• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
e8R5nkz.jpg

OpenCritic - 84

Metacritic - 86

IGN - 9.0
The new Funky Mode for Tropical Freeze on Switch makes it more approachable without turning this amazing platformer into a cakewalk.

Gamespot - 9.0
Tropical Freeze isn't a heavy-hitter from Nintendo in the same way Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey are, but it's a fantastic platformer that's bursting with creativity and expertly designed challenges. It's tuned just right--always tough but rarely frustrating--to ensure that even the most common moments feel great. If you missed out when the game first debuted back in 2014, give it a shot today. It easily stands the test of time.

Venturebeat - 8.9
But if you consider old-school platformers like Donkey Kong Country to be pinnacles of a nearly forgotten art form, Tropical Freeze is a game you need to experience. Having played many subpar platform games over the years (including certain uninspired 2D Mario titles), it's a joy to experience a game where the developers obviously had so much love for their levels and characters. Their passion shines through from beginning to end.

The only question is whether you have the necessary skill to explore everything without some Funky assistance.

Gameinformer - 9.25
The Switch version reaffirms that Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a fantastic platformer. Having a new character control and a handheld version of the game is great for previous owners, but the real audience is those who missed the original release.

Destructoid
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a platformer that needs to be experienced by as many people as possible. Whether that's through a $10 used version of the Nintendo Selects Wii U edition or this unfortunately priced Switch edition with skippable, but ultimately tame new content is up to you.

ShackNews - 7.0
Tropical Freeze isn't perfect by any means, but having run through it a second time, I feel like it's aged well in the last four years. The challenge can be soul-crushing, but it's satisfying to finally make it across that one jump or beat that one boss. There are enough tools available to make the journey a little bit easier this time around, but not so much to completely diminish the challenge outright.

Tropical Freeze won't stand with the all-time great DKC games, but it's a perfectly fun romp through Donkey Kong's island in its own right.

Vooks - 9.0
Tropical Freeze is a pinnacle of modern 2D platform games, offering an immense challenge while improving on the original, much revered original trilogy. Funky Kong's inclusion is clearly well-intentioned. If you know you'll need it, Funky is a fantastic way to open the game to new audiences who might have bounced off the game's difficulty.

God is a Geek - 8.0
Tropical Freeze has been given a new life on the Switch. The huge improvements to load times and resolution bump ensure newcomers will get the definitive experience of one of the best platformers out there but I still think there isn't enough to warrant a day one purchase for people who already experienced this game.

Trusted Reviews - 5.0
Considering all the amazing Wii U games still yet to come to the Nintendo Switch, I could have happily seen Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze moved much further back in the queue. It's simply an average 2D platformer that doesn't deliver the level of fun or excitement you'd expect from a Nintendo-exclusive title – particularly one featuring some of the company's most iconic mascots.

Easy Allies - 9.5

GameXplain - Loved it

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
GOAT is still GOAT, who is surprised

also, you forgot the F in the title

edit: bonus also: look at what happens when you don't have Tom "I don't know what I'm doing and hate everything" McShea review a game, GameSpot

edit2: misremembered, it was his ultra bad preview, not the review

Last edited:

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
Nintendo Insider - 9

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was and still is a fantastic 2D platformer. It looks and sounds brilliant and plays just as well, constantly surprising you with new and creative ideas throughout its six-island quest. This may have been my second time playing through the Retro Studios platformer but I enjoyed every moment despite a disappointing lack of new content. And if you never got the chance to check out the big ape's icy adventure back on Wii U then this Switch version is an absolute must.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOAT is still GOAT, who is surprised

also, you forgot the F in the title

edit: bonus also: look at what happens when you don't have Tom "I don't know what I'm doing and hate everything" McShea review a game, GameSpot
That's really weird, cause Tom McShea never reviewed Tropical Freeze :thinking:

Nov 27, 2017
Looking forward to this. Got it on wii u for coop with the boy but was a bit hard for him so I put it on hold meaning to go back since I'm a huge dkc fan. Wii u disc drive stopped working so can't play it now. Will pick it up on Friday, kinda annoyed since I got roped into buying poker tournament yesterday for 45 quid, when I knew I'd be picking this up aswell.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tropical Freeze isn't a heavy-hitter from Nintendo in the same way Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey are
I'm not sure how they're using the word "heavy-hitter" here but Tropical Freeze is much better than Odyssey by several factors, and could even be argued is better than BotW. Unless heavy-hitter refers to sales potential, but why would a reader of a review give a shit about that?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Trusted Reviews giving it 5/10

Cons
  • Mechanics offer no sense of flow
  • Limits the controls at the expense of the experience
  • Unfairly difficult
  • Nowhere near as fun to play as it should be
What even is this? :O

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here is Michael Huber back at Gametrailers while describing how he felt while playing:

1465759116765.gif

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
WOW! Great reviews.

I have no doubts that the executives at Namco Bandai will be reading these while feeling justified in their decision to delay Dark Souls Switch.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Tropical Freeze is easily one of the tightest platformers of all time. Cannot wait till Friday.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Cons
  • Unfairly difficult
I'm just assuming that the person who wrote that has never played or enjoyed a 2D platformer that wasn't literally a Mario game. As though they can't wrap their heads around a platformer that breaks that mold.

"Mechanics offer no sense of flow."

That string of words was just used to describe Tropical Freeze. Absolute nonsense. Words written by a player who genuinely does not know what they're talking about.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Member has been warned: bait post intended to derail thread and rile up members.
We need to go lower. Review journalists are still big Nintendo fanboys.

Edit: It was a joke.

Last edited:

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
What a turnaround from Gamespot!
unknown.png

tenor.gif

Yea yea yea, different reviewers, just joking around, don't go pitchforking.

Hence me not liking game review sites.

Cons
  • Unfairly difficult

Seems like the review is trying too hard to justify not liking the game lol.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i don't care about reviews and respect people's opinions but how someone could play TF and say it has dull level design or no flow is beyond me.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, I'm speechless about the Trusted Review-review.

I dont care that the person does not like the game. But it's definately sounds like the person did not actually play the game at all.
How one can come up with some of the conclusions he does is baffling.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm speechless about the Trusted Review-review.

I dont care that the person does not like the game. But it's definately sounds like the person did not actually play the game at all.
How one can come up with some of the conclusions he does is baffling.
It reads like they just found the game too hard then came up with reasons to bash it because they weren't any good at it.

It barely takes a paragraph before they launch into being punished for choosing a hard difficulty and it's a theme that recurs throughout.