NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting to come in here and read how shitty the album was. Genuinely surprised so many people like it. Here is my take:

I am not an Eminem hater. I listened to him a lot growing up. I liked most of his stuff up until Recovery and honestly just listened to a handful of his songs since then. In general I just don't listen to albums much anymore.

This was the first album of his I've listened to in its entirety in a minute. With all that said; I dont think this is very good. It is okay as a concept album. I get it. People will latch onto that and give it some additional points. I am happy Marshall is trying to make a public killing of his past self. I hope it brings him peace.

Eminem has creative bars as usual. But I am going to need a counter on how many times he mentioned midgets, the r word(s), paraplegics, Christopher Reeves or Caitlyn Jenner. I know some of this plays into the concept piece of this and some of it is Shady. But here is the thing: there are two many songs saying the same shit. It starts fo feel like he is using the concept just so he can say the shit, lol.

Some people will agree with this and take it to the extreme and yell to cancel Eminem. I'll make it clear, I am not offended. The shit he says has never bothered me. So it makes sense that I would not want to listen to a whole album of him saying the same shit, change his voice and yell at himself for saying it.

The flow is Eminem patented. A few variations here and there so it wasnt too repetitive. Punchlines were fine. Some good wordplay. All of the usual stuff that I respect about Eminem and I always enjoy hearing the shit he comes up with lyrically.

The JID feature was gas (pun intended). The beats were not my thing. I know this is more of a personal preference thing but they were all just kind of okay to me. Like none of them made me go wow.

Glad a lot of you seem to enjoy it but again I am genuinely shocked how little negative feedback this is getting on here. I almost feel like maybe my tastes have gotten worse. But I know I have a way more diverse palette than a lot of people in general. I respect musicians and their art if it is creative even if I dont enjoy it personally. Hopefully my post emboldens others to come out and share their thoughts. Or maybe everyone will quote me and say I'm wrong and my tastes suck. Which I am also okay with.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. The Dre production on Relapse makes it my most replayed Em album.
Relapse bums me out a lot because I imagine what SSLP-era Eminem would have done with an entire album of phenomenal Dre beats. There are some good parts to Relapse and I think it's cool that you replay it so much, but I have a hard time appreciating it when I think of what it could be.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I was apprehensive entering this thread since I know there's a lot of people here who don't like Eminem, happy to see the positive reception. I've only listened to a few songs so far and I'm liking it a lot.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I have a lot of thoughts and I'll continue to have more to say the more I listen, but this is certainly the most listenable album since at least Recovery, but honestly probably Encore or Relapse.

I adore MMLP2, about half of Kamikaze, and Music to be Murderer By, but his voice and flow are much more harsh and aggressive on those albums. There's incredibly impressive flows and lyrics, but they're not always easy on the ears.

This album is much more musically well-made than the majority of his recent stuff.

Listen to Believe or ShadyXV and compare it to this. Night and day.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Dug this album.

As others mentioned, had a pretty strong emotional response at times as the dad of 2 little girls.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I bounced off this by the track Evil, I don't know if I'll go back to it, but it seems like the same thoughts over and over again repeated. I'll echo comments above, I'm glad some people are finding something to connect in later tracks but this is not an album for me.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I would be really curious to get some opinions on this album and how it handles its concept from trans people of Era.

To me, the concept feels clumsily held together and confusing, somewhat eliminating the satire he's attempting. But maybe I'm being too harsh? Trying to have an open mind here.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Yeah, so, this is a unique album due to its structure.

- In first couple of songs, "Slim Shady" escapes and finds himself in the year 2024. That's why the lyrics sound like a boomer complaining about PC Police, Cancel Culture, Transgender people, etc, etc. The "Slim Shady" character is a product of the 1990s and doesn't belong in the year 2024.

- "Slim Shady" argues that he should be allowed to say offensive stuff because "everyone is okay with "South Park" making jokes about gays and transgender people."

- However, as the album goes along, Eminem is not okay with Slim Shady existing in the year 2024. He's ashamed of it. So he's trying to catch and kill his Slim Shady persona.

