Votes: 133 18.9%
  • Not Like Us

Votes: 287 40.8%
  • Other

Votes: 14 2.0%

• Total voters

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Taylor Swift has outsold David Bowie. Which has a more enduring and impactful legacy?

And Kendrick ended up influencing that legacy, as Bowie's producer Tony Visconti recounted on Bowie's final album Blackstar: "We were listening to a lot of Kendrick Lamar. We loved the fact Kendrick was so open-minded and he didn't do a straight-up hip-hop record. He threw everything on there, and that's exactly what we wanted to do."

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MtG is still my favorite, I love how it just feels wrong to even be listening to it

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Not Like Us my favorite probably, Meet the Grahams as the most artistically dramatic.

Euphoria and 6:16 as just really fun lyrical tracks in general

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
He'll release a new album when he has something to say, could be next month, could be in 5 years, but there's only been a big gap like that once and I'm pretty sure Mr Morale only took so long due to the personal subject matter resulting in years of writers block, plus birth of two kids, plus covid. He sounds hungry again, and I don't think he's just eating beef.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

not really.
And Kendrick ended up influencing that legacy, as Bowie's producer Tony Visconti recounted on Bowie's final album Blackstar: "We were listening to a lot of Kendrick Lamar. We loved the fact Kendrick was so open-minded and he didn't do a straight-up hip-hop record. He threw everything on there, and that's exactly what we wanted to do."

I had no idea but at the same time I'm not surprised.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
i fully believe some version of Not Like Us drops this year even if this beef doesnt pop off, maybe the lyrics would be different

you dont just sit on a song like that.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
If you really think this you lack historical perspective. And I say this as a Bowie fan who doesn't really listen to Taylor Swift.

what historical perspective am I lacking? it's hard to imagine a lot of 70s rock and pop sub-genres flourishing without Bowie. I can't think of an artist with the amount of output and variety of said output between 1970 and 1980. The record industry simply doesn't work the way it used to (which is a good thing btw) and the genres we recognize now weren't quite as codified as they are now.

i fully believe some version of Not Like Us drops this year even if this beef doesnt pop off, maybe the lyrics would be different

you dont just sit on a song like that.

Wasn't Kendrick sitting on the beat for MTG for a few years now? I think you're right.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
what historical perspective am I lacking? it's hard to imagine a lot of 70s rock and pop sub-genres not flourishing without Bowie. I can't think of an artist with the amount of output and variety of said output between 1970 and 1980. The record industry simply doesn't work the way it used to (which is a good thing btw) and the genres we recognize now weren't quite as codified as they are now.

Yeah, it's no diss to Swift because she's broken a zillion records but the whole point of the discussion is record sales is not the only barometer of an artists popularity or influence. As it stands now Swift will eclipse Madonna, Beyonce, Janet Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston as the biggest selling female pop star of all time. Her impact on the music business is immeasurable.

Impact in music itself though? In 15 plus years as a force in the industry? Much tougher sell against those names. It is a different time though and guitar and pure driven pop its hard to re-invent the wheel. She's not gonna pull a Radiohead and make experimental synth music, jazz a la Kendrick, but I bet you she's got a great dirt country album in her but that's no longer her brand.

Oct 25, 2017
what historical perspective am I lacking? it's hard to imagine a lot of 70s rock and pop sub-genres flourishing without Bowie. I can't think of an artist with the amount of output and variety of said output between 1970 and 1980. The record industry simply doesn't work the way it used to (which is a good thing btw) and the genres we recognize now weren't quite as codified as they are now.

All those things regarding Bowie are true. He's a legit trailblazer and iconoclast.

However it's still too early to evaluate TS impact. I might be a 48 year old white guy but I can honestly say I've never seen a major artist connect with young women like she does. Why is that so? How will she influence future generations?

You might be right in the end, but to really answer the question we'll need to ask historians at least 25 years after Swift is done making music.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
All those things regarding Bowie are true. He's a legit trailblazer and iconoclast.

