• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, this video got my wife in trouble at work because she was laughing out loud. That was so be our dog

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I am not surprised. Most people i know with dogs seem to think that their dogs would protect them, but all their dogs are all bark and no bite. I am pretty sure my black lab wouldn't do shit in this situation either and would probably follow the lead of the first dog in the video and nope the fuck out of there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude what the fuck

The most outrageous thing in that video was the full blown MAKE OUT sessions with their dog

I thought the meme was a joke but what the hell?!?! Dogs lick their fucking assholes!

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
My friend, whom my dogs had never met went in the house when we were doing a car repair outside. I was on the phone and he went in to go to the bathroom without even thinking about it.

My wife was taking a nap in the bedroom and both my dogs, stood in the hallway between the door to the bedroom and my friend, hair up and just growled (100lbs dog and 80lb dog) and wouldn't let him go down the hallway. It woke my wife up and as soon as she came out and said, "Oh hi!" they were fine and gave him licks and snuggles.

Not saying my dogs would attack (and I really don't want them to), but I'm fairly confident they'd protect us.

This is so true big Dogs are very different when they are truly aggressive, they don't jump around and bark. They hold their ground, hair on end and growl, there is no mistaking a big Dog when he he says cross that line and we are going to go.

PerilousInJ

Oct 25, 2017
My dog immediately runs to the door whenever she suspects someone is coming in, I wonder if a test like this would even work on a dog who is basically aggressive to anyone at the door until proven to be myself or my wife.

Deleted member 2913

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have a scar on my lower back from when I was a kid, we had a Chihuahua and he was so attached to my sister, we were play fighting and the little fucker came behind me and lunged at my back and took a small chunk out. He wouldn't let anyone near her and wouldn't let anyone pick him up besides her.

RIP Spike, at least I still have a part of you with me still. I loved that dog, he became hell of a lot nicer in his older years though but I'm sure he woulda guarded my sister with his life.

:(

Nov 2, 2017
I don't see how the situations are comparable. I'm no animal/dog expert, but I feel confident that having two dogs as opposed to one, will effect the outcome of the circumstances.

That said, the first two videos are slightly depressing, considering that a lot of people would risk their lives for their animals. Just goes to show that people don't understand pets/animals the way they like to think they do (ironic, considering my initial statements, I know).

Last edited:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'm totally not surprised the terrier (mix?) was guarding her. Those guys are tenacious little dogs. My dog is a roughhouser when she plays and I have yet to see a terrier not keep up with her despite her being three times their size. They keep her in her place (and she will get a little bullyish if a dog is too meek).

And yeah, raspberry to all you talking about ferocious pit bulls. They are overall in general sweet dogs and many don't have a mean bone in their body. Hell my dog usually ends up being a little too bullyish with them (mine is mostly husky with 1/8 Pom and 1/8 rat terrier).

I'm pretty sure my dog would hide behind me if an intruder came in. The one time she was scared of some one (a kid and I have no idea why) she hid behind me while barking at him. And the very few times she's gotten spooked in the house (by who knows what) she runs to the opposite corner of whatever direction she is focusing her attention on.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

"Inside edition"

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
The face licking was too much.

But also I wonder how much of this is related to training - too much training I mean. If you train your dog to stop barking at strangers and to stay put, basically to remove their protective and possessive instincts they will be less likely to protect you in a situation like this.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm couple thoughts:

-some dog breeds make better guard dogs than others. It could also boil down to the invididual dog, ie some are scaredy cats, some are brave, etc
-would dogs be able to discern from the owner's voice whether they're in actual distress or just pretending?
-the whole experiment seemed a little silly to me

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure the dogs were really buying the attacks. The first one looked scared. The second one looked curious but then when the owner yelled her name she jumped down like she thought he was scolding her. The one who was jumping up on the robber was wagging his tail like he thought he was playing.

I think a lot of has to do with how the owner reacts. If the owner cowers or runs from a threat then the dog will too. If the owner fights back then the dog is more likely to jump in.

