CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk threw a mild Twitter tantrum yesterday, erasing his profile image and joking that he'd deleted his account, which he did not actually do. A $20 million fine couldn't stop Musk from posting, so a little backlash over Nier: Automata fan art probably isn't either.

The issue was that Musk tweeted the fan illustration to his 27 million followers with just the caption "2b" and no credit for the artist. When someone told him he should credit the artist, he replied "No."

Musk added that "any fool can find out who the artist was in seconds" and that the act of crediting artists is "destroying the medium" of Twitter. He later deleted those tweets, as well as the original tweet containing the artwork.

Musk's refusal to post credit generated a wave of support for Meli Magali, the French artist and game designer who created the piece.

"Hey guys, I do not know what to say... Just Peace and Thank you 💙," tweeted Magali in a string of thank yous. "Your support make me so happy."

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Meli Melo 🖌️
@MagaliProd
Red Lips 💋 - My illustration of 2B #NieRAutomata #Illustration #Nier #2B #SquareEnix #Art #FanArt #NierAutomata2B #DigitalArt #DigitalPainting #PlayStation4

6:34 AM - Mar 17, 2018
15.9K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
You can view more of Magali's art on ArtStation.

If nothing else, the flare up provides an opportunity to point out that it is polite to ask permission from fan artists before posting their work on social media. At bare minimum they should always be credited with a link, especially if you have a big following.

Musk's stance that crediting art on Twitter is "destroying the medium" suggests that he thinks the real art is the art of posting, a position I won't investigate any further because little could be more pointless. Ironically, his refusal to credit the artist probably sent more good will Magali's way than a simple link would have, but only thanks to those who pointed out the slight.

The tech CEO has endeared himself to a swath of gamers and parts of the industry by posting memes and, I don't know, being a guy who talks about rockets. Just last week he joined Bethesda's Todd Howard for a surprisingly mundane E3 chat about his cars and which Bethesda games he likes. I'm sure he'll be back to palling around with PewDiePie on Twitter soon.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I remember when I was like 13 and got pissy on Livejournal and would black out my avatar so everyone knew I was a victim.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
the act of crediting artists is "destroying the medium" of Twitter
tumblr_ororpj3RKC1r0zalso1_400.gif

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's becoming more of a living satire of himself with every passing day

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people claimed that in the future he will be in the same tier than Einstein and Newton?

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Elon Musk, known asshole, pulls an asshole move. I'm shocked, shocked!

Not that shocked.

As a side note, it's really weird to see ResetERA catch on to Twitter discussions like a day or so after the fact. Almost feels like this is already old news, but I guess it's just hitting the presses.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I need to start compiling a "This is your hero?" bookmark folder for easy reference whenever he's hailed as the genius of our time.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
But no one else is doing for electric cars what this absolute genius is doing, so I'm willing to forgive some eccentricities.
/s

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Destroying the medium of Twitter? That's some "compete in the marketplace of ideas"-style of bullshit to defend your dumb need to not link/credit somebody's art you're sharing with your followers when you're a rich baby.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I find it a bit funny, in a sad way, that THIS was the "well, Elon Musk sucks" trigger for some people.

You know, as opposed to every other bullshit he's pulled.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
What a pathetic excuse of human being.

joeyjoejoe99

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh, he's right it's easy to reverse image search. He may not even know who did it. When I google search and post stuff to my friends I'm not thinking twice, I believe tweeting is similar but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I think what gets lost in this conversation is that Musk is so transparently begging for nerd credit that he does this weird shit for validation.

Like, I do not believe, nor do I really care, for a second this dude has played Nier Automata, just like when his response to "Have you seen Evangelion?" was to just tweet the word "NERV" and then get on the front page of Reddit for days.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
It would've taken like 30 seconds to credit the artist. Why he gotta be a stubborn asshole about everything.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no.
Elon Musk? An Asshole?! Out of all the people, why does it have to be the workers-abusing, anti-union angel who once called a diver who worked on saving the lives of 12 children a pedophile because he hurt is ego?!?! When does the Milkshake Ducking end?! D:

Really looking forward to the inveitable roundtable discussion with Boogie, JonTron & Elon Musk, hosted by Geoff Kheighley next E3 though.