CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So I've purchased a quest 2 and have played a lot of different genres from fps to boxing, Fishing and golf etc. I Have enjoyed many and it's been a great experience with all these games but the one that consistently has blown my mind is Eleven Table Tennis.

It just feels so realistic And fun to play I can't put it down. It makes me actually want to get better to the point where I have ordered a 3D printed paddle adapter.

The developer is great and is determined to make the most realistic table tennis game possible constantly working with the community and updating. The community is also very active, friendly and competitive with full rankings and ELO.

When I bought VR I was positive it would be the FPS games that would be my favorites but I have found Boxing, Golf, Fishing and now Table Tennis to be where I spend most of my time. Anyone else try this out?

Great video below from a table tennis channel having their mind blown by the game.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I read that as Elven Table Tennis and it sounded way more interesting that just a realistic ping pong game.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of agree. It was one of the first VR games I tried, and the first to actually impress me with how real it felt. The force feedback in the controller even manages to make the feedback of the ball hitting your bat feel close enough to reality.

Unfortunately, it just needs too much space to play properly. Not really the game's fault since that's just how table tennis is, but sadly makes the game less than playable for me.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of agree. It was one of the first VR games I tried, and the first to actually impress me with how real it felt. The force feedback in the controller even manages to make the feedback of the ball hitting your bat feel close enough to reality.

Unfortunately, it just needs too much space to play properly. Not really the game's fault since that's just how table tennis is, but sadly makes the game less than playable for me.
Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat especially with the boxing game. Thinking of clearing out some space in the garage to not have to worry about punching walls.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. It's a basic concept but it's one of those things that just works in VR with proper 1:1 hand tracking. You can balance that ball on your paddled, catch it in mid air etc. It's cool!

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Found some high level play. No surprise the people in these tournaments are also pro/semi pro in real life. It must be pretty amazing for them to have this available and show just how far VR and motion controllers have come.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Great game, even though it's one of Quest's best sellers the menus still look like a beta version

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I refunded eleven after an hour or so of playing. They have done a fab job with the physics but ultimately that is all there is. No real game to speak of if you don't like random online play. Just my opinion of course.

Thrill of the Fight is easily my most played vr title.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It feels ridiculously close to playing ping pong in real life. It's crazy. I've come close to falling over multiple times because I accidentally tried leaning against a table that wasn't there.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
There was one time when I played for about 45 minutes and then set my paddle on the table only to be startled by the sound of my oculus controller falling to the ground. It's pretty immersive. :)

My one wish is that they would develop a more robust single player campaign, but that probably misses the point of the game.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
120hz update has made it even more immersive, feels like a generational leap jumping from 90 to 120 in terms of how well the ball tracks

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It feels ridiculously close to playing ping pong in real life. It's crazy. I've come close to falling over multiple times because I accidentally tried leaning against a table that wasn't there.
I actually line up the table with my bed. So when I get close I feel the "table" on my legs. Though I am afraid of eventually breaking my toe lol.

I refunded eleven after an hour or so of playing. They have done a fab job with the physics but ultimately that is all there is. No real game to speak of if you don't like random online play. Just my opinion of course.

Thrill of the Fight is easily my most played vr title.

Yeah it's pretty much Online or practicing at this point and I agree on Thrill of the Fight. I get a few rounds in every day cause it's such a good work out.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's great, I got this thanks to CheapyD
I knew I saw him active in their discord lol.

Just found the dev responding to someone on reddit with a very in depth answer regarding the game vs real life.

various vr headsets have various tracking regions and occlusion issues. I highly suggest the quest2 headset, so i'll just mention it here. The Quest2 headset uses inside out tracking, which means there are cameras on the headset which look out at your room to determine where your headset is in your space. Additionally, they look out for the LEDs on your controllers to determine where they are in space. It does this at about 60 times per second. The controllers themselves have gyro/accel chips which run at about 1000 times per second. Working together, these both give a very good approximation of where the controller is at any given time. The camera sensors are needed because that keeps the gyro sensors in check. The cameras span a cone of some width..I haven't yet measured it but probably something like 240 degrees? (i intend to measure this). If your controller gets moved outside of the tracking cone, such as being held completely behind you, the error in tracking grows quickly over time. For quick in and out of the tracking cone motions, it is fine. However, if you hold it out there, such as backswing, and then long weight, and then hard swing. There will be issues. In Dan's video, you see him at one point hit a behind the back shot. This is what I mean...if the time outside of the tracking cone is short enough, it's fine. What does this mean to you? It means that if your IRL swings are very wide, and you take your time preparing the stroke, you will have to update your stroke. Hopefully future versions of the headset have more sensors to capture a larger cone. Additionally, hopefully other devices that use different kinds of tracking where there is no cone, can have their tracking improved (currently it's worse).

