Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Every single class I've had everyone has stopped talking the second the semester ends, yet I hear about people keeping in touch sometimes yet rarely.
I'm in a nursing program and there's supposed to be some continuity but after like 1 full semester people start acting weird and stop talking or make like super close 2 person micro group within groups and basically say fuck everyone else lol.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
Wrong side but absolutely, my closest friends to this day were made in college. Maybe it depends on the school?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I play video games with my best friend from college every tuesday... so boom on topic in the wrong side :P
Don't really talk to anyone else from my college days though... aside from my SO whom I met it college.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Some of my best friendships were made in college.

In fact...since then it gets harder and harder for me.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
most of my friends i'm still close with are the ones i made in middle school. there's only a handful of them i still talk to from college.

i have a friend who just went through a nursing program, and she says the friends she made turned out to be huge assholes

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I kept in touch with a lot of my college buddies until they graduated and a little after, since I still had a full semester and a summer term to complete (no thanks to my advisor...). I still keep in touch with one of them fairly regularly and the other is now my wife of going on 12 years.

OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong side but absolutely, my closest friends to this day were made in college. Maybe it depends on the school?
WOOPS thank you for mentioning lol
And it may, our school is pretty big but we have these massive 5-10 person group chats and then they all go poof after the semester ends, been happening for the last 4 years for me.
I mainly keep in touch with middle school friends moreso.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, not really. There's a lot of people I hung out with in college for a while and I'd consider them friends, but I haven't really kept up with them much. My closest friends are people that I knew in high school or earlier.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I keep in touch with friends from 4th grade, mid school, high school.. not just college.

Helps that my country is pretty small

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Yep. Daily. We're spread out across the world now, but we get together whenever we can. I can say the same for friends from where I grew up too.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I keep in touch with a handful of people I met at college, yeah. It admittedly isn't as often as I'd like, but it still happens with 3 or 4 people.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough lately I've been keeping more in touch with friends from high school than college, but yeah I still keep in touch with some.

OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
most of my friends i'm still close with are the ones i made in middle school. there's only a handful of them i still talk to from college.

i have a friend who just went through a nursing program, and she says the friends she made turned out to be huge assholes
I think it has to do with the immense level of stress you're put under, my perception might be skewed because of it.
I'm also a male and my first major clinical group was close but was predominantly made up of women with myself being the only guy, probably doesn't help.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I've got friends from grade school, middle school, high school, and college that I keep in touch with. Some much more often than others, obviously.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I speak to handful of college friends. I follow a few more on social media and will say hi to others when out and about.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Huh 90% of my close friends are from collage, though not from my classes but from associations I joined

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Went through 2x graduations (never finished the first), but my only long lasting friend from the first was/is my late wife.
From the second one I have a friend I talk to weekly, and another one which I'll check up on 4 times a year.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the school. My school didn't have any "culture" so I barely talked to people while I was there (I also worked full time and took mostly online or night classes). But the few friends I did make I still talk to.

My closest friends are my first year roommates. Ended up living with them for two years before going our separate ways and we all still talk

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been out of college that long (little over three years now), but my best friends in the world I met freshman year seven years ago, and I still very regularly hang out with them.

That being said, I noticed a huge trend of people meeting their group of friends fairly early on and then not a whole lot of it changing outside of that. All of my friends came from living in the freshman dorms(or connections after that point) and very few from class.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
While I was IN college, yeah, I had a group of people who we hung out up until graduation and maybe a little after.

Have I talked to anybody from college or high school in the decade since? Only if I run into people I went to high school with at an event. Lots of school functions and funeral homes frankly.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I keep in contact with a few people from college, but a vast majority are still old high school friends. And it seems to be the same for them as well. It's like we graduated high school, separated for a handful of years and then reconnected once college was out of the way.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Making friends is sometimes hard. Sometimes you think people are really solid then they just bail for whatever reason.

I wouldn't take it personally, OP. When it's meant to be, you'll click with the right people.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Not at all.

My best friend is from high school and all my other friends were school friends of my brother I ended up being really close to and later co-workers of friends became friends of mine.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Yes, but while I still have a bunch of university friends they were all ones I made while living in res my first year.

In terms of other students in Engineering/Economics? Everyone barely had anything to do with one another.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, defo.

