Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Seems someone is developing a VR environment for emulators and roms.

Here is the description from their own Website:

Be in that room, grab those games, turn on those consoles and play, all this in Virtual Reality!

EmuVR intents to help not only the preservation of games, but also the environment and feelings of that time.

It uses Retroarch for emulation, so you can play with any Libretro core! Here are the available systems:
  • PlayStation
  • Nintendo 64
  • SNES
  • Sega Genesis
  • Arcade
  • NES
  • Game Boy/Color
  • Game Boy Advance
  • Sega CD
  • Sega 32x
  • Master System
  • Game Gear
  • PC Engine
  • Neo-Geo Pocket
  • Virtual Boy
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari Lynx
  • WonderSwan
  • Nintendo DS
Work in progress:
  • DOSBox
  • ScummVM
  • PSP
  • Sega Saturn
Regarding Netplay:

Netplay
  • Call your friend(s) over to your room
  • Watch them play your games or vice versa
  • "Pass the controller, bro" and take turns at that hard game
  • Grab/give the second controller and play WITH them
  • Voice chat: laugh at them telling how they suck
  • Play in VR or desktop mode, nobody needs to own an HMD to play, online or offline
(Some systems are not available for netplay)

http://www.emuvr.net

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
That's a pretty cool concept actually and makes me more interested in VR especially if they manage to somehow eventually support online VR play of local games.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just when I thought the world was out of ideas!!

We get this!! Play video games inside a video game!!!

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds incredible. Bigscreen was already one of best experiences, this is probably great if it isn't full of bugs.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
The netplay component, if done right, is the best thing about this, although I imagine there will be all sorts of latency and syncing problems.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
Let me understand, instead of playing games on a real tv i should use an expensive VR helmet to simulate playing games on a virtual tv? Really?

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Even without the netplay it looks fantastic! Should have multiple tvs to switch from.

But the netplay sounds really fucking cool.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Let me understand, instead of playing games on a real tv i should use an expensive VR helmet to simulate playing games on a virtual tv? Really?

That's not even the main problem I have with this idea. The Vive and Rift headsets are not very good regarding image quality. You can see the pentile matrix pretty clearly and the resolution isn't that high. While I love my VR, I would prefer to experience those games on a nice monitor.

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone has the funds to spend on buying a CRT, a bunch of old consoles and a crapton of games to play to get the old school experience.
It's totally niche, sure, but hey, I like it :)

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017

That has arcade cabinets in an arcade, not a simple tv in a simple room, it's different, that makes sense to me.

Not everyone has the funds to spend on buying a CRT, a bunch of old consoles and a crapton of games to play to get the old school experience.
It's totally niche, sure, but hey, I like it :)
But that's not a real CRT tv, it's a virtual tv with a CRT filter, exactly like the ones you can apply on any emulator while playing on your real tv, as regawdless says:
That's not even the main problem I have with this idea. The Vive and Rift headsets are not very good regarding image quality. You can see the pentile matrix pretty clearly and the resolution isn't that high. While I love my VR, I would prefer to experience those games on a nice monitor.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
That has arcade cabinets in an arcade, not a simple tvs in a simple room, it's different, that makes sense to me.

But that's not a real CRT tv, it's a virtual tv with a CRT filter, exactly like the ones you can apply on any emulator while playing on your real tv, as regawdless says:

It has netplay and I think that might be a big draw. I mean a lot of people are already playing old ps2 splitscreen games in Bigscreen beta.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This sounds like the absolute worst way to play old games outside of maybe a phone with touch screen controls.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
You have to think ahead. Future VR sets will have higher and higher resolutions. This could also help with the matrix grid, as it becomes more fine-grained.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
It has netplay and I think that might be a big draw. I mean a lot of people are already playing old ps2 splitscreen games in Bigscreen beta.
I can see the netplay having some good points, but the rest... i mean more options are always better, but the idea of a person in a room with a tv using a vr helmet to play old games in a room with a tv... of all the great things you can simulate with a vr this one seems... sad.

EDIT:
to be clear i'm not against the idea of playing old roms in VR, for example i think that the virtual arcade is a good idea, what i don't like is the simple room+tv environment.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
With all the snark in this thread, it's obvious a lot of you guys have never tried New Retro Arcade.

For anyone old enough to have actually played these old games on actual CRTs, I guarantee you, nothing is even remotely coming close to playing these old games in VR (unless you have a high quality CRT lying around the house). Being able to actually see pixel grid in VR is actually a good thing in this case.

I'll go ahead and say it: it's up there with sim racing for just being >>>>>>>>>>>>> flat monitor gaming.

