• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! Definitely deserved, and with the E3 hype rising I predict the EZA community will see even more growth :)

Oct 25, 2017
Well, still 3 people away at the moment. But pretty close.

That said, we have written and produced a general Patreon pitch for our YouTube audience, that does include said "$1 challenge." Right now, we're just trying to assess the best timing to release it, particularly since it feels a little odd to do so right after the massive success of this past week.

Hmmm, E3 always seems like a good time for this stuff. I'm sure you guys could slot it somewhere around there. Probably at the end of E3?

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Yep, it's locked for anyone below the $7 tier
Wow wonder what the logic behind that is? You'd think they'd want to post it for free on the regular channel to entice fans of that show who aren't already patrons to pledge.

Edit: Unless the video just went up recently and is still in the normal Early Access stage, then I take it all back and it all makes sense.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow wonder what the logic behind that is? You'd think they'd want to post it for free on the regular channel to entice fans of that show who aren't already patrons to pledge.

Edit: Unless the video just went up recently and is still in the normal Early Access stage, then I take it all back and it all makes sense.
It went up almost 2 week ago so I think it was just an oversight...

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Edit: nvm quoted the wrong person. Looks like this thread is pretty strong on echo chamber mentality or something. Some dissent = hater boner/angry etc. Carry on

giphy.gif

It's not that serious.

Now, we've got a new patron record. :)

Woop woop. Congrats!

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
As for today's topics, I think to me it's just a little weird to treat YouTube like a social media feed just because it has a lot of subscribers. Promos for big events like a Retrospective or the fundraising drive make sense to me, but I feel like the audience that wants to know about updates to our Patreon, changes in the schedule, etc. would take the extra step to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or Patreon where that information can be presented more quickly and efficiently. And even though we put a promo out there for the fundraising stream, it's clear that there were still a lot of people that missed it. Still, it's something worth thinking about more, and I've definitely seen the frustration some people have with us not implementing more announcements on YouTube.

Man, just disagree hard with this. Youtube (150k+ subs) is by far the way that most of your fans interact with EZA (Twitch has 40k followers and Twitter has 22k followers). Posting a simple 10 second video 10 minutes-ish before group streams or special streams to Youtube (so, probably about once a week) and then deleting it after the stream is over seems just such a simple way to reach another segment of your audience. Other people do this on youtube and it's always appreciated by me and also if it happened as infrequently as I'm saying I can't imagine people would be annoyed by it.

I mean, you still got people earnestly asking "if that is the Gametrailers guy?" each review. The extremely exciting thing about Easy Allies is new people are discovering them in different ways each day. Also, their "core" audience is incredibly committed to them and apparently obscenely wealthy.

I said this earlier but I'll reiterate while I'm talking about youtube - group streams and fundraising streams should be on the main channel. It's some of EZA's best stuff they do and only has an 1/8th of the subs on second channel (probably a very significant number of EZA fans don't even know it exists). Also, I'd definitely highlight some of the greatness of the fundraising stream and make them separate clips. It's tough that some of the hardest things I've ever laughed at and enjoyed watching Easy Allies are now timestamps on a 9-hour stream on the second channel (thanks for the timestamps!).

The $1 challenge along with a studio hype up/Patreon changes video I think would go a long way in inflating the Patreon subs. Love the recent changes to EZA and it really feels like they're hitting on all cylinders recently.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You honestly think a game like that is gonna sell? Even better sell enough to make it profitable? You can't be economical that way while fully celebrating the lineage, you have to workout partnerships with SE/Capcom/Namco etc. for it. If you honestly think a $10 buck reboot is what's going to happen with the IP or what is needed, that's absurd imho. It's also about image. If you go all out and sell a game like that for so cheap it cheapens the brand value, Sony would be dumb to do so. I mean forget about the business side, why would you want a PS1 style game? If sony goes for it I want them to go all in, not to make a meme game.

Ian's lofi idea was a fun take on the concept and you should probably get over yourself. None of the Allies actually control Sony's first party strategy, but it's clear all you really wanted was someone tell you what you want to hear, rather than consider other perspectives.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
What makes me sad is that, if a Final Bosman show was at 48k, we would very likely have already been there by now. I hope that one day down the line, Bosman will feel like it's time to do it, and WANT to do it.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
I said this earlier but I'll reiterate while I'm talking about youtube - group streams and fundraising streams should be on the main channel. It's some of EZA's best stuff they do and only has an 1/8th of the subs on second channel (probably a very significant number of EZA fans don't even know it exists).
I just know that there's a sizable amount of our audience that doesn't want to watch streams at all or don't feel like they have the time for them, and a lot of them have actually spoken in support of Clips. Those videos do link out to Easy Allies Plays as well, so I think that will raise awareness from the people who are curious about that. Weekly group streams I don't think I'd want on the main channel, but special events like the fundraiser are worth thinking about and could maybe be an exception.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017

As for today's topics, I think to me it's just a little weird to treat YouTube like a social media feed just because it has a lot of subscribers. Promos for big events like a Retrospective or the fundraising drive make sense to me, but I feel like the audience that wants to know about updates to our Patreon, changes in the schedule, etc. would take the extra step to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or Patreon where that information can be presented more quickly and efficiently. And even though we put a promo out there for the fundraising stream, it's clear that there were still a lot of people that missed it. Still, it's something worth thinking about more, and I've definitely seen the frustration some people have with us not implementing more announcements on YouTube.

