Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
RightwingEra will come on in to defend EA to lecture all of us about personal responsibility, lootboxes have nothing in common with gambling, and the entire industry will collapse if lootboxes are regulated. Prices on games will skyrocket to $200. And the faults will open.

Indeed, the argument of the prices of games rising because of ban of lootboxes is laughable. EA is totally fucked if this practice finally becomes regulated because they simply stopped making games to sit on the easy lootbox money. They will finally have to go back making real games again if they want to survive.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

giphy.gif
72acfe534c4493496e655a31c95f8d5ef0f4f73bcb2c8b2b062e4aee5f0c9640.gif

Oh wow, it keeps getting better. Couldn't have thought Epic can top that EA spin, but they went ahead and did it!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a silly spin, but honestly, I don't see the ethical difference between lootboxes and trading cards. Pokemon card booster packs are random, cost a decent amount of money, usually don't have anything great in them, and to top it all off, they are marketed directly to kids. If that's ok, I don't see why lootboxes aren't.

Because it's much harder to psychologically manipulate a child in to buying a thousand bucks of Yu-Gi-Oh cards than it is FIFA packs or whatever the lootbox of the month is.

Every part of a gacha function in a game, including lootboxes, tend to be meticulously designed to make you* spend as much as physically possible through all sorts of underhanded shit that you can't do with a physical box of cards. Trading cards can't be varied to be more likely to make a person spend, for instance. Even if you want to buy lots of them, there's a limit to how many you can buy (shops don't ever stock an infinite amount) or a long delay between purchase and delivery (if you're buying online) that inherently makes them less addictive by their nature.

*You of course meaning people who are susceptible to that kind of thing, not necessarily literally you.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody knows they do it for profit. It doesn't mean it's okay, but I get it. But going with the "it's actuall ethical" defence... JFC.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I laughed myself reading the thread title.
"It's not poison, it's a fun, surprising liquid!"

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair to EA, this logic literally sounds like the stuff parroted by drone consumers in threads defending this stuff.

The only thing missing is the whole, "loot boxes are needed in order for modern videogames to exist."

> Can you show us your financial books to prove that?

Uhhh, trust us. Just trust us.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Right, but that's the inherent problem with these arguments publishers are making. "It's ethical because players always get something of value" and "none of these digital items have value" are incompatible. Most of the common items in lootboxes are essentially worthless, and publishers know this because the system is designed that way.
It's not necessarily an oxymoronic argument, as "value" has different meanings in the two statements.
"Players always get something of value" is a legal requirement in some jurisdictions when it comes to loot boxes--you have to get something, you can't get nothing. This is why games tend to include a conversion mechanic that doubles as a pity mechanic (e.g. disenchanting Hearthstone cards into dust, or maxed out Clash Royale cards converting into gold).
"None of these digital items have value" refers to real world monetary value, as in you can't sell them for real money. Companies like Valve and (it seems like EA? not familiar with FIFA personally) skirt this by allowing player-to-player trading, which breaks the supposedly closed loop economy, and effectively turns it into real gambling through the gray market.

"Most common items are useless" tends to be true, but it's not endemic to lootboxes. Good lootbox designs will still ascribe value to common drops.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
May 1, 2018
It's not "murder" it's "a surprise end of life"

I don't think loot boxes are inherently predatory, but the way that companies specifically target people with addictive tendencies and kids who probably don't have any money of their own is incredibly immoral.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Why is EA like this.

Look at their stock price, it skyrocketed once they started to be like this, they did all the things investors wanted to see: big investments into mobile, microtransactions/loot boxes, kill every single IP who isn't a cash cow, embrace the trends (like battle royale with Apex).

From a business perspective they've done a lot to reach this point so congratulations, but i lost interest on their products long ago, it's all so serious, quite boring frankly. I play video games to have fun.

I hope some day they'll go back to their roots.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
HIlr6b5.gif

This is hilarious lol how about "Curiosity Compensation", "Astonishment Packages" or "Variable Bewilderment Dispensary"

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Why can't people have self control and show an ounce of personal responsibility like baseball cards and kinder eggs??! Those other two groups show some self restraint! It's the parents and the addicts who are really to blame in all this.

Yeahhhhhh /s

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree that gacha like mechanics can be fun and enjoyable to people. It's been a part of Japanese culture for years. But when you're encouraging 'whales' it isn't ethical. When you're encouraging impulse, and praying on a players perceived 'need' it's unethical.

Example. I wouldn't call FF Brave Exvius a good example of gacha done right. But one thing I do like is they absolutely don't encourage you to collect all the final fantasy characters. You do your gacha and you're proud of your little collection of cool digital toys, but you never feel like you HAVE to keep pulling to collect them all. Now Brave Exvius does make you feel like you need to pull in other ways, so I'm not giving it a pass. I'm just saying you can use surprise mechanics without being predatory. But I can't think of anyone who does.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I actually agree that gacha like mechanics can be fun and enjoyable to people. It's been a part of Japanese culture for years. But when you're encouraging 'whales' it isn't ethical. When you're encouraging impulse, and praying on a players perceived 'need' it's unethical.

Example. I wouldn't call FF Brave Exvius a good example of gacha done right. But one thing I do like is they absolutely don't encourage you to collect all the final fantasy characters. You do your gacha and you're proud of your little collection of cool digital toys, but you never feel like you HAVE to keep pulling to collect them all. Now Brave Exvius does make you feel like you need to pull in other ways, so I'm not giving it a pass. I'm just saying you can use surprise mechanics without being predatory. But I can't think of anyone who does.
Problem is, gacha mechanics by nature are low conversion, high ARPPU. Of all the monetization methods out there, this is the one that is most tailored towards whales. If there is a gacha-driven (successful) game out there that isn't specifically built for high individual spend, I've yet to see it. HotS comes close... but it didn't quite succeed.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Right, so the one where you can sell your best cards for huge profit is... not gambling, and the one where you can't profit at all is... gambling? Hmmm.

If by huge you mean $5 after accounting for price of the starter deck, then yeah. The cards hold value not because the developer said so, but because I agreed to buy it from you because it was (for example) drawn by my favorite artist or is my favorite archetype.

The "huge" profits you're thinking about are from cards that can literally be classified as antiques.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I remember you talking about that sort of thing in another Exvius topic the other day. I absolutely agree with you that a loot box, gatcha, random loot drops in a RPG can be incredibly fun game mechanics. The entire problem with all of it is that they became monetized. There's so many terrible ways for developers and companies to capitalize on random elements that it's dangerous if it isn't regulated. EAs statements are blatantly trying to defend their golden goose. There's money to had by ripping people off and that's the world we live in. I'm not saying you're defending these practices at all, but other people who do defend these blemishes on the industry fail to understand there are much more honest ways to make a buck.

I think more devs should try to come up with the recent trend of season pass monetization (ex. fortnite, dauntless) with obtainable items/gifts/whatever that reward players who spend time with the game. It's a lot more fair and honest than pulling blind boxes all day. If a company needs to make extra money off their game they can sell skins, sell add ons, sell things that aren't the equivalent of pulling a lever on a slot machine.

Last edited:

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
No if the rates are false, they're committing fraud. Plus we're talking specifically about EA lootboxes since that's the topic of this thread. So we don't have to talk generally if lootboxes are ethical, we can talk about EA's implementation.

Fraud is an unethical act.

Also, what's different about EA implementation about the system ? It's not like the laws are just targeting them either.

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never seen a kid using their parent's credit card to get 5000$ worth of kinder eggs, but heck what do I know.