Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
3L-G5FIHi9GhmWWguDp-RaovQJ73YjOQEiFeQKdlbyw.png

"The Boulet Brothers' Dragula is back for another season of queens, bad dreams and terrifying screams. The fabulously filthy unscripted show gives queens the chance to compete for the title of the world's next great drag super monster. Drag to die for, challenges to cringe at, and drama you can't unsee."

Season 3 begins August 27th, exclusively on Amazon Prime.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
My top 3 is Landon Cider, Evah Destruction and Hollow Eve. Let's see how off I am, seeing that no one was predicting Biqtch to win or get anywhere near the top 3 last season.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm in. I really know nothing about any of the contestants except a few of the names are familiar just seeing them in passing. I'm excited just because S2 was a big step up from S1, and I think they'll do it again.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Not available in Brazil yet, let's see if they'll make it available later on or not.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Only person I knew previously was Evah Destruction. Will be watching this at some point.

B-Dex

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Can't wait for the other exterminations. Pretty good first episode. Although Hollow Eve sounds like a downer sucking the fun energy out of the room.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting first episode, but I'm not feeling the jump in quality and budget that we were promised. I mean, they said the jump would be higher from the second to third season than we had from the first to second season and it's just not that big of a improvement yet.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
So the only way to watch in the US is a prime account?🙄🙄🙄

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest improvement was in the confessionals. They looked SO GOOD now, unlike last season when they still looked occasionally blurry and unevenly lit and the sound was atrocious.
Didn't care for any of the Boulet looks but I like the set of contestants so far. Phi Phi on the panel for a villains episode was phenomenal.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I... don't agree with the tops/bottoms already, lol.

I feel that Yovska should have been top for sure, and Violencia should have been safe. Would have love to see her campier/kookier way of thinking on Dragula.

Also, skydiving seems pretty fun as an extermination. People pay hundreds to do it lol.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I... don't agree with the tops/bottoms already, lol.

I feel that Yovska should have been top for sure, and Violencia should have been safe. Would have love to see her campier/kookier way of thinking on Dragula.

Also, skydiving seems pretty fun as an extermination. People pay hundreds to do it lol.

Honestly, the mini extermination from the beginning of the episode was way harder than the main extermination.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
I don't think I liked any of the looks for the floor-show, unfortunately. There was nothing conceptually interesting about any of them, and nothing that really captured super-villainy in a way that felt evocative or fresh. Even outlier-aesthetics like Yovska felt a little unfocused.

Prior to the show's airing, I checked up on a few performers, so I got the general vibe of what they're selling, and that might be an influencing factor in me not being really blown away (part of being on the show is to showcase your aesthetic, and I suppose you make sure to do that in the first episode, which is understandable).

I was already interested in Evah Destruction prior to the show (she's a fantastic performer; I posted some youtube-examples in the Drag Race thread), and the CBS Arts profile on Yovska made her very endearing. I just lately caught up with Hollow Eve via Disasterina's "My Drag is Valid", and she's interesting too, with a keen eye on aesthetics, so that's the trio I'll be rooting for (at least initially).

(...Maddelynn Hatter seems like a very tedious person.)

Last edited:

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.

Loved watching that one, thanks for mentioning it!

No problem. She comes across as "a little extra" (in a theatre kid/teen-lefty-kind-of-way), but that's understandable, given her non-conventional role in the drag-scene (apart from however she functions personally, at baseline, so to speak). It was interesting to hear her talk about her breasts, and what it would mean to remove them.

I'm not generally drawn to body-mutilation as drag-performance, but I think her whole "package" - which includes a very strong sense of conceptual aesthetic - makes her very compelling.

For what it's worth, I don't find conventional "drag-king drag" interesting because I don't find performative masculinity inherently interesting (I actually quite dislike it, in the way that I think of it as primarily oppressive), even when it's done by an AFAB performer like Landon Cider (who seems quite sweet, and definitely willing to go for it, by eating spiders in the first episode).

So, it's really interesting - at least for me - that this show has room for an AFAB performer who - kinda like canadian Yovska - is more interested in abstract drag.

//I'm using "her" for linguistic convenience, and judging by the "My Drag is Valid" episode, I doubt she would take any offense of me doing so.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really say I like Hollow Eve per sé but the performances and viewpoints they express are so interesting and different from anything else you see on television that I can't help but be fascinated and eager to see what they do next.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Great top 3 this week, boring extermination challenge. Evah better step her pussy up, I'm not impressed so far.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
So happy that my monster survived its extermination. Would be sad to see it go so soon.

Also, Evah is just so hot damnit.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm exterminated person had a lot more to show but they were definitely weaker than the other two and I like those two better so I guess I'm alright with it.
Landon Cider is fucking killing it.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first season of Dragula. My partner and I tried watching S1 but found it unwatchable due to the production values... and the Boulet Brothers.

Three eps into S3. I can't with the student film horror openings and closings and the Boulet Brothers are much too self-serious for this kind of show imo. And the taller one's "hello uglies" in that Marvin the Martian voice... cringefest. I feel like the show would benefit so, so much from dialing their presence way, way back. Alas I don't think that's going to happen.

That said, the contestants are pretty fun and I'm blown away by Langdon Cider. He's killing it and some of his looks and performances are so imaginative and well-executed it's kind of crazy. Rooting for him to take it all.

I can't really say I like Hollow Eve per sé but the performances and viewpoints they express are so interesting and different from anything else you see on television that I can't help but be fascinated and eager to see what they do next.
I agree with this sentiment completely. Not a fan and they seem like a sort of terrible person yet I'm glad they're there and it's super interesting to see them representing on a show like this.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
I don't know if it's because Landis and Eve are so strong already, and clearly so creative, but I feel oddly protective of them as I watch the show, being kinda vigilant towards the other gay boys putting their foot in their mouth.