That said, we have written and produced a general Patreon pitch for our YouTube audience, that does include said "$1 challenge." Right now, we're just trying to assess the best timing to release it, particularly since it feels a little odd to do so right after the massive success of this past week.

Also, the main reason for the mini Reaction Shots episode was to provide something this month for the people in that reward tier since there wasn't a full episode to fulfill their rewards in the normal manner. Meanwhile, Damiani did film a quick Friend Code update, but it didn't turn out right so he ended up scrapping it.

The reaction shots thing does makes sense, but still, you guys should start thinking of yourselves as a Youtube channel supported by Patreon instead of a Patreon that posts to Youtube. You have certain fans on Twitch, certain ones on Patreon, etc. but everyone is on Youtube. It should be treated as top priority when exciting new stuff is happening, or when something goes away and needs more support to come back.
Hmmm, E3 always seems like a good time for this stuff. I'm sure you guys could slot it somewhere around there. Probably at the end of E3?
Eh, they need to ride the hype train, now is not the time to go dormant and fall back into the status quo. It's an exciting time for EZA and the best time to become a patron with all the early access and exclusive shows. They need to push that in the weeks leading up to E3 and keep people talking until the E3 hype can take over. I'd honestly release it tomorrow and if not then, sometime around the spoiler mode with Barlog.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I just know that there's a sizable amount of our audience that doesn't want to watch streams at all or don't feel like they have the time for them, and a lot of them have actually spoken in support of Clips. Those videos do link out to Easy Allies Plays as well, so I think that will raise awareness from the people who are curious about that. Weekly group streams I don't think I'd want on the main channel, but special events like the fundraiser are worth thinking about and could maybe be an exception.

Sure, I can see where you are coming from. Just think the group streams get a a much, much lower number than they "deserve" and that might change for the better along with the added bonus of promoting Twitch and the Easy Allies Plays channel to a bigger audience.

I just see the 2-3 hours that the "group stream live on Twitch" is up on youtube doing a lot more good then what I'd imagine would be the few youtube subs who would be annoyed about the video telling that they are live. Clips I think is a fantastic idea for many reasons. It's both entertaining AND promotes EZA's Twitch and the Easy Allies Plays channel.

Anddd not related to this at all but where else am I going to post this...Here's a Gif that might be only funny to me and apparently Kyle and it was the hardest I laughed during the fundraising stream.
FuOxR6.gif

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Anddd not related to this at all but where else am I going to post this...Here's a Gif that might be only funny to me and apparently Kyle and it was the hardest I laughed during the fundraising stream.
FuOxR6.gif
Great potential for memeing if anyone is talented at editing gifs, namely what is written on the blackboard.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
You honestly think a game like that is gonna sell? Even better sell enough to make it profitable? You can't be economical that way while fully celebrating the lineage, you have to workout partnerships with SE/Capcom/Namco etc. for it. If you honestly think a $10 buck reboot is what's going to happen with the IP or what is needed, that's absurd imho. It's also about image. If you go all out and sell a game like that for so cheap it cheapens the brand value, Sony would be dumb to do so. I mean forget about the business side, why would you want a PS1 style game? If sony goes for it I want them to go all in, not to make a meme game. And no Ian is not exactly a fan of many PS franchises in general and he over talks everyone. Brad in the end just shut up while making faces because what's the use really. It's an issue Ian has that I noticed even at the GOTY awards stream last year.

Also a funzies PS1 style is not going to sell in today's market. And I don't see Sony going for it at all. I personally don't want it either. There are better ways to go for a unified style. A ps1 graphic option would be ok however, a PS1 mode or some similar option.
Nothing could cheapen the brand more than this:

TNLFT.png

Oct 25, 2017
So because I don't like his takes and because I rather prefer some of the other allies it makes me have a hater boner? What are we 15? If my first post was too hard for you to understand, I'm saying I want to see allies have a genuine serious discussion about the topic because I think it would be fascinating. I don't hate any of the allies. Ian can be annoying but hate? Please.

I really don't this anyone cares about psbar. It was a subpar game that failed. Making another follow up would be foolish.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down for a new PSASBR but there was so many mistakes made with the original trying to discuss seriously improving it is pretty futile, they'd need to start from scratch.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
It's be cool to see the Allies do a full playthrough of a Game in bits and pieces. I was thinking about how fun it would be to have them do a Bethesda RPG like Fallout 3 or New Vegas and take it an hour at a time.