Oct 30, 2017
When I had dogs growing up, I'd kiss'em on the forehead and stuff but that mouth shit is A-1 disgusto-barfo

Also, the only way my cat may defend my house during a robbery is if the robber showed up with another cat in tow.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Dog licking human face is disguisting for you guys? What?

I mean, maybe this one is a bit too much (with the lips). But dogs have clean mouths. Like cats. So unless a dog ate shit hour ago, it's fine. Trust me.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with Americans kissing their dogs or whatever? Every time I see a video about Americans and dogs, there's scenes of them kissing their dogs on the mouth, is that a cultural thing?

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I don't know why but I'm still laughing thinking about the first dog leaving the house like that and the guy French kissing his dog.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't shocking. None of these dogs are trained to attack humans (rightfully), so of course they would panic.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck trying to rob my place. Got a Giant Schnauzer and Blue Heeler. People who owns these dogs know they are great guard dogs.

Strangely they dislike leaving the house to go wander.

Romars2021

Nov 1, 2017
Michael dabruso is fucking cool name is my takeaway.
And goddamn stop making out with your dogs people.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now try it with cats

Spoiler alert rip cat owners
You say that, but I have two dogs and two cats and I know one of the cats would absolutely wreck shop if somebody came in and meant us harm. He has defended the other cat from our dogs when he thought they might be hurting him, and he's even stood up to ME when I accidentally stepped on the other cat's paw, as well as this one time when I was "play wrestling" with the other cat and making noises sort of like you would make with a small child as if you were attacking but not really. Anyway, the defender cat literally let out a yowl and sunk his front claws into my back because he didn't know I was playing.

I'm telling you, he would fuck an intruder UP.

Also, we have two Australian Shepherds who would definitely have no problem biting an intruder.

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
My dog loves people, hates other dogs. I always wondered what she would do if she felt someone in our family was being threatened.

Last summer I was walking her before bed and this guy started following me, eventually stopping in front of me and staring at me in a menacing way. Everyone asked me what the dog did and I honestly can't say because I had all my focus on the asshole trying to threaten me. But I think she was watching the guy very intently, which is good, I guess.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
didn't you say you'd kick dogs on the last forum
You must have these full on make-on session with your dog huh. Anyway, not that I remember. Post a link if I said it, I'll wait. If you don't find anything, then I guess you'll be ok with making stuff up about you as well then.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
#TeamDoggoKisses

I would rather get kisses from my dog post ass-licking than touch your phone covered in shit molecules.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also the dog kisses are gross. I love my two dogs like children but I never let them lick my face like that, and that goes tenfold for my mouth.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Folks teach their larger dogs not to bark at or jump on strangers: Are surprised their large dog does not bark at or jump on a stranger.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dog would just beg for treats and start licking faces.

I have protected my dog more from other people and other dogs than the other way around, that's for sure.

Last edited:

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Folks teach their larger dogs not to bark at or jump on strangers: Are surprised their large dog does not bark at or jump on a stranger.

Yeah that's probably the only takeaway here.

Small dogs gonna developer small dog syndrome. Rather than be pissed off when small dogs jump on them, people usually laugh and pet them.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
User warned: bringing up off-site comments
You must have these full on make-on session with your dog huh. Anyway, not that I remember. Post a link if I said it, I'll wait. If you don't find anything, then I guess you'll be ok with making stuff up about you as well then.

https://www./threads/east-bay-jogger-kills-15-pound-pug-with-a-kick.1018003/page-2#post-157576336

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Really? My miniature schnauzer would let anyone in. But keep barking until he got pets.

Oh god no.

To be fair, our one mini was attacked by a German Shepard a year or so ago. Ever since then, she's been a LOT more defensive of my wife and I.

E: Worth adding that our male, who is a year younger, picked up similar habits because the female is the alpha in our home. It's very interesting to see how they are around strangers versus my wife and I.