there is a delay between when the application prepared the image to be rendered, and that image actually gets showed to your eyes. If the system were to tell the application where the controller is when prompted, then when you eventually see it, you will see it where it was that latency time ago. To counter this, all vr headset systems tell the application their best guess as to where the controller will be in latency time. This works for 99.9% of games perfectly fine and no one notices a thing. For table tennis, this prediction causes issues. Recently Oculus has released a huge update to reduce the latency by 10ms (from 51 to 41), which greatly reduced the error associated with this prediction. As of 2 days ago, I coded in another tracking update on top of that, which reduced the tracking error by another huge factor. Whereas before the oculus tracking update, a fast swing might skew the paddle out of the swing radius by 2 feet on very hard swings...and after the oculus update a very hard swing can make it skew about 8 inches.... my last update has reduces it to about 2-3 ; and i'll keep trying to make it better. What does this mean to you: at least with the latest tracking update, a shot that you'd expect, for a fast FH, to hit the sweet spot dead center, would hit about 2 inches below that. (and i mean really fast FH...not just a casual looper). If you stop by the discord, i've been posting my work on this in the forms of videos showing this update. So if you just play VR..and you get very used to it, when you back to IRL, there may be a little bit of adaptation needed. (and the same adaptation needed going from IRL to VR). Again, with the latest tracking update, this adaptation has become so small, that you might not even notice it. Especially because of the next point:

When you do eventually hit the ball, there are some differences between IRL and VR. First, the paddle we currently have (but will be providing another option soon), is 25% oversized. Users have been asking for standard size, and I will be adding it. Second, the paddle in game doesn't have vibrational nodes like a real one does. What this means is, sweet spot works differently in VR. There is a geometric effect: the further out on the paddle face the hit is, the faster that bit of rubber is moving, and thus your shot is faster. But a shot that is to the side of center won't be hit differently. I plan to implement this only after i can implement the proper sound feedback to the player - so they know by sound alone where they hit on the paddle. This 25% increase in size, and effectively larger sweet spot, very much helps the transition from IRL to VR. What this means though, if you get lax and start spraying the contact patch, is when you get back to IRL, you won't be hitting the sweet spot any more. Again, this is currently up to you to set up. Also, irl paddle sweet spots are quite large anyway (compared to big tennis) ..because the ball is so light compared to the paddle.

So now you have made contact with the ball: the game physics engine figures out how you were moving and how the ball was moving, and then how the ball should move. The physics engine can't ever be 100% like reality, but it can get closer and closer. (and will get closer and closer). After my current work with tracking updates, I will be revisiting the physics layer; I have a ball machine, high speed camera, and about 9 different rubbers on my desk in a box (few inverted, short, long pips, anti spin, tacky, ox no ox..etc). It will get closer and closer, and the goal is to reach a state where a pro player can't tell if it's off or not. However, whatever % it is off, whether it is .0001, or 1 or 10. That will be some degree of adaptation needed. Similar to how you would if you were all of a sudden given a different paddle, or played with the older ball, or different elevation..etc.

Once you do hit the ball, or the ball is hit to you, similarly to how there is some error (that will be reduced) for paddle collisions, there is some amount of error to table collision, and air forces. Once again... there is adaptation, and the goal is to reach a state where there is no perceivable adaptation needed.

6.collision feel:
the technology right now can only present a rumble to you. Your mind fills in the rest - but it certainly won't push on the paddle in your hand. Maybe one day other tech comes around, but this is currently a dead end. The good news is, the collision feel is irrelevant to the shot produced. IRL collision is around 1ms, there that is around 50-100 times faster than reaction time. IRL feel does educate your self about the hit after-the-fact...so it isn't useless.

7.sound:
this is something I very much want to work on, but it's something very much difficult to do. The goal is to make it sound the same as IRL Currently it's very simplified - you can't tell by sound what kind of shot the person hit..just how hard they hit (and even then, there isn't much fidelity and acoustic resolution compared to IRL.