So Damiani spends an hour attempting to plough through the main quest, it gets passed to Ian who does a full character makeover and sells all their equipment, and then it gets passed to Kyle who spends the entire hour moving them as far out of the path of the main quest as possible.

The series could last >200 hours.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I am honestly not sure if you can get a decent Sony cast in a game like this without going to Sackboy and the Parappa The Rapper and such. You would only have a couple of characters otherwise.

I am not the biggest Smash fan (I don't hate it either like I said here before and the Nintendo Switch is my first home Nintendo console, while I own all Playstations), but I would take a Smash game over a Playstation branded one any day of the week.
I don't think Sony should try to resurrect PSASBR. I do wish them all the best if they decide to create an other one, but I am not sure if their cast works together as well as the Nintendo cast does. I do hope for the people who want one that they prove me wrong as I don't have anything against PSASBR either (I haven't played it).

I also didn't notice that Ian went overboard or anything like that. It felt to me that they weren't feeling the idea of an other PSASBR game and that's ok.

Last edited:

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's be cool to see the Allies do a full playthrough of a Game in bits and pieces. I was thinking about how fun it would be to have them do a Bethesda RPG like Fallout 3 or New Vegas and take it an hour at a time.

So Damiani spends an hour attempting to plough through the main quest, it gets passed to Ian who does a full character makeover and sells all their equipment, and then it gets passed to Kyle who spends the entire hour moving them as far out of the path of the main quest as possible.

The series could last >200 hours.
You can't keep having the best ideas forever, or can you? I want this show right now.

Oct 27, 2017
What makes me sad is that, if a Final Bosman show was at 48k, we would very likely have already been there by now. I hope that one day down the line, Bosman will feel like it's time to do it, and WANT to do it.

I love all of the allies and they all bring something different, but the main draw for me is Kyle - his perspectives and insights into games are so interesting and well though out to me, and he is always analysing games and game design. For example, he will be playing a game on Twitch and every so often he will just stop and question the in-game actions he has just taken, why the developers did that and what the consequences of this are to the player and the context of the game. The Final Bossman was this quality absolutely concentrated and I loved the show for that reason, and I would absolutely love for it to return (but obviously only if Kyle is keen on doing it again).

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Sure, I can see where you are coming from. Just think the group streams get a a much, much lower number than they "deserve" and that might change for the better along with the added bonus of promoting Twitch and the Easy Allies Plays channel to a bigger audience.

As can be seen by my earlier posts regarding the fundraiser. I think it's a huge mis-step to not post "We're live" videos for big events. Yeah, solo-streams you're likely to annoy people. But Group Streams and Special events? They're rare and short, so the benefits of directing new subscribers/viewers to the stream most likely outweigh the negatives.

I would disagree with Group Streams being on the main channel though, at least automatically. While they're quite often a hit, they can be a miss (Metal Gear Survive was a terrible stream, it was really really boring). I don't think it would be particularly wise to upload anything that they aren't absolutely sure will have at least some entertainment value for the majority of viewers. I think a safer bet is to perhaps split Easy Allies Clips into 2 segments. Starting with a "Clips from this weeks Group Stream! Watch Live every week at 6PM PST!" segment, maybe with a little VO from Brandon just explaining the premise of the Group Stream in a sentence or two, that plays clips in chronological order from the Group Stream, thus showcasing the Group Stream, and then follow with the rest of the clips from the video. Equally though this might hurt the 'short and sweet'ness of Clips in its current form, which I wouldn't want to hurt.

Oct 27, 2017

I just see the 2-3 hours that the "group stream live on Twitch" is up on youtube doing a lot more good then what I'd imagine would be the few youtube subs who would be annoyed about the video telling that they are live. Clips I think is a fantastic idea for many reasons. It's both entertaining AND promotes EZA's Twitch and the Easy Allies Plays channel.

FuOxR6.gif

JrQN4X4.gif

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Amazing stuff, me and the wife absolutely loved the music video. It was peak Kyle, tongue in cheek, a little sad, very funny and very endearing.

I also wish Kyle wanted to/could do more Final Bossman, i truly do miss that show and it allowed Kyle to do the sort of ridiculous and silly humour that only he is capable of like a bottle of sprite marrying a copy of Jet Moto and having a baby toy car (IIRC).