- By the end of the album, he confronts Slim Shady. He calls him a bully for attacking different groups of people. During one point in the album, Eminem also comes to the realization that he doesn't have any problem with transgender people or gay people.

- Eminem kills his Slim Shady persona in "Guilty Conscience 2". Hence the album's name, "The Death of Slim Shady".

- In the final song, Eminem acknowledges that Slim Shady represented a time when he was on drugs, and he wasn't proud of the type person he was. He also talks about his child, Stevie, who is gender fluid.
this sounds like having your cake and eating it, too

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I would be really curious to get some opinions on this album and how it handles its concept from trans people of Era.

To me, the concept feels clumsily held together and confusing, somewhat eliminating the satire he's attempting. But maybe I'm being too harsh? Trying to have an open mind here.

I guess that would definitely be a 'your mileage may vary' situation but I'd imagine most groups he raps about are probably not the biggest fans in general. A few women I know have always hated Eminem for what he has historically rapped about.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I guess that would definitely be a 'your mileage may vary' situation but I'd imagine most groups he raps about are probably not the biggest fans in general. A few women I know have always hated Eminem for what he has historically rapped about.

Well, that's the thing, right? It shouldn't just be the groups he goes after that get upset at it. If he's using ablest and transphobic slurs in his lyrics, shouldn't we all call that out as unacceptable? Or does it become okay because of the story he's trying to tell?

I'm genuinely struggling with that because there is a lot that I like about this album.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
Fuel is the best song on the album. It's great JID is on it, his silky smooth delivery fits so well on that track. Plus the whole P Diddy bar, so many nice references there.

It's a good album

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's the thing, right? It shouldn't just be the groups he goes after that get upset at it. If he's using ablest and transphobic slurs in his lyrics, shouldn't we all call that out as unacceptable? Or does it become okay because of the story he's trying to tell?

I'm genuinely struggling with that because there is a lot that I like about this album.

It's the same situation as Ricky Gervais stand up, right? "It's just a joke!" and "People choose to be offended" is what RG says about that.

We can probably all agree they should both be punching higher, but here we are talking about, generally, how great the album is (and how much we all really like Eminem), and many love Gervais too.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's the same situation as Ricky Gervais stand up, right? "It's just a joke!" and "People choose to be offended" is what RG says about that.

We can probably all agree they should both be punching higher, but here we are talking about, generally, how great the album is (and how much we all really like Eminem), and many love Gervais too.

To be fair, anyone who still loves Ricky Gervais in 2024 is more than likely a bigoted asshole. So I don't think that comparison helps much.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm back and forth on whether its a dream, or he was having an internal fight with Slim Shady that felt like a dream.
giphy.gif

Now I wish for a Slim spoof of Inception.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

For me personally, I am okay with the satire and the reflection of it all. It's Eminem and that sort of content is well known to be part of the Slim Shady persona.

That said, I chose to seek this album out and listen to the content of it. I don't think something like this necessarily should be blasted on the airwaves or thrown in commercials. It's not the type of music that should be actively forced on people.

Edit: Put the album on again and the first lyrics of the album are

With balls, in his durag, he sags, fearin' no man
He stands, pen in his hand like Edward Scissorhands
Will slice competition and just goes about his business

Anyone who knows about him knows about his shindig
Shenanigans, and all his wacky antics in the papers

So pretty much telling exactly what I had said, you know what you are getting into when you listen to Slim Shady

Cinnamon

Jan 18, 2023

It's interesting that you ask this.

The song "Habits" basically asks the same question. Like I said before, this might be Eminem's most self-aware album.

"Part of me gets it and wants to say I'm sorry and fix it
So all my statements are basically contradictive
Like using the F-word for gay is wrong and offensive
and insensitive as if me sayin' the R-word isn't
Wait a minute, which R-word? Rape or retarded, midget?
Would this rhyme be okay if South Park had did it?
Would it make you less angry if Cartman spit it? (Goddammit)"

In those lyrics, Eminem argues that "Slim Shady" is to him what "Cartman" is to Trey Parker.

