digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to put this out there since there seems to be a lot of misinformation about this one:

It looks amazing. Can't believe it's a 15 year old game.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Ah if only they got HDR into this too, guess it was from before it was a thing. Game looks stellar on Pro too.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I picked up the first on Switch, but I'll probably cop this version on a rainy Sunday.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing all weekend on X and it's glorious. Increased FOV and flashlight shadows had no noticeable effect on performance. If it's been years since you've played it, do yourself a favor and get it! It's so much better than I remember.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope a game from 2004 could run at that FPS/Res.
I would hope so considering that Doom 2016 is capable of hitting 4K 60FPS albeit in a dynamic type setup.

Many games of this nature receive no enhancements on the X / PS4 Pro, so it's newsworthy, especially when it hasn't officially been advertised as enhanced in any way.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
fuck i bought the trilogy on Switch as soon as it was announced. might do it again on Xbox for the achievements and to see what Doom 3 looks like in 4K. I get that it's not going to be the most impressive-looking thing out there, but being there back when Doom 3 originally launched and the "there isn't a computer that exists that can run it at max-settings" hype, I will always have a soft spot to see how it looks on any platform it comes out on.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've grown to prefer 1080p 120fps over 4K 60fps, it's half the fill rate too so would be cool if it supported that. I *think* Doom 2016 does on X1X along with Battlefield 1.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's always nice to see ports of old games being enhanced to use the hardware capabilities of modern machines.

I hate lazy ports. Can't however see myself playing Doom 3 with anything but a good mouse and keyboard.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Is this such a big surpise for a 15 year old game ?
I'd be amazed if it wasn't 4K/60 on the X.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Is this such a big surpise for a 15 year old game ?
I'd be amazed if it wasn't 4K/60 on the X.
The game was always poorly optimized. Here's GTX 1080 Ti sometimes even dipping below 60fps:

Either it's not running at max settings on the X, dynamic resolution or just optimized better than on PC.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doom 3 graphics was outstanding for its time and it still looks good, but it shouldn't be that strange if it can be run 4K/60fps on PS4 Pro, let alone X1X.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Wait...what? Are we talking about the BFG-Edition or the OG Xbox-game?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The game was always poorly optimized. Here's GTX 1080 Ti sometimes even dipping below 60fps:

Either it's not running at max settings on the X, dynamic resolution or just optimized better than on PC.

Poorly optimised? Huh? It runs amazing on anything.

Just because someone turns on 16X AA in game like in that video (which is obscene as it actually super samples in the NV driver under OGL at 16x MSAA), does not mean the game is poorly optimised at all.
8X MSAA + 4K will be an easy 60 fps on that GPU

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Just because someone turns on 16X AA in game like in that video (which is obscene as it actually super samples in the NV driver under OGL at 16x MSAA), does not mean the game is poorly optimised at all.
My pet peeve is when people turn on super high MSAA at 4K then cry it's "unoptimised" it's something a lot of people do lol.

But yeah i was gonna say Doom 3 on OG Xbox was the best looking console title of gen 6 imo, so it's cool to see it on 4K/60fps on XBX. i love how many people are appreciating Doom 3's visuals, even if the gameplay isn't so amazing.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Are any of you guys going to do a video on this release?

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019

Yes, John mentioned that they will cover it, just that since it released as a surprise launch, they were rather busy covering Wolfie Youngblood instead. You should expect a video covering this within the week I'd say.

My man, one does not pretend a game is poorly optimized when it cannot maintain 4K60 100% of the time at freaking 16x AA. Even in this very specific video you just posted, does it really even dip below 60fps? I couldn't find the instance where it does.

BFG edition runs stellar on pretty much everything.

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
He's working through Doom 3 right now. He's even tried it on different screens and talking about how much it benefits from OLED blacks make it even better than it was on the CRT monitors of it's time.

I encourage you all to follow Dark1x on twitter if you want to have a glimpse on stuff he might be working on and show him some first-hand support.

Too bad the game is so scary. Been trying to play it since it first came out :(

The game originally came out in Spain on my birthday and I haven't managed to beat it yet because I can't handle horror since I was gifted it on that day.

May 18, 2018
So its commented by Dark1x that it performs like this on X1X but not a slither of a comment about Ps4 Pro?

Interesting.... probably not had time to try the Ps4 Pro version and literally just owns the X1X version. Cool.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fact that its possible surprises nobody. Still it takes developer effort to make it happen, and not all developers would put in that effort.
Yep. It seems like the folks that did the port job did good work (except for the stupid online thing, but it seems like Bethesda is to blame for that)