Jun 5, 2020
I realize this isn't a new trend but after the Spider-Man fiasco and the $10 price increase, it just feels like insult to injury. I would like those Digital Deluxe items but $20 more for 4 Sackboy Emotes and 4 Sackboy Costumes? Come on.

Ag0KUBK.jpg

3hpcuiK.jpg

Xy0IVOo.jpg

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if people want to buy it, they can. I certainly would not pay $90 for a couple costumes that aren't great and items you'll chuck after a couple hours.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but at least it's nothing important included. Don't feel like I'm missing out on anything worthwhile by not getting those versions.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I mean you get artwork and soundtrack and stuff so...I see it very much as a if you want it buy it, if you don't want it, don't buy it kind of thing to be honest.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
i just dont get people being offended or upset over optional stuff. these digital deluxes across the industry have been for people who reallly like the games.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
There's no caring going on here. I didn't buy the digital deluxe for any of their PS4 exclusives, either. I don't need a gold sword in Ghost.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it makes sense that all prices jumped up but I'm sure as hell not paying 20€ for some costumes

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah, it's shitty. Us UK folk are being asked to pay £20 more by default for nothing extra (not even the comfort that the devs will actually see any of that money themselves), and Sony is now asking us to pay £40 more than the usual price for shit that is normally only £10 more.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who likes to buy soundtracks I'll gladly pay the $20 extra if it's a game I like.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I realize this isn't a new trend but after the Spider-Man fiasco and the $10 price increase, it just feels like insult to injury. I would like those Digital Deluxe items but $20 more for 4 Sackboy Emotes and 4 Sackboy Costumes? Come on.

Ag0KUBK.jpg

3hpcuiK.jpg

Xy0IVOo.jpg
No, we always had them. It's fine. Most of the DLC stuff isn't worth buying anyways.
Digital Deluxe means "Please buy digital" most of the time. Nothing more.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not really, as long as it ends up being really minimal/cosmetic stuff, I'm fine. I already ignore those bonuses and cosmetic things that come when you pre-order a game so this is no different for me. Those Death Stranding, God of War and Control extra items that came with the game in a voucher? Absolutely ignored them.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
i just dont get people being offended or upset over optional stuff. these digital deluxes across the industry have been for people who reallly like the games.

Yeah, this is totally in-line with what Blizzard has been doing for almost a decade if not more. Some people want to throw extra money at the game for extra cosmetics.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Well as long as there is the normal version and only cosmetic items / minor items that can be gathered through normal playthrough, why not?

Some people spent thousands on Destiny or Fortnite for dances, emotes or costume... So to each their own :)

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
No it's an option for people who want it. I don't care.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
at some point we need to stop with these "DAE think sony is evil for doing this thing that everyone has been doing all gen" threads.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Someone selling a bad or overpriced product is not an insult to me, it's just a bad product that I ignore.

The only time I would call it an insult is if they were deceptive about what it entails or tricked people into paying for it or something. If they're upfront about what it is, and it is just a dumb thing, whatever I don't care

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Most if not all of that extra content can be unlocked for free in the game. It's been like that for years. It's just early access to some skins and whatnot.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
No, it's optional. Won't surprise me if there are other digital deluxes that become $20 from third parties either.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
As others said, the editions have been around for ages. I prefer physical deluxe editions but for the most part, I get standard edtions.

I think it's only really bad when you're playing a game with a multiplayer aspect and the deluxe editions gives you exclusive gear or skins unobtainable otherwise.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
This is the norm for pretty much every big game these days, from every publisher. It is almost always optional stuff or things you can unlock later in the game. You don't need these things, nice to have sure, but you never need them.

Are we just trying to find another reason to have an outrage thread?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Don't care for them. All items in these are generally trash tier. By the time you get them in game, youve unlocked something better anyways.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
I mean if people want to buy it, they can. I certainly would not pay $90 for a couple costumes that aren't great and items you'll chuck after a couple hours.
Or if you can wait a year the game will be $20 and the version with the DLC will be $30 or $40 and they'll eventually put even that on sale for like $10 with the DLC being $1 or $2 more. As someone with a huge backlog I don't mind waiting for the extreme sales and picking up complete editions then. If you're buying a game day one, you're already paying a huge premium.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I think they're not great value, but I'm very far from insulted. I have no problem with one-time transactions even if they're pretty bad value (as opposed to MTX and the limitless spending potential in titles supporting those, where I have big problems).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This 100% has translated to the music industry. There's barely any profit in records anymore and literally every planning meeting I have with a record label always circles around to 'so, deluxe editions? What can we do?' because the mark up on them is absolutely huge. I will usually have to fight to talk down ideas of pack-in stuff and daft packaging.

I mean, look at all of this digital deluxe stuff. It's all stuff that has is probably already made/fairly low cost to put together (avatars, digital soundtrack, skins) yet it's an extra £20 for every sale straight into the publishers pocket. It's kind of a no brainer. It's not for me though.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Not really. I typically don't buy them, and deluxe (and standard) editions go on sale all the time. Sony is really good about dropping their first party prices over time as well.