8. the controller:
I highly suggest getting the Sanlaki adapter. It will make it feel extremely close to holding a real paddle in your hand. You can skip this and just play with the controller, but this will add a large layer of adaptation that can be avoided.

9.Latency:
when you do play with people online, depending on how far away you are from the person, there is different amounts of latency. We have tools in the game to compensate for this, and the other day I was able to play a competitive match against someone on the opposite side of the planet; ..but until we have worm-holes or other faster than light communication means, physics sets a barrier. You'd have to decide for yourself how much it affects your game though. At the very least, it adds time between hits in a rally. This gives you more time to get back into position...but this is again just a function of latency. If you play someone in the same country (that you'd have played IRL at a club), then you'll probably get 10ms of latency which you might not even notice for this. If you play someone on the other side of the world, you will.

But what does the game give you that IRL doesn't:
  1. play at any time
  2. play with anyone (100's of thousands of owners of the game, with 500 simultaneous online player typically on weekends)
  3. you don't have to bother cleaning/gluing/buying paddle stuffs
  4. you don't have to waste time collecting balls
  5. there is an AI (that needs a lot of development), mini games (as well will be developed), and other training tools that would be unmatched in reality
  6. you can wear whatever you want, even play in your underwear
  7. you will be able to stream your play to anyone who wants to see
  8. you will be able to record your matches, or load other people's matches, and study them in ways that are impossible IRL. (any angle, any time rate, physics values..etc)
  9. building on 8, you'll be able to (not yet in game), take any shot in any game recording, and practice against it. So if you mess up returning a serve of someone, you can practice against that exact serve 100,1000, etc times. Next time you see it, they don't get a chance to hit the third ball.
  10. the game will be able to analyze your strokes (not yet in game) to tell you exactly where your issues are and what drills to use to improve.
someone mentioned something on the discord just now that I forgot.- the game doesn't yet (but will) prevent your paddle from moving through the table. I intend to enable this within the month. What this means unfortunately is if you don't respect the table geometry, then you could 'cheat' and swing through the table. This invalidates short serves. The good news is, you don't see this almost at all outside of accidents/tracking issues, for player at the top. All of them respect the table just as they would in real life.Once I implement paddle<>table interactions, this discrepancy will be gone.

another plus in the game: you'll never need to argue with an referee :). The game will know if someone is serving 1 atom over the line, or 1 degree too tilted, or the ball nicks the net barely.

another issue on the negative side:
VR currently only tracks controllers and headset. There are some variations that track more bits, but it's not widespread at all. We will be adding full body avatar systems (or upper body at least), but that will at best be a guess as to the shape of the body. So there is a bit of information loss here. On the opposite side of this, at least until we set up the new system, no more armpit serves where you can't see the ball :)

Last edited:

Crespo

Oct 27, 2017
This should be in everyone's VR collection. Whenever I'm in the mood to use the VR this is usually the first thing I hop into, it's really a great experience.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
never heard of this but I'll have to check it out next time I have my VR set up. Love ping pong and never really get many chances to play. VR is amazing when it's done well and works right, still has a very bright future, the best is yet to come. This is a great example about how you don't necessarily need a ton of complexity to have an engrossing experience

julkanvi

Sep 14, 2020
Yes, i'ts amazing, it feels almost real. It's one of those sports that was meant for VR or viceversa. Golf is another one of those.

spineduke

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really impressed by the paddle/ball physics, didn't expect it to translate so well to the controllers.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Took me awhile to figure out serving but yeah it's a bonkers game.
QUESTION

Yesterday I tried a Single Player match on Medium.

It never ended. I don't know if you can adjust the amount of rounds, but I had to quit it when we hit the 17th round. It was insane, I just wanted a victory (I was up15-2) and it never came.

It never came.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I misread the title as "Elven Table Tennis" for a second and got extremely excited but I never found a good looking table tennis game during the first wave of VR games so this seems cool. Is there a PCVR version and if so is there crossplay?

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah this game is pretty amazing, and one of the first things I tell people to buy when they get into VR. The physics are incredible and the whole thing feels so immersive that when I have guests trying it I have to constantly remind them that the table in front of them is not real and that they should not count on its physical presence to regain balance if they lean forward too much.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Took me awhile to figure out serving but yeah it's a bonkers game.
QUESTION

Yesterday I tried a Single Player match on Medium.

It never ended. I don't know if you can adjust the amount of rounds, but I had to quit it when we hit the 17th round. It was insane, I just wanted a victory (I was up15-2) and it never came.

