Once Human
Lost Records: Bloom & Rage
Nirvana Noir
Thrasher
Chasing The Unseen
Darkweb Streamer

Features
Apocalypse Now
- Climate catastrophe meets the extraction shooter in Sharkmob's thrillingly unpredictable Exoborne

Flying Solo - Four indie developers outline the advantages and challenges of creating games on your own

An Audience With...Ikumi Nakamura on past success and hopes for the future with Kemuri at new studio Unseen

The Making Of...an iconic FPS transformed into a console RTS: why Halo Wars wad a jubilant swan song for Ensemble

Studio Profile - How audacity and ambition has allowed Polish dev Fool's Theory to punch well above its weight

Time Extend - The era of the plastic instrument may be over, yet Rock Band 4 continues its extended encore

The Long Game - A rousing new perspective on a classic: why Capcom's Resident Evil 4 remake is even better in VR

Play (reviews)
The Finals (+ post script)
"While it is, naturally, unreasonable to expect this kind of environmental reactivity from every game, we'll admit to needing a slight readjustment period when going back to worlds that are more film set than Lego set. Most videogames focus their interactions on other sentient beings, whether they're player- or computer- controlled. But after a long stretch playing The Finals, or Teardown, or even Minecraft, it's hard not to wonder if we should be treating our surroundings within games the levels, the stages, the maps - as something to be played with, as much as their inhabitants." [8]

Prince Of Persia: The Lost Crown
"It might seem regrettable that a series so famous for depicting the brutal deaths of its protagonist should resort to rote videogame conventions such as respawns and Game Over screens (Sargon's death animation bears an uncanny resemblance to Samus Aran's). But it's a small concession to make when the upshot is a quicker return to the action. And if our new leading man is a more serious sort than his wisecracking predecessors, a similiar playfulness emerges in the way you can flamboyantly pull off death-defying manoeuvres. All of which makes The Lost Crown the most satisfying effort from Ubisoft Montpellier since Rayman Legends. In a rebirth of this calibre, death is a moot point." [8]

Asgard's Wrath 2
"Scale itself, then, isn't reason enough to recommend Asgard's Wrath 2 - indeed, we find ourselves questioning the wisdom of such a long game on hardware that must be charged every couple of hours. Its ambitious scope is easier to admire, as Meta's answer to the every-part-of- the-buffalo titles that accompany new Nintendo hardware, but that comparison has us longing for their polish. Too often, what's on offer feels like a succession of incomplete experiments - the shoulders of giants on which other VR games might build." [6]

Another Code: Recollection
"That future tech, however, raises awkward questions, particularly when the threat of a character's memories being overwritten looms large. Here, the narrative message is in opposition to its wrapper, since Recollection's very existence (not to mention the second game's swingeing cuts) would seem to suggest it's better not to remember things as they were. Granted, technology's relentless march complicates matters; Two Memories, certainly, would be impossible to replicate precisely on Switch. Though the fact that the original versions of these games are not easily available (thus, in principle, justifying these remakes) speaks to their industry's own strained relationship with its past. It's an inconvenient truth to emerge from what Nintendo was presumably hoping would deliver a dose of the warm and fuzzies. But then as Ashley, recalling a friend's advice, observes, "even though facing the truth can be hard, in the end it's always for the best." [6]

Go Mecha Ball
"That fairground rush, then, wears off over umpteen playthroughs, many curtailed more by misfortune than mistake. With more generous health pickups, and without such stark discrepancies between abilities and weapons, Go Mecha Ball's biggest frustrations could be eased. As it stands - or rolls - the combination of luck and skill required for success recaptures the era of Gottlieb and Bally. In more ways than one, Whale Peak's debut sure plays a mean pinball." [6]

Home Safety Hotline
"As the days go by, things grow more unsettling still. Anonymous emails from a disgruntled employee warn that you're in danger. Distorted voices and glitchy dial tones unnerve. And sporadic network outages force you to internalise as much of the bestiary as you can between calls (the hotline has a nasty habit of ringing just as you're reading through a particularly disturbing detail, or listening to a cryptid's cry). Fine voice performances mean the calls themselves often unsettle, though sometimes it's not until you realise the implications of your diagnosis that the chill reaches your spine. With a ed little more mechanical variety, this might've been a as minor classic. Even within its modest parameters, though, it is a terrific piece of worldbuilding - one that leaves us anxiously looking around our own home after we clock out for the final time." [7]

Raindrop Sprinters
"It could not be more straightforward; at times you wonder if there's almost too little to it. But the knowledge that each playthrough contributes to unlocking the other modes (see 'Inclement increments') will keep you playing for a good couple of hours at least, by which time you will most likely have grasped the conditions for unlocking seven skill-boosting 'badges' (finishing without them is a stern challenge in itself, requiring five successful runs through what eventually becomes a torrential downpour). There is genuine character in its presentation, too, from the four distinct jingles that follow successful sprints to the anticipation-heightening Cambridge chimes that precede a new run, the leaderboards celebrating the 'top five brave cats' and the game-over text - 'It's cooooooooold!' - that somehow mollifies the frustration of a run prematurely ended. It's a reminder that good ideas are timeless. Another 40 years from now, we suspect it won't have aged a day." [8]

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It seems kinda fucked up to directly lift text from the magazine.

It's the only way to have actual discussions in this thread. Previously, just numbers were posted and everyone just kind of...imagined what Edge's reasoning might have been. It was utterly fruitless and honestly senseless discussions of a score no one understood the reasoning of.

