often. I love it.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Lived alone for two years after my wife left me - and those two years were absolutely glorious. Don't get me wrong, I love my current wife and daughters, but those two years and the ability to do whatever I wanted when I wanted? Yeah, definitely miss that total freedom.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Did you immediately move in with the person you're dating after the first date or something. There wasn't even a tiny slither of a window where you were on your own?

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
No one tells you to clean up after yourself.
That sentence describes the liberation and loneliness of living alone.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Yes, it was nice but it made really want to date, because I would get lonely at night especially for some reason.

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
I thotoughly enjoyed my years of living alone, and occasionally I do miss having total control over my living space... In particular when I have a hankering for something less healthy to have for dinner.

That said, living together with a partner has its own perks, and I'm sure I would miss it, if I were to start living on my own again.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yup, for almost 2 whole years.

I literally had my desk and my bad and one set of drawers for my clothes all crammed into my master bedroom in my one bedroom apartment. The rest of the apartment was legit empty — everything I owned fit into the bedroom. Game consoles and PC on the desk with a monitor and some modest speakers, clothes, bed. From living in single-bedroom, dorm-style life for almost ten years after college moving from place to place, and then finally being able to afford my own place and living there alone for a couple of years.

Then I met my partner and they moved in with their cat. Furnished the place when that happened, got a full living room setup with a nice big TV and everything lol. Bigger bed, dinner table, etc.

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Lived alone for my entire adult life (17 years) aside from the first two years of college. Gets lonely every now and then, but then I remind myself of all the stuff I put up with growing up in a loud house and those first years of school that I snap back pretty quick. I'm not opposed to changing that, but at this point I'm too selfish with my time and too used to my independence to compromise that. So I better REALLY like someone to even think about it.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
It took me a while to get used to it. But eventually I did. Not sure I would recommend it though.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lived alone for the past decade....it's pretty good especially if your like me and can't deal with people or their bathroom habits.

But it means you have to be a lot more self sufficient , especially when it comes to bills.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
i live in my own apartment now that my sister has moved in with her boyfriend

it can be isolating but i love having a big house all to myself

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a very very short while in college in the worst apartment ever created. I moved in with my wife unofficially within 3 months of starting that lease.