Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Dr. Lava was hyping this up on Twitter a few weeks back, looking forward to this!

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow this book mentions Nidorina lose their ability to breed upon evolving from Nidoran...so that explains it.

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
Part 2 is out:

To iterate a few reasons of why this is incredibly important:
  • This is one of the first Pokémon products ever, released in 1996, created directly by Game Freak and published by Creatures.
  • The official artworks for Pokémon of the first generation (some of which were likely simply sprites prior) were created for this very book.
  • It was intended to be complemental material to Pokémon Red and Green and content included were presented as canonical, down to the fact that the encyclopedia had a Pokémon world character as a pseudo-author.
  • Some details have been altered today, but many more still apply, including things that had been puzzling fans for decades, such as the Nidorina thing Birdie mentions above. Even some weird seemingly anime-created lore (such as Scyther's and Electabuzz's fascination for the colour red) originates from this book.
  • The production quality behind this whole project is incredible. Nob Ogasawara (the Pokémon translator) localising is just so incredibly wholesome and perfect. I couldn't pick a better person for this job even if I could freely choose from the entire planet. Attaching Nekkra (narrator of the Legends Arceus trailer) to do the narration is also incredible. HiResPokemon has also been bringing A-grade scans of the book itself, consistent in quality with all of their previous work.
Dr. Lava, Helix Chamber, Hi-Res Pokémon, and the whole circle of fans that started to come up around 2018 with the discovery of the Gold and Silver Space World demo has really stepped up the game with regards to rescue, archival and promotion of old (and sometimes new!) obscure material of the Pokémon series. As a fan since the very beginning, I'm so incredibly happy to see interest in this kind of stuff. It really makes me appreciate how far the series has come and just how special it is in certain ways.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Kid me would have been obsessed with this. I like that it seems to confirm the more ridiculous bits of Pokedex entries are in fact true and not exaggerations by children lol.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I would have loved to have this as a kid. I got pretty much every Pokemon book that showed up in school booksales during gen 1.