However it's still too early to evaluate TS impact. I might be a 48 year old white guy but I can honestly say I've never seen a major artist connect with young women like she does. Why is that so? How will she influence future generations?

You might be right in the end, but to really answer the question we'll need to ask historians at least 25 years after Swift is done making music.
I mean, I'm just a person on the internet too, but plenty of bands and artists connect with people just like she does all the time.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why NLU would win the poll. But it MTG is the one true answer.

Jan 20, 2022
Divorced from the beef itself, I might actually like Family Matters the best. But given the way it was released, Meet the Grahams is my favorite by far

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God to be a fly on the wall of the room where and when Drake found out about Meet the Grahams

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
If it was best diss, I probably wouldve voted something else. But with the poll saying best song, I had to vote NLU. Shit is a bop.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Meet the Grahams has to be my favorite. That beat that sounds like a horror movie, Kendrick going straight at Drake's throat with the reveals and implications... It's a scary, scary track and both Kendrick and Alc absolutely snapped. Yes, Not Like Us is a banger and it's funny, but Meet the Grahams is just next level.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
Meet the Grahams was some movie shit, the calculated release, the piano... Dear Adonis, those two words sent chills through my spine. Sandra, sit down, the absolute disgust in his voice following that line. You lied. You lied. Creepy ass shit. Even detached from the whole beef it's a masterful piece of music.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Meet the Grahams was some movie shit, the calculated release, the piano... Dear Adonis, those two words sent chills through my spine. Sandra, sit down, the absolute disgust in his voice following that line. You lied. You lied. Creepy ass shit. Even detached from the whole beef it's a masterful piece of music.
The NERVE of you Dennis…

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A line from Euphoria that doesn't get talked about much
"It's 3 GOATs left and I see two of them kissin and huggin on stage
I love em to death and in 8 bars, I'll explain that phrase"

*8 bars later*

"Cole and Aubrey know I'm a selfish the crown is heavy
I pray they my real friends if not I'm YMW Melly"
I loved that he actually explained that eight bars later.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
A line from Euphoria that doesn't get talked about much
"It's 3 GOATs left and I see two of them kissin and huggin on stage
I love em to death and in 8 bars, I'll explain that phrase"

*8 bars later*

"Cole and Aubrey know I'm a selfish the crown is heavy
I pray they my real friends if not I'm YMW Melly"
I loved that he actually explained that eight bars later.

I loved the punch line (my favorite line of the entire battle) I feel like for many people online the bar counting thing overshadowed the punchline itself…

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Euphoria won the poll, but Not Like Us is the only answer among the touched some grass crowd.

Poll ain't over is it?, I'm hoping NLU surpasses it. But I can't put NLU #1 because it's so dumbed down in service of being a bop. MTG is masterful in every way. From the display of hateful disrespect, to the technique, to sound mixing- it's what pure distain sounds like. My man told a kid, that he wishes his grandfather wore a condom… at the opening. Sheesh.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
If it was best diss, I probably wouldve voted something else. But with the poll saying best song, I had to vote NLU. Shit is a bop.

Yeah, if the poll was best diss I'd choose MTG without a second thought. It's a masterclass in lyrical hate, from the strategy to the delivery. But as far as a song I want to hit repeat on, that's NLU.

There's a strong argument to be made for 6:16 In LA though. Not only is it smooth, there is a real ominous vibe to Kendrick warning Drake. Warning of what's to come, warning that he can't even trust his own crew.

Dec 17, 2022
Favorite diss?

I realllllly liked the multileveled Euphoria. I'm a fan of switch-ups and the escalation was masterful.

But then MtG dropped and I was like

IMG-2691.jpg

Haunting beat, fucked up lyrics, like the sequel to Adidon with a hint of Jay-Z's leaving used condoms in Nas' baby's car seat. It felt like a jab but at the same time… it was so right.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
"Oooooo god my confusion is yours! Who am I if I don't go to war."

