Are you going to buy the cheaper console just because it's cheaper?

• Yes, I am going to buy the cheaper console

Votes: 55 6.9%
  • I was going to buy a PS5, regardless of whether or not it's cheaper

Votes: 530 66.5%
  • I was going to buy a XSX, regardless of whether or not it's cheaper

Votes: 55 6.9%
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I play on PC

Votes: 73 9.2%
  • Buying both. Price is irrelevant

Votes: 84 10.5%

• Total voters

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of MS and Sony playing chicken with the prices of their respective next gen consoles and I'm earnestly confused. I tend to hang out with a crowd of folks that are what I'd call semi-casual enthusiast; That is to say that they care about games but only follow the big news. None of these folks are on the fence about which console they want to buy because they're buying for exclusives and going where the games are. The price plays a factor in whether or not they buy in at launch, but it doesn't even begin to dictate which one they want to buy.

Is the plan to take advantage of the people who aren't paying much attention? The parents who have kids that ask for a PS5 because it's going to have <insert first party title here>, but said parent sees that a XSX is cheaper, and they don't really know the difference so they go for the cheaper one (and for fuck's sake, don't take me using PS5 and XSX in their respective price ranges as anything other than me needing to put them in an order to begin with for this example to work)?

I know they have internal folks that are far smarter than I that have run the ROI on this sort of strategy, but from the basic enthusiast level I'm just left frustrated while I sit on my thumb and wait to see how much money I should put aside to buy my console of choice.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. I won't buy an XSX if it's cheaper than the PS5 because I don't want an XSX at all.

If the PS5 is too expensive I just won't buy anything.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
No, I will be buying a PS5 as sony have shown with the PS4 they have the much better exclusives.

Even if the xbox was like £150 cheaper im still not grabbing it. i would simply wait as I have a PC

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Price is irrelevant for me, games are the selling point.

But since both PS5 and XSX launch games are a boring and there's nothing *noteworthy* (yes i don't care about Spider-Man Miles Morales) they are both an easy skip for me and i'll stick to PC until some good exclusives are out.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
i have a PC that i plan to keep maintaining/upgrading through next gen, and the xbox one is the single worst console i've ever owned, to the point that it's kinda soured me on the brand for the time being, so for me it's ps5 or nothing.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
PS5 even if it's more expensive. Sony has what I want. As long as it's not like $1000 I'm good.

XSX is off the table until a year or two from now. No reason whatsoever for me to get one at launch.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
you'd have to wedge a $200+ differential to really sway my preference. in 2013 it was like lol i'm not paying $100 for a stapled on kinect but obvs it's not 2013 anymore

though i'm "in the bubble" $50-150 can be a major tipping point

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Price does partially but I never buy systems day 1 due to them not really having the best launches(system build and games). I'm looking for quality games and experiences when I make a purchasing decision.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm mainly playing on PC except for console exclusives. In other words, if I'm going to buy a console, the exclusive lineup is going to be most important, which leaves PS5 as the only choice regardless of price.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I'm sticking to my choice regardless. It might influence when I buy it, though.

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
I plan to get the Xbox Series S since I'm locked into 2 more years of Xbox Game Pass. I'll just wait on PS5 until there's a game I want on it.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm getting a PS5 just as long as it ain't $600 for the Digital Edition or some wild shit. I'm really looking forward to Miles Morales. Pretty interested in Deathloop and Kena too. Hoping hard for some upgrades to TLOU Part II and Ghost of Tsushima as well. I'll pay $500 for a new PS5.

I probably won't be in the market for a new Xbox until at least 2023. The Series S could launch at $199 and I still wouldn't have much use for it for a few years.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Have never been disappointed with a Sony console so I'm in day 1 on PS5 regardless of its price.

Unless it's something totally astronomical/ridiculous.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm gonna get both eventually. Xbox first, due to my investment in their ecosystem and a running Game Pass subscription, and then PS5 later on. Probably when Ratchet and Clank releases.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 day one up to about €700. Sony have a great track record with exclusive I like and long term support. Microsoft has a track record of getting bored mid-generation and not producing games so I am weary in supporting their platform. But this may change this generation with their investments.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Im looking to secure two ps5s, day 1 of course.
After this amazing generation, not getting the PS5 would be akin to
802.jpg

less

Oct 25, 2017
Not particularly. Planning on getting a PS5 regardless of its price unless it is stupid expensive.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The price between the consoles would be a factor that mattered to me if I was thinking of it as one or the other, or one first then the other. But the price definitely still matters.

As it is, with Xbox games on PC, I just don't see myself getting an Xbox console anymore. Whatever the price of the Xbox, putting those funds toward a PC upgrade feels like the better investment long term. I don't know how low they would have to price their hardware for me to think it would be a better option.

As for the PS5, the price will play a role in when I pick on up. If it's >$500, I'm going to be waiting for a price drop, no question. If it's <$500, I can see myself picking it up sooner rather than latter. The lower that price, the sooner I'll likely pick it up.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, I made my decision awhile ago based on Microsoft talk of easing the onboarding process to next gen.

PS5 first, XSX down the line.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, if Sony keeps charging in dollars for digital purchases in my country I think I'll rather use the money I would waste on their bullshit on a gaming PC and start saving with steam.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of picking which console I want, no. The game library will decide that.

Price will influence when I buy a next-generation console.

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
Price is not an issue, already saved a good nest of money to get a PS5 regardless if the Xbox is way cheaper, I have no intrest in any Microsoft exclusive, plus even if the launch titles are not great I also dont care I will be replaying most of my PS4 library anyways.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
It absolutely does. I'm gonna go for whichever one is cheaper first. Era isn't indicative of the public on this one though.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Always planned to upgrade my PC and get a PS5, price wouldn't make me choose to get a XSX instead. Just.. make it take longer to do it.