• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
BotW's strength is not in any one feature. It's in the execution and design of how everything flows together. It's not something other devs can simply copy/paste into their own games.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
TF has more than 60 levels (many of them pretty lengthy), and the great majority are stuffed with unique art assets and backed by unique music. Reducing the price because of a perceived lack of content when compared to its contemporaries would be baffling to me. The game feels fully complete and high quality throughout.

Like it or not that's how a lot of people perceive value in games.

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/42574278 around 4 hours, 8 min mark. Pretty sure this is the one you mean.

Yes! That's the one. Thank you.

In addition to being unskilled and not using the game mechanics well, (which is whatever, some people aren't as good at games then others) watching him play highlights the opposite of what he's claiming. During the choppers part you can always see 2 conveyor belts ahead so you not only know what the pattern of the one you're about to jump on is, but the one after that as well. There's a long enough pause between strikes that you can sit on the one you just landed and clearly survey what the next couple conveyor belts are going to be too. All of the unique map mechanics are introduced in a relatively safe environment before getting ramped up. The pumpkin propeller part is pretty easy to get first try. Before you even jump on the first platform it's really easily telegraphed that they spawn a bit after you see chunks on the bottom in the gears. Even the part where it doubles back can still be gotten first try if you have Dixie/Diddy and use their hover abilities and jump late as the platform that continues forward will spawn underneath you. (Which is likely what you would do if you're confused and don't know where the next platform is) Additionally the backwards platform can actually be seen from the ledge right next to where they are so you can observe that before you even start jumping. The only really sketchy part is when it doubles back when the giant gears are chasing you, because it establishes that time is of the essence and then has you move backwards to live.

Well said. As with the whole hubbub over the Cuphead/pigeon video last year, the issue isn't really that reviewers are bad at games; everybody's bad at something, and there's a market for casual dabblers who write for an audience of other dabblers, cost-conscious about their limited purchases. The issue is that some of them are just flagrantly bad at learning. They don't regard themselves as people who should have to learn, and prematurely blame the game—mis-assessing it for all their readers in the process—instead of taking responsibility for personal limitations that even children know how to surmount. There's no shame in being a floundering novice player who takes stock of their own ability, adapts to the signs and patterns by which one "reads" a game, and improves. But failing at pattern recognition and complaining loudly about it when the evidence of fairness and clarity is right there for everyone else to see—well, that tells me a lot more about the player than about the game.

NSMBU/Luigi u, 3d world, wooly world, starfox zero without motion controls, color splash, w101, WW and TP hd, xbx. I could see them porting some or all of those.

At risk of dragging this off-topic: I know you mean well, and I'd love to see a ton of ports myself, but it makes me sad to see people actively ask for Star Fox Zero to be gutted to the point where it really would just be a pale retread of SF64. There's a case to be made that maybe the dual-screen precision targeting was a bridge too far for many players, and could be rendered more accessibly in a potential port with a single-screen focus/targeting overlay (like in Rogue Squadron II), but that's not at all a problem with motion controls. And it pains me to see Zero so misunderstood when it's a game that is all about learning and mastering new toys in the familiar framework of the Star Fox format, as it's so rewarding when it clicks, something that most players apparently never experienced. It's an attention-management game at its core, like the dogfighting equivalent of an RTS, and there's honestly nothing like it once you get what it's doing.

Not that it will happen, given the hard separation of the Labo brand from everything else, but if Star Fox Zero ever receives a Switch port, I'd actually want it to take the form of a Labo set. It's a better fit than anything else I can think of, and perhaps that would entice players to go in with the right mindset for the game: that at its heart, it's a remote-control vehicle variety kit. Nothing reminded me more strongly of Star Fox Zero than the Labo robot. This isn't even a case like Skyward Sword where there's a familiar Zelda format with some outstanding dungeon designs to be experienced with or without the motion controls (although I think Nintendo should stick to their guns there too). A gutted Star Fox Zero, the way that its detractors imagine a 64-like port to be, would be a substantially worse and less interesting game than it is.

I've said all that before and would be happy to hash it out elsewhere, of course. DKCTF had the good fortune of being the easiest no-brainer of a port there was, and I regard it as a missed opportunity that we're not getting DKCR HD alongside it (packed in or not), as that's a game where the waggle of the original release really was extraneous. And it would be nice to see that game make a comeback in a more appealing frame (and with better controller hardware) than the expanded port on the 3DS.

Last edited:

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we all agree DK:TF was a $60 value game on the Wii U anyways. Nintendo was feeling apologetic at the time.

This game on the most powerful portable console ever? They should charge $70 tbh. That's a killer app for a powerful portable!

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I think we all agree DK:TF was a $60 value game on the Wii U anyways. Nintendo was feeling apologetic at the time.

This game on the most powerful portable console ever? They should charge $70 tbh. That's a killer app for a powerful portable!

anigifdrrdd.gif

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
wasn't this a "Nintendo Selects" in the US??

here in germany, the WiiU game costs 19.99 euros in stores right now, you can go and buy it today

if they charge 59.99 here I want to see how that goes.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but since I got the game on Wii U (and cheaper than that I won't pay 60 euro for this. And I liked the game a lot.

