Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
I just finished watching wangan midnight anime. I actually enjoyed it, and now I'm getting ready to watch Initial D for the first time. Any of you guys enjoy driving anime? Which one out of the two shows is better in your opinion? Did you like Initial D more? Or did you like Wangan Midnight more? I'm a huge fan of the Wangan midnight games and have been playing them a lot lately so that's why I wanted to check out the anime. What other driving anime is out there besides these two that you would recommend?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Both are very different in what they go for. Initial D is much more fun of a show if you're really into cars. It's very exposition heavy which for me worked perfectly. Hope you enjoy it.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Never actually got around to watching Midnight, but I've seen Initial D multiple times

Oct 29, 2017
I find the Initial D remakes to be the best. The animation is improved and more importantly, they got rid of all the chauvinism.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
D. The animation is rough in the first two seasons though. It greatly improves later on.

I could never really get into WM.

OP
OP
Isamu

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Wow! Awesome guys! Didn't know there were people here that had watched both of them. Definitely looking forward to watching initial D now. If by eurobeat, you mean EDM/Trance, then absolutely, that's my jam!

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Oh Initial D by far for me. The live action movie was passable but actually had some big actors. Game wise I'd barely give it the edge over Wangan because while it has some really good games there were some how did this get made pc games as well where as the Maximum Tune games I've played have been around the same level.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Initial D starts very strong, great secondary characters very funny too, great music too and the secondary plot with the love interest is also kind of dark if I understand the implications of what she was doing.
But by the 4th season the show loses steams and the plot just fizzles-out.
I haven't seen the other show so can't comment on that one.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Initial D is fucking incredible. I haven't seen the other show, but I stand by my answer.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! Awesome guys! Didn't know there were people here that had watched both of them. Definitely looking forward to watching initial D now. If by eurobeat, you mean EDM/Trance, then absolutely, that's my jam!
Frankly Eurobeat is better than both. You won't think so but once you're several races in then go to drive your own car if you have one, you'll understand.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Can't speak yet which one is better since I stopped watching Wangan for whatever reason I don't recall but I absolutely loved Initial D and my wife had to deal with me blasting eurobeat for a couple months lol.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
ID > Wangan
Initial D is pretty great but as others have said it loses steam towards the end. Wangan is good but it's only 26 eps and sort of ends when it just gets going iirc was hoping for a season 2

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Initial D OP you picked a great time. The follow up to it MF Ghost is scheduled to start airing in 2023.

To be honest I kinda remember the Wangan movie and a few episodes of the anime. Based on the responses here I would really like to watch it now.

OP
OP
Isamu

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
I just finished the first stage, and all I can say is wow!!! What a show! Takumi is an absolute beast! But man, I really really wanted to punch Iketani in the face after watching episode 20. What an absolute knucklehead and a clown, for letting Mako go.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I just finished the first stage, and all I can say is wow!!! What a show! Takumi is an absolute beast! But man, I really really wanted to punch Iketani in the face after watching episode 20. What an absolute knucklehead and a clown, for letting Mako go.
Second stage is straight feels.. brace yourself.

And remember drivers ride alone.

OP
OP
Isamu

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
OK guys....**FINALLY** completed Initial D. And the verdict??? ID by far over WM lol? But I mean, this should cum as no surprise, since ID has many more episodes.

Anyway, Unfortunately I don't have access to the "Final Stage", so watched only the original TV series ending in the Fifth Stage at ep.14. Well, all I can say is that yeah, Fifth Stage wasn't that great, but it also wasn't **THAT** bad! I mean, the say some people were going on about it, I was expecting Takumi and his opponents to stop in the middle of the race, get out of their cars and break out into a song and dance Wizard of Oz style lol.

Looking forward to MF Ghost!!! Are you guys hyped for it? Has there been any trailers, interviews, articles, etc?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

This movie goes SOOO cheap now too.
Recommended to all. Gifs to sell my/our case:

PlayfulHardAkitainu-max-1mb.gif

b0eae61196db2b25908530376a8a8a64.gif

e6c9907069557552745e0dbe65b4e18f.gif

tumblr_pmvyfsqlTe1v1hotuo2_540.gifv

CookedComplexDanishswedishfarmdog-size_restricted.gif

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
OK guys....**FINALLY** completed Initial D. And the verdict??? ID by far over WM lol? But I mean, this should cum as no surprise, since ID has many more episodes.

Anyway, Unfortunately I don't have access to the "Final Stage", so watched only the original TV series ending in the Fifth Stage at ep.14. Well, all I can say is that yeah, Fifth Stage wasn't that great, but it also wasn't **THAT** bad! I mean, the say some people were going on about it, I was expecting Takumi and his opponents to stop in the middle of the race, get out of their cars and break out into a song and dance Wizard of Oz style lol.

Looking forward to MF Ghost!!! Are you guys hyped for it? Has there been any trailers, interviews, articles, etc?

I much prefer Initial D over Wangan Midnight, but that's because I never got that into Wangan Midnight. Personally I'm not as much into 4th stage and later, but its still ok. The anime had a more fleshed out ending than the manga as well. But 1st stage - 3rd stage are excellent IMO.

Haven't started reading MF Ghost yet, but I might read it eventually.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Glad you liked it. If you drive, let me know if you've found yourself driving a night, looking into your rear view mirror and see some lights pull up behind you, and immediately ADRENALINE starts playing in your head. It does for me to this day.

Sometimes Forever Young plays in my head too.....then subsequently it's coming out of speakers as my Initial D playlist is always at the ready.