Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
people.com

Elon Musk and Grimes' Newborn's Name, X Æ A-12, Is Technically Legal but 'Won't Be Accepted'

"In California, you can only use the '26 characters' of the English language in your baby name," David Glass, a family law attorney, tells PEOPLE

"In California, you can only use the '26 characters' of the English language in your baby name," David Glass, a family law attorney, tells PEOPLE.

Glass says that if the new parents filled out X Æ A-12's birth certificate at the hospital "with the odd numbers, dashes and symbols, it will be submitted and then rejected and they'll be asked to submit it again."

"They tried to change the [rule] back in 2014 to allow certain characters, accents or umlauts — those sorts of things — and the bill got dropped because [of the cost] to upgrade their computer systems to allow these accents," he tells PEOPLE.

"I don't think you can say it's illegal — it just won't be accepted," Glass adds. "So your child won't have an official name and won't have a birth certificate and you can't get a social security number until you have a birth certificate and on down the line."

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Cue rant about this is why we need the 2nd amendment -- to push back on big govt controlling our babies' names!

But the real reason being "because our systems can't update their charsets" is amazing.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what about foreign names?

Because this sounds like a kind of "if it ain't in the Bible then it ain't a name"

Even if the case here is a car manufacturer wants to name their child the model number of a seatbelt.

Oct 25, 2017
I had figured that wasn't the real name and that Elon was just trolling, as he did with his "baby picture," and just wasn't interested in sharing personal details online.
But it's Elon so I guess you never know for sure.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
In that other thread everyone said he was just joking though.
Lol just what I was about to say. The burden of proof was on them because Musk has revealed himself to be just the type of deluded self-absorbed loon to actually do something like this on top of many celebrities giving their children weird names already being a precedent.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I mean, if they really wanted to use the name. Its not like its that hard. "XAETwelve

That wasn't a joke, it's really Kyle?
I doubt it. The Æ is a latin character that sounds something like "Ey". So the name is something along the lines of "Xae-12".

..and if it really is Kyle, then WTF. Atleast with other absurd names you can reason them out.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Elon's bootdeepthroaters telling us how it was just a joke on the other thread.

"Eeelon sama, look at me defending youuuuu"

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I wish my biggest problem in the world was whether my child could be named like a fucking Star Wars robot.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
funny that people are just calling Elon a nut for this. as if Grimes isn't a total shallow-artsy moron lol. "X...the unknown variable..." lmao what a second-grader's understanding of mathematics. it's almost too bad she occasionally makes great music.
yeah, someone on reddit broke it down as being pronounced as 'Kyle'
I thought it was said to be pronounced "sasha archangel"

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
As much as Musk and Co are... well... It's kinda lame - how do you do have a name with an accent on it like the ñ or ë? They're not in our alphabet.

Oct 30, 2017
funny that people are just calling Elon a nut for this. as if Grimes isn't a total shallow-artsy moron lol. "X...the unknown variable..." lmao what a second-grader's understanding of mathematics. it's almost too bad she occasionally makes great music.

I thought it was said to be pronounced "sasha archangel"
i think it's the word equivalent of Inception's ending. Who the fuck really knows