Last edited:

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
When will the Wii U owners realise this release (and other ports) is not for them? The game might as well be an entirely new release for much of the gaming population. I have no issues paying 60 for a game I, and many, many others, have never played nor even shown an interest in three years ago.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
When will the Wii U owners realise this release (and other ports) is not for them? The game might as well be an entirely new release for much of the gaming population. I have no issues paying 60 for a game I, and many, many others, have never played nor even shown an interest in three years ago.

Yeah, fuck those consumers who were with you in the hard times when your console just barely surpassed Dreamcast numbers. Sell to the bandwagon baby!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
TMS also is a relitively simple port compared to something like Starfox Zero who's controls would need to be rebuilt for the Switch ect. Its turn based gameplay means that even a low effort port wont really create any gameplay issues like more action orientated titles.

I wonder about TMS. I don't actually agree that it is that simple. The biggest hurdle the game still has to get over is they would still need to make an English dub for the game, which with all the songs sung by the JP voice actors, might be tough to replicate (though there are of course talented actors who could do that, such as Pauline's from Mario odyssey).

Without an English dub, they might as well not bother. It's not going to sell anywhere near the amount Xenoblade did, and probably not going to be worth it. They kinda got away with it on Wii U because by the time it released, it was going to be largely a flop regardless.

Oct 25, 2017

It definitely bears emphasizing that the issues with the pricing are issues for those considering a double-dip, not first-timers. I would actually highly encourage any first-timers to pay $60 even though that is above the original MSRP on Wii U. Taking DKCTF from scratch all the way to 200%, which is where it truly shines, is a 50-to-60-hour experience on its own; it's one of the fullest platforming experiences around even before you consider the quality of the design, which is phenomenal. And that's without even mentioning the built-in speed-run features, though it remains to be seen whether the video sharing and world record observing features come back, as they were formerly Miiverse-based.

For those who already completed the hell out of the game and aren't about to chase speed records, it's probably not worth a repurchase at full price, no. And it's too bad console generations don't play by the PC model of buy-once forward compatibility. But this is a dilemma for the Wii U owners alone. For the player considering DKCTF for the first time, it is unquestionably worth full price, and then some.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry if our opinions upset you. We are still free to express them though. A price being proper or too big is anyhow a subjective thing.

Torres

Oct 29, 2017
Can they fix the minecart/rocket sections where the perspective shifts and it's hard to see where hazards transition from the background to the area of play pls that was annoying

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I wonder about TMS. I don't actually agree that it is that simple. The biggest hurdle the game still has to get over is they would still need to make an English dub for the game, which with all the songs sung by the JP voice actors, might be tough to replicate (though there are of course talented actors who could do that, such as Pauline's from Mario odyssey).

Without an English dub, they might as well not bother. It's not going to sell anywhere near the amount Xenoblade did, and probably not going to be worth it. They kinda got away with it on Wii U because by the time it released, it was going to be largely a flop regardless.

Yakuza 0 did pretty well in the west without an english dub and thats obviously not an issue in Japan. Given the preference of many hardcore JRPG players to experience Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with the japanese audio and Nintendo of America heavily featuring the japanese audio in XC2s advertising.

Tokyo Mirrage Sessions for the switch wouldn't need to do huge numbers. A cheap/fast port wouldn't cost all that much and would be profitable at low sales numbers. Meanwhile it would build a lot of consumer good will as a "cult classic" exclusive.

SuperNerd3000

Oct 25, 2017
Would it be advisable to change my God Of War pre-order for Tropical Freeze?

The Switch is giving me access to franchises & games I've missed out in the past being away from Nintendo for a while.

Never owned TF for Wii U but wondering if a re-release is even worth $60, keep God of War, or maybe even get something else this spring?

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry if our opinions upset you. We are still free to express them though. A price being proper or too big is anyhow a subjective thing.

Just as I am free to express mine? Where did I tell you to shut up? And where in the hell do you find that I am upset? At defending Nintendo for pricing their game at 60 USD? Warped.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be advisable to change my God Of War pre-order for Tropical Freeze?

The Switch is giving me access to franchises & games I've missed out in the past being away from Nintendo for a while.

Never owned TF for Wii U but wondering if a re-release is even worth $60, keep God of War, or maybe even get something else this spring?

It's hard to answer a question like this before playing God of War.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Are people really expecting Nintendo to charge something other than full price? This is the same company that's still selling Mario Kart 7 and New Super Mario Bros 2 at full price well after the 3DS boom. I give it two years or so before DKCTF gets a price cut.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Just as I am free to express mine? Where did I tell you to shut up? And where in the hell do you find that I am upset? At defending Nintendo for pricing their game at 60 USD? Warped.

You chose to address the Wii U owners instead of just expressing your opinion about price.