Still my main friends group. Obviously not as tight as when we were young free and single.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes. I play games with three people from my old college classes. Weirdly enough I lost contact with my high school friends.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. The people I met in college I stayed in constant contact with. I play video games with them all the time and of course stay connected with them via social media. Now High School? I don't talk to any of those fuckers anymore. Either they never did shit with their life after high school or they went off to college, moved out of town and stopped trying to hang out. Most of them drifted apart and are essentially completely different people.

If anything, I wish the people I went to college with lived near me so I'd have people to hang out with as an adult. I can count on a single hand how many of my friends actually live in the same area as me for me to even interact with them in person. It sucks not having a social circle anymore as an adult.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Literally every friend I still care about was made in College and we all still hang all the time (thanks, Discord).

It's everybody I met prior to College that's irrelevant now.

Edit: Important tidbit for relevancy here, we lived in the dorms together, so we were within close proximity a lot for a lot of non-class related affairs. I don't talk to any of my classmates from those classes though because I was an in-and-out kinda student. So it's a bit different depending on if you live with them or have Club activities with them. Basically, do you guys hang out in non-forced settings is a big factor.

Oct 27, 2017
I found it hard to bond with people in college, and the fact that I was an international in a US school probably didn't help. Ended up keeping in touch with people from the same country.

Grad school however was an entirely different (better) experience.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
No, not really.. aside from the occasional liking each other's stuff on Facebook. Most of my college friends moved on, moved away, got married and had kids. Although, I also wouldn't say that I had a lot of "really good" friends in college.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My closest friend from adulthood is a guy I met thanks to a post on GAF about a Smash Bros tourney at FSU. I found out there was a gaming committee via the post and two people who posted on the board were members and friends and we became instantly close. This was nearly 20 years ago at this point but the three of us have had a group message of some sort going since phones allowed it and I was the best man in one of their weddings (attended the other one.. both of them were in California and I'm in Texas). I think the close friends you make in college are generally the ones that you'll be closest with for the rest of your life.

I don't think you necessarily make close friends just from class.. it's usually the activities outside of it. I met my wife at school as well and we've been together in some capacity now for 15 years.

OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Making friends is sometimes hard. Sometimes you think people are really solid then they just bail for whatever reason.

I wouldn't take it personally, OP. When it's meant to be, you'll click with the right people.
We change clinical groups each semester unless everyone keeps in close contact and can make the same schedule (yet for some reason instead of choosing the same groups they act in complete solitude and then talk about which classes they got after the fact, very strange), and my current one is pretty nice but way more quiet, which I might honestly prefer.
I'm 27 but act like i'm 19 and these are all 19-20 year olds at this point lol.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
most of my closest friends were made in college.

actually surprised to so many people who are still close with grade school friends. most of us had to move away for college and moved on after that. still talk to a couple of them though

i have a few friends i made post college, but those relationships aren't nearly as tight for whatever reason. making friends as an adult is certainly alot trickier, and takes more effort.

Oct 25, 2017
Only really had one close friend in college, and we still regularly hang out.
Most of my highschool friends have grown distant though. Just meet up at a bar a couple times a year.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Not really, mostly keep in contact with people from secondary school years. Only college friends I keep contact with are some glee club peeps, that's about it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still very close with like 4-5 of my close college friends. Some I talk to almost every day. Outside of COVID we would have usually gotten together a few times a year to hang, but not this year. I'm friends with a lot of people I went to college with but wasn't really friends with in college, we've become better friends after college... Like my wife. We went to the same college but didn't really know each other in college.

There's a group of friends and we were very close in college, but that includes my ex-gf and after that relationship ended I remained friendly with the other people, but mostly fell out of touch with them. I'll talk to them if we run into each other occassionally, but we're not really friends.

What's kinda funny is that my three closest friends right now are guys who I've known for 30 years, but from like 17-22 or so, we really weren't that close. We became close again in the years after college, and now outside of COVID those are guys I talk to literally every day and see them at least once a month. But COVID has kinda fucked that up per usual. What's funny is like at 22 if you asked me if I was friends with people from high school or gradeschool I would have said a couple but we're not that close, and that I'm closer with my college friends, but ... In the 15 years since then, it's been the opposite.

Last edited: