WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My kid messed with our radio on a restroom break on a trip. And some disembodied voice asked another vapidity if Trump had any chance with Swifties. Yes was the answer, because his ear got hurt.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did it actually though. I honestly don't think it did anything for him aside from reinforcing his base

If anything I think this event stress tested Trump's ceiling with independents and his base, and it didn't budge much. In fact it just reinforced that Trump's polling has a hard cap.

Like 2020, this election is all about turnout and excitement. Very few are going to be convinced to switch from Harris to Trump or Trump to Harris, but there are plenty to be convinced just to show up to vote at all.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Pictures from a meeting between him and Netenyahu are doing the rounds at the minute, without the ear bandage. And it looks... Fine?

(TMZ was the main source of pics, but... TMZ. So here's a politico link with video: https://www.politico.com/news/2024/...-s-visit-with-a-meeting-to-woo-trump-00171468)

Even right after the shot you see blood but you couldn't really see any damage to the shape of his ear, so I doubt it was anything more than a really minor graze.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

What's he get angry at?

Even right after the shot you see blood but you couldn't really see any damage to the shape of his ear, so I doubt it was anything more than a really minor graze.

It's been speculated that it was a piece of glass so bullet probably struck something and the glass cut his ear which would be a pretty small cut but bleed like a motherfucker for a few minutes.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Suspected Trump gunman was spotted more than an hour before shooting, FBI says

-Police noticed the Pennsylvania man who tried to assassinate Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump more than an hour before the July 13 shooting, an FBI official said on Monday.

A local police officer identified the shooter about an hour before Trump spoke that day and took a photo, the official said.
During Monday's briefing, FBI officials said they had yet to identify a motive for Thomas Crooks, the 20-year-old gunman who was shot dead by a Secret Service agent after opening fire.
But they said he had conducted online searches into prior mass shooting events, improvised explosive devices and the attempted assassination of the Slovakian prime minister in May.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018

CRDYbFrWcAAohQA.jpg

Bionic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see this thread, I have a split second where I wonder if he got shot in the ear again at a different rally.

Honest question: What is the point of a "victim interview" in this case?
Collecting information from the victim of a crime is one of the steps in investigating it. Skipping steps in an investigation doesn't sound like a good idea to me, even if the information from the victim is likely to be unreliable.

Oct 30, 2017
Wild how in the modern media cycle an actual assassination attempt with a bloodied candidate just evaporates in... What, two weeks? I don't even remember when it happened now.

Wild how in the modern media cycle an actual assassination attempt with a bloodied candidate just evaporates in... What, two weeks? I don't even remember when it happened now.
Like I'd said earlier I subscribe to the Trump Chaos theory.

He's made his own brand carnival insanity and his evens surreal horror houses of nonsense.

We just saw this tested because someone shot at him at him in the environment he created and nobody raised an eyebrow.

Jan 23, 2024

As strange as it sounds the whole situation was too boring and straightforward for it to remain in the zeitgeist. The perpetrator was not politically motivated, just crazy, and the ear wound was extremely minor. The incident was straightforward enough that there wasn't any mystery left to uncover, or any political ambiguity that was to be debated, just "this happened", everyone went "wow that happened", and then just moved on to the next thing which was Biden dropping out which has had a much bigger impact on the race.

It was obviously still a tragedy because of the bystanders that got killed, however.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of people are numb to all the chaos that follows Trump everywhere. It's just too much and too overwhelming and none of it is normal. People just can't digest it all.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

That's the problem with gun violence, isn't it? Like a mass shooting, it's a story but only for a little while and then it isn't. The fact it's so commonplace really numbed the public it happened to a former President who is on an international hitlist by the Iranians. It's being treated as a security failure, as is a great deal of "the good guy with a gun" stories tend to unfold when there's lots of people and cameras showing the mistakes.

If the shooter was that Pakistani who was alleged to be working on behalf of the Iranians, I think this would be a deeper, more serious story. But "crazy American with a firearm" describes most shootings in every state in America, so it's something you hear traveling to or from work and go about your day. It's alarming how cold it all is because it's so normalized as an event.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think it's the media cycle. There's just no profit in it for anyone. Dems don't want to talk about it because it helps promote sympathy or strength for Don, and Repubs don't want to talk about one of their own trying an assassination.

No talking heads to drum it up means not much of a news cycle.

I get the surprise but it will be a non-event except as a footnote.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's the media cycle. There's just no profit in it for anyone. Dems don't want to talk about it because it helps promote sympathy or strength for Don, and Repubs don't want to talk about one of their own trying an assassination.

No talking heads to drum it up means not much of a news cycle.

I get the surprise but it will be a non-event except as a footnote.
Really, the reason it disappeared so quick is that Trump is Trump. He was never going to give a big speech about how we have problems as a society and we need to come together to solve them, that our divisions have been so exacerbated by political extremists and opportunists that we're unable to do the basic work of government let alone have an adult conversation about the big problems we face, and, if I'm being honest, it's hard for the media to talk about those things in relation to this shooting because Trump has had a very large hand in fomenting the culture that created the shooter in the first place and if they tried to talk about that they'd just get savaged by the right for victim blaming and nobody would listen and it would all just get worse and worse.

So there's really not much to do other than move on.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
You mean the moment that sealed the election and doomed us to ten more years of Trump?! But HOW?! He was so strong and badass???

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The story vanished quickly because Trump can't really use any part of it to spin into his agenda beyond trying for sympathy (lol) and the most vague of "I nearly died for all of you" empty platitudes.

Can't rally against the Radical Left for trying to take him out since by all accounts, the guy was very conservative and Trump was a target of opportunity more than one of ideology. Can't use it to make a point about gun violence since he leads the party that opposes all forms of common sense gun access reforms. Can't make any point about mental health because he leads the party that doesn't give a fuck about mental health in general and would oppose any sort of proposal to make such care more accessible. Can't make a point about a wider rise in violent culture because he actively stumps for violence in his own rhetoric.

About the only thing he could do is throw the security setup under the bus, which has somewhat been going on, but unless he wants to try and claim that the Secret Service was setting up to get him killed intentionally, there's nothing there to really help him from an electoral standpoint. Even the fact that he's physically completely fine means there's no visual symbol for him to draw on other than the raised fist photo, and they've been using that in the tackiest ways possible. The whole thing was just an unfortunate waste of lives.