It's a little difficult to put into words - and my saturday beers don't exactly help - but there is a somewhat analogue situation going on with AFAB-performers/people going into traditionally male-dominated gay/queer spaces that feels very akin to minorities (of any stripe, really) existing in "liberal/woke spaces".

There is, on the one hand this nervous energy of "yes, yes, of course we're all the same, ha-ha-ha! isn't this great? Us all being here and being the same?", and on the other hand, a palpable undercurrent of "ok, let's be real here, you don't belong" and those two strands of thought (one overt and slightly performative, and the other more implied and ambient) constantly crashing into each-other.

It's a little like a queer version of "Get Out", if you want to be elevator-pitchy about it.

The other contestants are probably aware of the larger discussion pertaining to forced segregation/self-selected-segregation within LGBTQ+ spaces, and certainly with this show's habit of sometimes directly commenting on Drag Race, so it wouldn't surprise me if everyone is basically self-moderating, and being on their best behavior.

Hopefully, we'll get some good, earnest workroom-discussions about this in a few episodes, rather than this weak-sauce, basic-bitch reality-show editing this season is currently doing with singling out a mumbled, innocuous comment and struggle-editing it to be something a viewer could ostensibly care about (rather than focusing on the treasure-trove that's right there).

As for episode 2, Landis's vampire-interpretation was the only fresh take, and Eve's was a step above anyone else's in terms of traditional interpretation, execution-wise (attention to detail). Max should have painted his whole body blue; especially because Bitch Puddin did just that in the sci-fi challenge of season 2, and past winners of a "creative reality-show" set the standard "for excellence" whether any individual contest likes it or not.

EDIT: What I do really like about this season though, so far, is that we get a moment with each contestant talking about their design and inspiration for the main challenge. Even with "weak" contestants, it's interesting to get a sense of where they're coming from, and affording them the opportunity to speak freely about their design.

Last edited:

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hollow is probably my favourite to be honest. The needle stuff, staples, it's crazy gross and she's extremely talented in that regard.

Very sad about what happened on the stage though. I don't think who went home deserved to either, I loved their Drag even if they were my least favourite 2nd episode.

My top 3 remains Evah Destruction, Landon Cider and Hollow Eve.

Yeah agreed.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 was supposed to be available today on Amazon Prime, but it's not. It's available on iTunes, though. And guess what, Canada got leaked episodes 5 and 6 today as well.

What a mess.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lmao so 3 episodes are out today by accident in different countries. Damn.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any idea on what's going on with episode 4 in the rest of the world? My boyfriend's getting very annoyed and pissy that it's not up on UK Prime and can't find another way to watch it because he doesn't want to use a VPN and have to fuck around with credit cards and cancelling free trials on OutTVGo. It seems to have been a clusterfuck every single week, like the production team don't understand how to upload things to Amazon correctly.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea on what's going on with episode 4 in the rest of the world? My boyfriend's getting very annoyed and pissy that it's not up on UK Prime and can't find another way to watch it because he doesn't want to use a VPN and have to fuck around with credit cards and cancelling free trials on OutTVGo. It seems to have been a clusterfuck every single week, like the production team don't understand how to upload things to Amazon correctly.

Amazon didn't upload episode 4 yet, people are watching it from buying on iTunes.

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
Man episode 4 was amazing! It was so fun seeing them have fun with that challenge and the top 2 of the episode are for sure my top 2 for the season so far. Priscilla is the heart of the season for me too lol. She's so lovable!!

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved episode 4! Great to see the queens in a different setting. And yessssssss at the end of ep 5-- that pre-extermination meltdown was so embarrassing and hilarious. Delightful!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I didn't like the daytime outdoors look of ep4, it took me out of the fantasy. There was an episode last season where they were outdoors in the desert but it suited what they were doing so I didn't mind the daylight. This felt off to me. I didn't agree with the bottoms either.

EP5 elimination spoilers:
I thought what Hollow Eve brought to the competiton was important and I always liked the point of view and execution of her looks but I was kind of glad to see her go even though I thought she had the better look of the two bottoms because I was tired of hearing her defensive pontifications in the workroom. When she started going off on a diatribe about the word baby I was just rolling my eyes immediately because I knew as soon as she drew breath what it was going to be about.
I would guess she has always had a lot of defending to do irl so I can probably see where it comes from, but that try-hard right-on attitude makes it hard for me to warm to her as a person, her mini-meltdown at the end sealed the deal, and was similar to the rock challenge when she went off stage. I thought she was a bit of a blowhard tbh, which sucks because I loved all her runway looks and what they were trying to say.

Last edited:

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched 5 yet, but I think 4 is probably the single best episode they've done as far as structure, challenge, and use of twists and gimmicks. Not counting finales, I guess.

edit: WOW, 5 was great, too. Show is on fire. Now they just need to find new hosts!

I cringed so much during Hollow's meltdowns. I felt half bad for them on stage even though they were totally out of line, but it's hard to like them the same after they took it out on the rest of the cast backstage. It showed a basic lack of respect for other people. They don't care about making other people feel like shit if it makes them feel better.

Last edited:

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
It's up on the iTunes Store. Last time this happened, it went up on prime a day or two after it hit iTunes. But who knows. They fucked up this season bad.

OP
OP
Shizuka

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that today's episode was uploaded two weeks ago on Out TV for a whole day and despite contestant placements been spoiled, no one got it recorded and shared it online.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched Ep. 6.

It's kinda sad how the Elimination just doesn't mean anything now. They just decide to eliminate whoever they want in the bottom.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Landon wins it, though his makeup shading always reminds me of Handsome Jack. Or I've been playing too much Borderlands recently. :)