He points out that when South Park makes jokes about people with disabilities or the LGBTQ community, it's often seen as brave satire. No one accuses Trey Parker of homophobia because they understand, "That's just Cartman being Cartman."

However, when "Slim Shady" (a fictional character) says offensive things on a hip hop album, people often assume that Eminem himself believes those things.

This highlights the struggle people have in separating Eminem (the artist) from "Slim Shady" (a fictional character with a dark sense of humor).

Last edited:

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

I think art (and especially lyrics) are a particularly selfish act in that it requires a deep understanding of the self to get something that feels authentic and meaningful. I see this album as Em battling himself, id(Slim) vs ego(Marshall) or more appropriately younger Em vs who he is now.....everyone changes and we can feel ashamed of who we've been or what we've done but pretending like it never happened or we were never that person or that person didn't help get us to where we are now isn't helpful or productive.

Whether it's fair to use marginalized communities in a direct example to contrast those different versions of himself is not really my place to say since I'm not in those marginalized groups, but I think, at the very least, people are receptive to it because it feels brutally honest....at least that was my takeaway listening to it for the first time this morning.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that you ask this.

The song "Habits" basically asks the same question. Like I said before, this might be Eminem's most self-aware album.

"Part of me gets it and wants to say I'm sorry and fix it
So all my statements are basically contradictive
Like using the F-word for gay is wrong and offensive
and insensitive as if me sayin' the R-word isn't
Wait a minute, which R-word? Rape or retarded, midget?
Would this rhyme be okay if South Park had did it?
Would it make you less angry if Cartman spit it? (Goddammit)"

In those lyrics, Eminem argues that "Slim Shady" is to him what "Cartman" is to Trey Parker.

He points out that when South Park makes jokes about people with disabilities or the LGBTQ community, it's often seen as brave satire. No one accuses Trey Parker of homophobia because they understand, "That's just Cartman being Cartman."

However, when "Slim Shady" (a fictional character) says offensive things on a hip hop album, people often assume that Eminem himself believes those things.

This highlights the struggle people have in separating Eminem (the artist) from "Slim Shady" (a fictional character with a dark sense of humor).

Those lyrics do make a very interesting point about South Park. I've not watched it in years and don't follow the conversation, but I'd assume there are similar complaints to it, like there are about Slim and Gervais, and whatever else.

I guess even when Eminem says those things as Slim (an alter ego), the argument is that.. should he be? Just like Gervais and "It's just a joke" argument.

I don't know what the answer is and I am not in any group that would be part of these types of things so it's not my place to say either.

Last edited:

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Listened to this a few times and the only ones I really dislike are Road Rage and Temporary. I'm not really a big eminem fan but this definitely surprised me and I'll probably add a few tracks to my main playlist

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
I think the album is great and to me the concept of Slim Shady from 2002 being ripped into 2024 is really good.

As others said I do struggle with some of the outdated slurs at times...but also think it's playing a role in the concept he's trying to tell here. Those things were not as inappropriate in 2002, and he understands the issues with them now, but not from back then.

That those things are not appropriate and it's almost him critizing himself for using those words in the past in a creative way.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
I don't think Slim is really gone. At the end of the song Marshall wakes up from a dream. Feels like Marshall acknowledged that Shady will always be a part of him with this album.
Already quoted you earlier, but i just listened to GS2 again and after Paul hangs up on Em, he laughs like Slim Shady. I'm starting to think that maybe Shady didn't die, which maybe explains Temporary and Somebody Save Me being songs of Eminem rapping as if he's dead. Cause Shady actually took over.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Already quoted you earlier, but i just listened to GS2 again and after Paul hangs up on Em, he laughs like Slim Shady. I'm starting to think that maybe Shady didn't die, which maybe explains Temporary and Somebody Save Me being songs of Eminem rapping as if he's dead. Cause Shady actually took over.