This is more akin to Metacritic's blurps next to the scores imo. It won't replace the magazine if you want to buy it (actually it sells it a lot better thanks to the summary of the feature includedy thanks OP!).

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Jeff Gerstmann play Raindrop Sprinters, that game looks really cool. Very faithful visually to like a Namco arcade game while also looking really fresh

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I really need to start clearing out some of my games queue as the new Prince of Persia looks so good.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Was just about to write something similar...

I just bought 4 games and I've only started one of them, lol. I reeeeaaaaly want it though!
Saaame!! I have to actually get back to my BG3 playthrough, finish Goodbye Volcano High, then play TLOU:P1 and then :P2R and maybe then I can play PoP 😭

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, guess I'm buying Raindrop Sprinters. It looks so good!

A couple of quid cheaper on the eShop than on Steam, interestingly (£6 vs £8) so I guess I'll grab it on Switch.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im almost done with Home Safety Hotline

very good horror game with minimal jump scares, nails the creepy and insidious factors

came out super early in the year and an easy candidate for my GOTY list

edit: also holy shit, good on Edge reviewing an indie horror game, that doesn't happen that often

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Disappointing to see that about Go Mecha Ball, I'll still gonna try it since I liked the demo and it comes today on GamePass but at the same time I didn't saw any of the feedback sent got addressed in recent videos, hope to be wrong when I'm actually going to try it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Saaame!! I have to actually get back to my BG3 playthrough, finish Goodbye Volcano High, then play TLOU:P1 and then :P2R and maybe then I can play PoP 😭
I put the OT on ignore last night to see if I could forget about it. This thread did not help...

Stay strong, those are some quality games to ease the pain.

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
When this came in the mail, I could not figure what this game was just from the subscriber cover (no name of the game compared to regular edition). I'm sorry, it looked so generic. I had to open my copy to check what the name was. The premise itself sounds more interesting, an extraction shooter with a heavy emphasis on weather systems during a climate catastrophe (topical!). The devs (based in Malmö) have worked on The Divison and World In Conflict previously.

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
im almost done with Home Safety Hotline

very good horror game with minimal jump scares, nails the creepy and insidious factors

came out super early in the year and an easy candidate for my GOTY list

edit: also holy shit, good on Edge reviewing an indie horror game, that doesn't happen that often
This month is crazy for indies! I'll check it out, thanks for the positive impressions. The EDGE review has also sold me. Apparently the D&D Monster Manual first inspired the idea for Nick Lives to make Home Safety Hotline. I'm starting to be a sucker for analogue horror.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
This month is crazy for indies! I'll check it out, thanks for the positive impressions. The EDGE review has also sold me. Apparently the D&D Monster Manual first inspired the idea for Nick Lives to make Home Safety Hotline. I'm starting to be a sucker for analogue horror.
it does a great job persuading you to buy-in to the horror elements of the world, since it's your job

you start learning about these fantasy-horror creatures out of routine, so it feels even more bizarre when things take a turn later on

even after one playthrough it makes you wanna give it another go, since you are more informed

a solid, simple indie horror game

also im a sucker for games that take place on a fake 90s desktop lol

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Edge doesn't play around lol...while the other outlets gave Asgard Wrath 2 BotW/Elden Ring scores.

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
AW2 deserves better in my opinion. I'm still not done with it, but so far I'm amazed at the amount of new abilities and gadgets the game throws at you and the way those are used to solve puzzles and traverse the world. It's just an excellent blend of action, puzzles, open world exploration and set-pieces. And the combat is amazing, the sword-whip/axe-combo is just feels so damn good.

Might have to check out the full review.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Edge doesn't play around lol...while the other outlets gave Asgard Wrath 2 BotW/Elden Ring scores.
Obviously the writer is entitled to their opinion, but I fundamentally disagree with their view that is shown here. The premise that VR games can't or shouldn't be epic in scope because you can't play for hours and hours at a time is kind of dumb tbh. And the part about it not being polished and feeling like a series of experiments…again, entitled to their opinion, but no lol

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I put the OT on ignore last night to see if I could forget about it. This thread did not help...

Stay strong, those are some quality games to ease the pain.
Same to you 💪 we got this. Last year was full of incredible releases, we have to pace ourselves

You reminded me that I really need to get to it! Maybe after Another Code!
I'm really enjoying it! The music is great and the vibes are on point. How are you finding Another Code? That's another on the list for when the queue is cleared, I loved the originals.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Good score for PoP. Super deserved. Best Ubisoft game in easily a decade.

Does Another Code R really cut that much from the original? I'm playing it right now and without knowledge of the OG I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Apparently it goes from a runtime of ~15 hours to like 10-11 from what I've read.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
I'm really enjoying it! The music is great and the vibes are on point. How are you finding Another Code? That's another on the list for when the queue is cleared, I loved the originals.
I LOVED the demo! My copy arrives today, so I can't say anything about the full game, but I really enjoyed the setting and characters. I think the voice acting is pretty good and I'm intruiged by the story, Ashley is a really good protagonist!

Nov 19, 2019
I am aware that this is extremely goofy of me, but whenever I see a spread on an Edge issue that just sticks within the 6-8 range, it makes my tummy grumble.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I LOVED the demo! My copy arrives today, so I can't say anything about the full game, but I really enjoyed the setting and characters. I think the voice acting is pretty good and I'm intruiged by the story, Ashley is a really good protagonist!
Amazing, ahhh it sounds soo good!! I hope you enjoy it 💕

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
That one reader letter in this issue about missing out big releases and rejecting the FOMO speaks to me...

Guess not all the covers can be winners.