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Also, the main reason for the mini Reaction Shots episode was to provide something this month for the people in that reward tier since there wasn't a full episode to fulfill their rewards in the normal manner. Meanwhile, Damiani did film a quick Friend Code update, but it didn't turn out right so he ended up scrapping it.
Uh, what? Really? That seems completely ridiculous to me. Friend Code typically got 10-15k views each episode and who knows how many listeners from the podcast feed. Even if you assume every patron watched it, that's still thousands of viewers and listeners who have to follow the Twitter, Facebook or Patreon feeds to have any clue what's happened to it (and that's if the news even comes out on all three, it often seems like you have to follow at least two of them to get a complete picture). Seems to me like it should be second nature to keep all those fans informed, especially if there's a very good chance the show will come back in a month's time and you want it to pick up where it left off. All it needed was a short 3-5 minute video/audio clip explaining why it's going on hiatus and encouraging fans to contribute to the Patreon if they want it to come back and stay.

Regardless, congrats on beating the patron record. It's kinda crazy how much momentum the fundraiser gave EZA.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing stuff, me and the wife absolutely loved the music video. It was peak Kyle, tongue in cheek, a little sad, very funny and very endearing.

I also wish Kyle wanted to/could do more Final Bossman, i truly do miss that show and it allowed Kyle to do the sort of ridiculous and silly humour that only he is capable of like a bottle of sprite marrying a copy of Jet Moto and having a baby toy car (IIRC).

The wiki still needs updating

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What do you think will be EZA's growth rate from now on?
Do you think we'll reach stable 46k by the end of E3? Will they hit 50k by the time EZA in Concert 3 hits?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017

It's really hard to agree with this when the video "A Quick Word Frm Jones" stands at 35k views, a 100/1 like ratio and an incredibly positive comment section. People love quick video updates on Youtube, they like being addressed to directly, and it will always be more effective than a Patreon post. After watching that video I hoped the "quick word from Jones" format would return regularly, a sort of condensed Cup of Jones, to quickly and easily adress the community.

Wiggy

Oct 26, 2017
I've long thought group streams should go on the main channel. It's the only time we see the whole gang together each week, so it's always a big event for fans and should be treated as such.

By that I mean they should always be 'main channel worthy' not just HOG etc - in design at least, if not execution.

Hopefully with the new system of picking games in advance, there's opportunity for more planning/production/formatting for is essentially a live weekly 2hour entertainment show.

For better or worse I think that's what the selection committee were trying, and it certainly increased the quality of streams for a while.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
It's really hard to agree with this when the video "A Quick Word Frm Jones" stands at 35k views, a 100/1 like ratio and an incredibly positive comment section. People love quick video updates on Youtube, they like being addressed to directly, and it will always be more effective than a Patreon post. After watching that video I hoped the "quick word from Jones" format would return regularly, a sort of condensed Cup of Jones, to quickly and easily adress the community.
That's not going to happen because it would mean that Jones would have to do two recordings or edit CoJ down, both of which are more work for him.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a tough week. I have so much more of God of War to play, which means I'm missing out on half of the gaming threads at the moment.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
That's not going to happen because it would mean that Jones would have to do two recordings or edit CoJ down, both of which are more work for him.
Well it wouldn't have to happen systematically, just when something is worth sharing to the community at large. A short video in the same format explaining why there wouldn't be Reaction Shot and Friend Code podcasts this month and reminding people of the goals would have worked really well I think. And when they do finally buy all that gear, a short video from Jones keeping us posted would be really cool. That kind of thing.

If these short updates do around 30k views each, I'm pretty sure that's way more than any Patreon post or Twitch stream could ever do. Plus, it's easily shareable when people ask questions related to it. And like I said, people love being talked to directly.

myfatdad

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
User Warned: Trolling.
As an internet marketeer / guru and social media strategist I'd be more than willing to guide the allies with the most effective social media marketing strategies. I'd fund the entire process myself ofcourse. A small budget of 70k would be put towards the Allies and their social media campaigns alongside Google Adwords for YouTube.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Watching the last podcast, it's a damn shame that Huber was not in there for the ps all stars idea topic. Ian is useless for this. A $10 game for funzies with all characters..really? And No sackboy or Jack & Daxter? sigh what a waste of a what could have been a fun/interesting topic.

I hope Frame Trap at least brings up this topic in the future. I really wanna know what Ben and Huber think.
This topic " how would wemake PS ALL STARS good? Has been covered to death since the game was revealed and its alwaus the same answer. "Make it more like smash bros." Atleast ian found a way to spice up the question instead of just giving the usual answer. No offense meant to brad (I think it was him) who did say to just make it like smash bros.

Oct 25, 2017
As an internet marketeer / guru and social media strategist I'd be more than willing to guide the allies with the most effective social media marketing strategies. I'd fund the entire process myself ofcourse. A small budget of 70k would be put towards the Allies and their social media campaigns alongside Google Adwords for YouTube.

You're still at it, ehh?

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

This is the longest bit.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
44k! Congrats Allies.

What's cool is that it feels like a healthy progression. People are really positive and excited since that group stream and it naturally shows in the Patreon numbers. That's the best kind of growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.