Ideally we'd be playing these games on tetherless HMDs, but I'll go ahead and say it: after you've seen just how superior it is in VR, I can't imagine very many people won't be playing retro games in VR five years from now. Get rid of the wires and increase the comfort a little more, and it'll be the ultimate way to retro game.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and lag that's non-existent. In theory: Faster than a CRT even.

The main drawback is it emulates the exact same limitation of CRT TVs too well? Sure. This is one of those discussions where people speak academically, without actually ever having done it in real life.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Are folks seriously complaining about image quality within say Rift when playing these old ROMs? Come on folks, this is a novel idea and especially multiplayer features sound very cool.

Also I love the concept of having 80-90s TV show streaming as well. Having some Thundercats playing in background while playing NHL 94 with a buddy. That would be amazing.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I can see the netplay having some good points, but the rest... i mean more options are always better, but the idea of a person in a room with a tv using a vr helmet to play old games in a room with a tv... of all the great things you can simulate with a vr this one seems... sad.

EDIT:
to be clear i'm not against the idea of playing old roms in VR, for example i think that the virtual arcade is a good idea, what i don't like is the simple room+tv environment.

It's just a nostalgia thing man.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The main drawback is it emulates the exact same limitation of CRT TVs too well? Sure. This is one of those discussions where people speak academically, without actually ever having done it in real life.

That's not what I'm saying. I played older games on emulators and you can really enjoy the art. The displays on the current headsets are really lacking in my opinion so I'll rather play those games on a normal monitor.
That said, it still looks like a cool idea and the online play really has potential.

Tonyx

Oct 30, 2017
The netplay features seem very very cool.

Definitively keeping an eye on this.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what I'm saying. I played older games on emulators and you can really enjoy the art. The displays on the current headsets are really lacking in my opinion so I'll rather play those games on a normal monitor.
That said, it still looks like a cool idea and the online play really has potential.

Have you actually tried it, though?

Because without having the two side-by-side, old games in New Retro Arcade look exactly like I remember them looking like on CRTs. I'm sure if I had a CRT sitting next to me and was putting the HMD on/off, I could spot the differences, but it does an uncannily good job of presenting a similar image. That's ignoring talking about actual arcade cabinets. Where seeing the cabinet/art work combined with all the neighboring cabinets is >>>>>>>> anything I'll ever have in a game room.

To me, the only thing preventing me from playing old games exclusively in VR is the wires. Give me tetherless VR and I'll never play an old game on a flat display again.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT:

I mean, you could argue it's not just a simple room with a TV but rather a nostalgic recreation of your nice, cozy childhood bedroom, with a window looking at the neighborhood you grew up in, simulating the imperfections and analog feel of the hardware at the time, as well as being surrounded by the environmental details like posters, bed sheets and even the sounds of an old saturday morning cartoon or that year's summer hits playing on the radio.

Maybe you're just nitpicking about the quality of the assets, or just the fact that it's a private room instead of a public space like an arcade, but in any case, that's what this kind of VR experience promises, going back to your childhood (and potentially with friends), and that's a pretty powerful thing. Even if the hardware or online infrastructure aren't perfect at the moment, those are just technical issues that are easily solvable given time.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
It's a cool concept, but let down by the crap room. New Retro Arcade has the fantasy of the 80's Arcade you can visit whenever, while this is just a really naff generic house room with a wooden chair and 90's duvet. Needs to look at what the craziest home setups of the 90's would have looked like, and model accordingly.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's a cool concept, but let down by the crap room. New Retro Arcade has the fantasy of the 80's Arcade you can visit whenever, while this is just a really naff generic house room with a wooden chair and 90's duvet. Needs to look at what the craziest home setups of the 90's would have looked like, and model accordingly.

*Gahiggity basement*

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
While you see it as a ridiculously expensive solution, others with VR headsets see it as a free, convenient solution to playing retro games with CRT-like latency, with the added bonus of immersing them in a nostalgic 80's bedroom.

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
Well, it's called Virtual Reality for a reason.

I'd actually use this to play super old stuff. Such good nostalgia vibes.

I just hope there's the GameCube Basement as a side map.
hardcore-gamer.jpg

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Whenever I see stuff like this I think it's a classic Xzibit meme.

"I heard you like videogames so we made it so you can play videogames inside your videogame."

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017

What it needs is customizable environments. Steam workshop support for premade rooms and common objects (different CRT TVs, console models, etc.)

Oct 27, 2017
This looks great! That said though in the first video where there was all those games falling on the other games my first thought was "What are you doing!? You'll scratch the CD!"

...I am a simple man hahaha.

Looks great though, I like that you and buddy can pass controllers and watch the game together. Anything to make VR a little more social is a-o-k in my book.

Nov 1, 2017
This simulated VR childhood blows compared to my actual childhood. I had a better TV, an actual table for it and more furniture.