That was my thought too. Maybe we will get a Side B album later in the year.. that'd be awesome

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
This album is 🔥. I love the production. We don't get many albums like this anymore. Just a bunch of songs slapped together to make an album.

This shit is cinematic.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Very, very mixed feelings on this one. It's so surreal to hear Eminem rap like he did in the early 2000s again and damn does he sound good, but the satire really just doesn't land for me. 'Slim Shady' said a lot of controversial/vile shit back in the day but it was a lot more 'popular culture commentary/shock value horror core' compared to the weird amount of psuedo-right wing talking points on this.

Martoridley

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, I really like this album. Lots of self reflection going on. I think Lucifer might be my favourite Track. Gotta love that beat.

VibrantStorm

May 11, 2021
Very, very mixed feelings on this one. It's so surreal to hear Eminem rap like he did in the early 2000s again and damn does he sound good, but the satire really just doesn't land for me. 'Slim Shady' said a lot of controversial/vile shit back in the day but it was a lot more 'popular culture commentary/shock value horror core' compared to the weird amount of psuedo-right wing talking points on this.
It seems you didnt listen to the whole album. Its a concept order meant to be listened to in order. Gc part 2 explains it all.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the album (in order). Love it.

Temporary isn't going to light up the charts, but I have a feeling it will be a very impactful song for a lot of people and lives on for a long time.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I am offended.

Marshall, you had one job. And that job was to put Abel Tesfaye somewhere in the credits of this album. You failed at that job.

I won't even bother to listen to the album. It's not worth it.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm just over heady concept albums rn and find most recent ones to be little more an exercise in monotony. I get it's part of the "point" so he can rebuke himself later but he really had 13 songs straight of the exact same Caitlyn Jenner and PC Police joke over and over, I like Guilty Conscience 2 quite a bit but I don't know if it alone makes up for how lyrically repetitive most of the album is.
This is still probably his "best" work since Relapse and is the first time in a while I'd gladly spin most of this again, although the last bit of the album sadly does nothing for me, sappy parenting anthems never do it for me though.

I am offended.

Marshall, you had one job. And that job was to put Abel Tesfaye somewhere in the credits of this album. You failed at that job.

I won't even bother to listen to the album. It's not worth it.
This is our first year in a while that's been relatively Weeknd free, let us enjoy it!

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Gave it a second listen and the production is already falling apart despite my previous praise of it. I'm probably going to end up agreeing with the mediocre reviews it's getting.

It seems you didnt listen to the whole album. Its a concept order meant to be listened to in order. Gc part 2 explains it all.

The fact that he's trying to tell a story using slurs doesn't mean it's okay to use slurs. He's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Gave it a second listen and the production is already falling apart despite my previous praise of it. I'm probably going to end up agreeing with the mediocre reviews it's getting.

The fact that he's trying to tell a story using slurs doesn't mean it's okay to use slurs. He's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

This is where I'm at.

The album wore out its welcome VERY fast.

I can't bump this shit full of slurs and ableist language.

With more listens the corny ass bars revealing themselves as well.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Just listened to it, not a big eminem or rap listener but I liked him enough as a kid years ago. Wasn't a big fan of this. Lyrics are just too repetitive, felt like he was saying cancelled and pc police every song.

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
Listened to it 1 more time to see if my opinion changed, and I'm still not a fan of the first half of the album in terms of content. I don't even need a ton of introspective content from Em anymore. I'm glad he made Temporary and Somebody Save Me, but if he plans on making another album after this I would just want lyrical rap records with dope production without the offensive shit. I'm just over the Slim Shady character and tbh that was never my favorite version of Em anyway. It's why I prefer The Eminem Show over MMLP and SSLP.

He prefers making fun music over sad stuff for the most part so just focus on that without using the Slim Shady character.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'm honestly bored of the Christopher Reeves jokes. I'm not offended, I just don't care. All the Caitlin Jenner jokes (seriously how many songs mentioned her) wore out pretty fast too.

Overall I enjoyed it but not sure it's better than MTBMB.