Jul 2, 2021

View: https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1762948663490269532
In a note to staff, EA CEO Andrew Wilson said the company is also "moving away from development of future licensed IP that we do not believe will be successful in our changing industry."

GamesIndustry.biz understands that one such title was cancelled as part of this plan, with the teams working on it redeployed to other projects.

Outside of sports or racing, EA's major external licenses in recent years have included Disney properties like Star Wars and Marvel, which the company has tapped for upcoming games based on Black Panther and Iron Man. (An EA representative confirmed both Black Panther and Iron Man remain in development.)

Wilson explained the rationale for the shift away from licensed IP in his note, saying, "This greater focus allows us to drive creativity, accelerate innovation, and double down on our biggest opportunities — including our owned IP, sports, and massive online communities — to deliver the entertainment players want today and tomorrow."

On the job cuts, Wilson said the publisher "deeply considered every option to try and limit impacts to our teams."

He added that informing people of those impacts is a process that should be "largely completed by early next quarter."
47147bc921e1af8e5115b8cbbadacb6a.gif

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
1. This sucks, another fucking layoff story within the last 24 hours
2. I wonder if this means something's gone wrong with the Iron Man game we know of. We haven't heard anything about that untitled Marvel game from EA so..

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
2. I wonder if this means something's gone wrong with the Iron Man game we know of. We haven't heard anything about that untitled Marvel game from EA so..
They mentioned the current licensed games are not affected apparently.

Even as they make multiple Star Wars and Marvel games?
Maybe besides Respawn continuing to do SW, the Marvel games will basically be it from them? These are the kinds of things that can change if the money is too tempting though.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
It's the last week of the month. Last week of next month is gonna be even worse because it's the end of the fiscal year.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
This feels like a horrible recurring bad joke that just keeps getting repeated. I cannot believe the state of big publishers right now. What the fuck.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018

Bummer.
Even if everything is going great, if the conditions are similar to the one's for Spider-Man 2, that IP is not cheap at all.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
The is fucking disgusting. And these people couldn't be part of your new future? Eat my ass.

Also, them saying to double down on sports games is fucking laughable. They are as cheap as they come when it comes to sports games.

So basically fuck EA for this and the loss of jobs and fuck EA because they're full of shit.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Sucks ass that even more people are getting laid off. Only upside is deciding to double down on their own IPs might save the new Mass Effect.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Jfc this fucking sucks. I wonder if the Star Wars games at Respawn were affected. Or there was more stuff besides those, Black Panther and Iron Man?

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord. Not a lot that can really be discussed here, but I hope those affected can land on their feet and we can get to a point where game dev becomes more sustainable and less actively hostile.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Lol but ofcourse, yes andrew im sure you considered all options, fuckwad

Also I wonder how much money they gotta pay disney for both their marvel and starwars games

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Moves away from future licensed games, but like 90% of your games are that, like are they just not going to pick up more or slowly move on from overly relying on them outside of sports games, where they have no choice but to.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
So they're doing Iron Man, Black Panther and the Star Wars games currently in the works (Jedi 3, Mando FPS, strategy game) and then stopping licensed games?

Hopefully this means Motive will do Dead Space 2 remake after Iron Man.

I imagine the rationale here is to save money on the licensing fees.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
Having to regularly show profit increases to investors by having massive layoffs is just the norm now it seems

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Seeing the insomniac terms I'm wondering how much Disney is trying to extract from these deals. They may be asking for too high a price / sales commitment

sedael

Oct 16, 2020
This sucks but also isn't super surprising I don't think. The insomniac docs about how much they had to pay for spider-man royalties is clearly not sustainable

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
is there a list somewhere of all the game layoffs we've had just this year?

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
At this point, what company is even left to have massive layoffs? Ubisoft?

Disgusting stuff from all of these execs. None of them will suffer but the workers they enticed to change their entire life for them will.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This bloodbath will not end :(

Hope everyone lands on their feet.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it makes sense to try and grow your own stable of bankable IP but EA has dropped the ball so hard in this regard. Almost all of their big games are reliant on licenses. Obviously with stuff like EA FC or Madden this is impossible to get around, but they've let so much internal IP just sort of rot away like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. Could be too little too late unless some stuff hits.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off topic but is there any reason all these stories are coming out this week? Is it an end of the financial year thing?

On topic: shit's awful, hope everyone laid off gets a good package and finds work soon

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Your best games have been Star Wars and your backing away from that? Why!? Also, the sims 4 now has a big ad button in the game itself if people are wondering...
I have to wonder how profitable the Star Wars license is for them. If it's anything like Spiderman you're paying a big fee just to use the license. Could that money better be spent on IP you can own and monetize to your liking.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
As I said before, the gaming job market is going to be extremely competitive with all these now unemployed game devs, it's going to be rough for those affected unfortunately

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
As I said before, the gaming job market is going to be extremely competitive with all these now unemployed game devs, it's going to be rough for those affected unfortunately
Yeah, imagine studying game dev right now...The job prospects must be awful. I almost did it, but ultimately I decided to go for Computer Science because it was more generalist. I'm grateful

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why would any young person want to try and have a career in this industry