Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
embracer.com

Embracer Group merges with The Gearbox Entertainment Company and form a seventh operating group - Embracer Group

NOT FOR RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN THE UNITED STATES, AUSTRALIA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, HONG KONG, JAPAN, SOUTH AFRICA OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION WHERE SUCH RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION WOULD BE UNLAWFUL OR WOULD REQUIRE...
Embracer Group AB ("Embracer"), has today entered into a merger agreement with US based The Gearbox Entertainment Company ("Gearbox"). Gearbox, based in Frisco, TX and founded in 1999, has been self-funded by the employees from inception. Post-closing, Gearbox will become a seventh operating group as a wholly own subsidiary of Embracer. Gearbox Founder and CEO Randy Pitchford will continue to lead Gearbox, and Randy Pitchford and the employees of Gearbox will jointly become a significant shareholder in Embracer. Gearbox brings highly creative AAA development studios, North American publishing capabilities and a robust IP portfolio, including critically acclaimed and iconic franchises like Borderlands, Brothers in Arms and Homeworld. On a preliminary basis, based on Embracer's accounting principles, Gearbox generated net sales of SEK 1,037 million and Adjusted Operational EBIT[1] of SEK 417 million during the nine month period from January 1 until September 30, 2020. In calendar year 2019, Gearbox generated net sales of SEK 1,052 million and Adjusted Operational EBIT of SEK 317 million.

Huh. Saw that Imran khan had posted this on twitter but there was no thread about it.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
man, imagine dropping millions on Gearbox (also, why?) and think keeping Pitchford on to lead them is a good idea

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think this mean Pitchford has to answer to someone above him if he pulls shady shit again but I already know he'd probably just get a golden parachute.

Dec 11, 2017
What's the Embracer play here? Are they just hoping to be a giant publisher or are we looking at a new streaming service in a few years?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
T2 "losing" Borderlands to Embracer and Codemaster to EA, rough months.
Everyone preparing for the content war of the next couple years.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Eventually we have to start seeing more games out of THQN/Embracer after all these purchases and mergers...

I wonder if come 2024 we see THQN publishing more games than anyone else?!

I mean how many studios do they have at this point??

Nov 8, 2017
Randy is a knob but Gearbox is probably worth north of a billion dollars thanks to the Borderlands IP and miscellaneous other things it owns. A good move for Embracer, they'll be among their more lucrative arms.

Shocked that Take-Two didn't pay whatever it took to get this under their wing. After the loss of Codemasters and now Gearbox going elsewhere I'd be slapping myself on the forehead pretty hard if I were them.

Feb 15, 2019
Whoa that's a pretty huge get for them. I assume this is the most popular studio they have now? Going through the list of acquired studios and their games I don't think anything in there matches Borderlands in terms of mainstream popularity right?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
woah.
I was actually thinking that Gearbox would be the next logical acquisiiton for MS, so a bit surprised to see this. Although not really surprised at the fact that they were looking to sell.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It really does still feel like THQ just came back as THQNordic in a sense, then the parent company was Embracer...and now they're buying a lot of studios, small to large.

Wow. All in a some years too. Who's next then?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gearbox owns the borderlands IP but it think take-two has exclusive publishing rights? i wonder how that'll work now.

With numbers like that they'll easily release 12-18 games a year once they really get rolling??
yeah, i think so. but a lot of them will be smaller/mobile games. they own a lot of small devs focusing on games of that scale.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
it would mean he has someone to answer to if he isn't paying them
A-BINGO.gif

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
People thought gearbox was the one MS was trying to acquire since their private, some thought it was bungie too but they went with netease.

I have no idea who MS is negotiating with now, whichever publisher it is they have to be public right? I dont think there is any private publishers left but if they are public wouldnt we hear about it and know who it is?

I dont understand why MS would be negotiating with a public publisher while the zenimax deal hasnt even closed yet but what do I know.

Feb 15, 2019
Crazy to think that Embracer has more Studios than Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo combined and then some.

Granted the vast majority are at small to medium at best but it's still pretty wild.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this makes it harder for Randy to (allegedly) embezzle millions of dollars from the company