It never came.

Nah it just keeps going.

I misread the title as "Elven Table Tennis" for a second and got extremely excited but I never found a good looking table tennis game during the first wave of VR games so this seems cool. Is there a PCVR version and if so is there crossplay?
Only on Steam and Oculus at the moment.

Which golf game(s) are you playing?
Top Golf with Pro Putt. It's a lot of fun but there is def some auto aim when putting and driving on the Top Golf Range cause I probably shouldn't be getting aa close as I do with no experience. There is setting to make it more challenging but I'm not sure how accurate they feel and there is no full range course. It's either the Top Gold driving range or putting green courses. The game is a lot of fun tough and I would recommend it.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Yep. My brother and I both have a Quest 2 and we're able to play ping pong hundreds of miles apart. It's ridiculously realistic, like you know it's not real but your surface level brain is convinced. You get better at Eleven, you'll get better at ping pong (especially if you have he racket adapter), and vice versa.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's cross play between PC (Steam/Oculus store) and Quest. Looks like it's also cross buy with the PC Oculus store and the Quest store.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I picked it up, but unfortunately the more "sports" oriented VR games I can't play to my fullest because I just have too small of a VR space ever since I moved. My place is already small enough, and I do actually have a dedicated space for VR and working out, but it's like 5foot by 6foot and like 7ft ceiling. Just not enough for how much I get into these kinds of games I end up hitting the wall and ceiling :(

I have the same issue nowadays with Racket NX and Echo VR sadly, which used to be two of my most played games. Basically anything that requires me to reach a lot while playing is a no-no unless I want to replace my controllers and patch my wall/ceiling :(

Into the backlog they go for now!

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
This is the best VR game I've played…with an emphasis on the R. The physics are exactly as in real life. It's incredible!

Oct 29, 2017
It's fantastic. To be fair I don't really need a robust single-player experience for such VR games but I understand if for many this is very barebones. That's kind of the point. A small dev that wants to create the most realistic experience possible. The priorities are right there. It was one of the first games to get 120FPS support so the devs work hard, just not on content as of now.

My biggest gripe is the UI, which is arguably horrible. I'm sure one day it will get there, until then the main part is still amazing. It's also cross-buy on Oculus so you are getting both the Quest and Rift versions.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This and Thrill of the Fight are the best. They feel like shadow boxing and ping pong.

Also, look at Holopoint to get your archery fill.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
One of the first VR games I played and still playing to this day. Everything about it just feels right.
It's also that one game that makes me want the headset to have wider FOV too. Sometimes the ball is just a bit out of sight. My eyes can track the ball fast enough but I'm still not used to moving my head along with it.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
They uploaded this two days ago. A setting to be able to play against people with high ping.

"If you've ever experienced an issue in-game where it seems that the ball has gone past your opponent, but then they somehow manage to hit it back, or the ball seems to have bounced twice on the table before they return it, then you've probably been playing against an opponent who you have a high ping with, meaning it's taking a long time for information to be sent between you, leading to these strange behaviours. This can now be a thing of the past with PingBall, which introduces a delayed ball in line with the level of ping/latency so you will always see a perfect contact of racket and ball from your opponent, regardless of the level of ping between you."

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
They uploaded this two days ago. A setting to be able to play against people with high ping.

"If you've ever experienced an issue in-game where it seems that the ball has gone past your opponent, but then they somehow manage to hit it back, or the ball seems to have bounced twice on the table before they return it, then you've probably been playing against an opponent who you have a high ping with, meaning it's taking a long time for information to be sent between you, leading to these strange behaviours. This can now be a thing of the past with PingBall, which introduces a delayed ball in line with the level of ping/latency so you will always see a perfect contact of racket and ball from your opponent, regardless of the level of ping between you."

This is a really neat solution for compensating for high pings, though I wonder how disorientating it is to play like this.

D23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% agree. Its extremely realistic and playing this with my cousin thousands of miles away in VR have been mindblowing

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I went to a table tennis club as a kid.
If I can use this game to refresh my skills, then I would be very interested to give it a try. Once I have a PC VR headset of course, haha.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I went to a table tennis club as a kid.
If I can use this game to refresh my skills, then I would be very interested to give it a try. Once I have a PC VR headset of course, haha.
The general consensus is it's realistic enough that it will help your play and the developers hope it to make it a training tool even for pro level players.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready to go pro. Got this from Sanlaki.
tt.png