"When will the Wii U owners realise this release (and other ports) is not for them?" might not be a direct "shut up" but it's pretty close.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this game for my son on the Wii U, which we no longer have.

I've never played it, but I won't be buying it at that price. I think they could have gotten a lot more sales if they priced it as a re-release and not a new game. What a shame. Oh well.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of ports in the history of gaming have been "new" games. It's only with the Switch I've seen this excuse thrown around to defend the high prices.

Fun fact, WWHD and TPHD were budget releases on Wii U - ports (with significantly more work put into them than DKTF, even if TPHD forgot to retexture a certain bed) that would have been new games for many, in WW's case, it was a game on Nintendo's previously worst selling home console.

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only have one grip with DKC Returns and DK TF : the "B bounce back".

Since Super Mario Bros. (or maybe even before ?), holding the B button while jumping on top of an ennemy makes you bounce back higher. Almost every plateformer kept this, even Donkey Kong Country Trilogy did it.

Then, in November 2010, DKC Returns took a big dump on this trope. Now you have to press B just after you've hit the ennemy to bounce back higher. And DKC TF kept the same thing.

W.H.Y. ?

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Mario Kart 8's Switch version comes with substantially more content than its Wii U version (which never went down in price) yet retailed at the same MSRP.
Mario Kart 8 for the WiiU also gave people a free game for ~2 months.

I can see people being upset at price but honestly you're not entitled to a cheap entertainment product.

All you can do is say it's too high for me and not buy it. (Which is what I'll do).
[...]
The free market will decide whether full price was right decision.
This.

It's $10 more than the game was originally....not to mention it's been $20 on the wii u as a select for a few years. There was just a full on remake of SotC that came out for $40.
SOTC is cheaper but will likely sell far worse, that's just sensible pricing on Sony's part if you ask me.

Lots of ports in the history of gaming have been "new" games. It's only with the Switch I've seen this excuse thrown around to defend the high prices.
And only videogame fans expect or even worse demand cheap prices on "old" games, as if being older implied being a lesser one (ugh :-\), so?

Now, I understand this is due to people having long become accustomed to the industry vicious (and somehow self-destructing IMHO) cycle of having an extremely limited shelf life for *a lot* of their games, but still... Nintendo has been actively fighting this perception, and I fully agree with them, at least with games worth playing like this one i.e. high quality ones.

Also, please consider the Switch is an extremely successful platform, so I don't really believe mentioning the two Zelda HD remasters is a proper comparison due to the WiiU huge failure (see above Nintendo giving a free game away with one of their major selling IP, that really shows how much they were desperate at the time - none of this applies now)

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why people are bringing up the success of the Wii U. DKCTF sold over a million worldwide and made its money back. It is four years old and was a Nintendo Selects game. They priced it at $20 and this one is $40 more expensive with minimal improvements and additions. You can rationalize it all you want, out of all of Nintendo's Switch ports, this compares the worst to the original release.

A port of Donkey Kong Country Returns would go a long way to fix that and it wouldn't even require that much work since the game looks beautiful on Dolphin already.

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably important to consider that more people own a Switch compared to Wii U.

Exactly....there are many of us out there that skipped the Wii U, that now have a Switch. I will gladly pay $60 for a new DK game because i didn't get to play this when it first came out. I hope they do the same and release Super Mario 3D World as well and i will eat that up too!!!

Oct 28, 2017
I have the game pre-preordered and I am really excited about it because it's the last Wii U game I was really wanting to play.

For me the extra $10 is worth retroactively justifying my decision to never buy a Wii U.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Trolling + System Wars - Please do not come into a thread just to insult its participants or a fanbase.
This thread just highlights that Nintendo fans are fucking weird. "Please Nintendo, screw me harder. All these unique assets, I should pay double just to support you! Please re-release Mario 1 for $20 too so I can support you, you need my support"

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
This thread just highlights that Nintendo fans are fucking weird. "Please Nintendo, screw me harder. All these unique assets, I should pay double just to support you! Please re-release Mario 1 for $20 too so I can support you, you need my support"
In a gaming landscape where full-on SOTC and Crash 1-3 remakes retail for $40, Nintendo is certainly an odd duck.

But that's on them, not their fans. Clearly the majority think they've misread the market.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are more reasonable ways to share your thoughts on a subject.

ehhh. Why?

Nintendo are price gouging to fuck, I'm not happy about it. Expressing my annoyance with my tongue in cheek rather than a simple "get fucked Nintendo".

The Ninty hardcore insistence on paying out the arse for old games is super weird. I can't think of another way to put it.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/42574278 around 4 hours, 8 min mark. Pretty sure this is the one you mean.
This is exactly why this game didn't get the high scores it deserved.
Just like gamespot the reviewers are not even looking carefully at what they are playing.
They are literally playing through the entire game looking for any issues blindly ignoring the fact that the issues they mention are not valid..
He is constantly saying the game is random and purely memory based but is consistently ignoring the fact that each platform gives you ample notification and tells you exactly where they will appear, he just never stops to realise this or doesn't want to.