Underrated line I love the delivery.

Also Rocky's part in family matters is underrated. I think it's a pretty damn solid jab at him.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
It's dumbed down because less technically impressive than every other diss. Not because it's "simple or direct". Still a great song though. Just can't be my #1.

it's more impressive. the third verse of Not Like Us is a rundown of Atlanta's history as a Black Mecca and the thesis of Kendrick's entire beef with Drake's role in the culture. inspired by a single line in Family Matters that came like 12 hours before. in a dance song.

it takes a very narrow view of what is technically impressive to not see that as mastery of the art.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
it's more impressive. the third verse of Not Like Us is a rundown of Atlanta's history as a Black Mecca and the thesis of Kendrick's entire beef with Drake's role in the culture. inspired by a single line in Family Matters that came like 12 hours before. in a dance song.

it takes a very narrow view of what is technically impressive to not see that as mastery of the art.

I think that song is impressive conceptually, as a diss, and in its execution as a club record. As such it's clearly a mastery of the art. I think it takes a special talent to make a song that labels someone a pedo go in the club.

But all of that is different from being technical. It's a bunch of single and double syllable rhymes, largely extreme off-rhymes. Part of mastery is knowing when strict technique is less important than a bunch of other qualities and NLU is a prime example of that. If he was hitting people with quadruple-syllable rhymes, and triple-entendres and wordplay that takes reading genius to understand, the song wouldn't have had the same impact.

So I think you taking it the wrong way when I say it's dumbed-down to be a bop. That's not an insult. He made the song with a purpose and excelled. It's just that for my personal tastes, my #1 song probably isn't going to be one that's tailor made to be a bop.

Last edited:

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

This. That was absolutely the most impressive thing in that song and I guarantee it's what hurt Drake the most. "Prolly A minor" is an all-time one-liner, but that breakdown, followed by, "you not a colleague you a fucking colonizer" is masterful.

Oct 25, 2017
I would have voted Other for 6:16, but can't be associated with those voting for Taylor Made or The Heart 6 so I'm going with Euphoria instead.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to not let you all forget how a good number of you were getting on Kendricks case for taking his time to respond and thinking Drake was doing something with Taylor Made lol. It's funny how the attitude here was before and after Euphoria dropped. Shout outs to the ones who knew what was coming.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Just want to not let you all forget how a good number of you were getting on Kendricks case for taking his time to respond and thinking Drake was doing something with Taylor Made lol. It's funny how the attitude here was before and after Euphoria dropped. Shout outs to the ones who knew what was coming.
Most the clock talk was just shooting the shit.
Also Taylor Made was a decent song/diss with or w/o the AI shit.

OP
OP
Mattmo831

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
I think a lot of it was just us spamming "Kendrick we need ya!!!"

Oct 25, 2017
lol in retrospect it wasn't a bad strat by Drake. I don't believe he is dumb enough to underestimate what Kendrick would be capable of. He had to have known there was a high likelihood he'd get cooked so taking his victory laps when he could plus trying to pressure Kendrick into dropping something half assed and premature was a decent angle to work off of.

And Taylor Made is not a "decent diss" by any stretch. All he does is call him short (again) and call him out for taking so long to drop when Drake had still taken longer to respond to Like That at this point in time. All the TSwift shit talk also backfired in a major way this week. The song is totally irrelevant and laughable to listen to now.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
The way his voice gets louder and more emotional towards the last leg of the track on the Dear Aubrey verse.. goosebumps

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, Sauce Walka torched Drake. Talking about the culture vulture shit he did to houston, acting stuff, etc. "You aint black, you a fucking cambodian ass dude". So to most unbiased ppl Kendrick was gonna win. The only thing I had Drake beating kendrick on was being the one with the hit song coming out of this.

Stop playing with me before I turn ya to a song.....
200w.gif