Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Is that just the name of the Master System in Europe or something else? I noticed this just now cause I have some stickers from my Sega 3d Classics physical case. One of the vinyl stickers says Giga Drive on it. Just wondering as my googlfu didn't really get many results.

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
It's the name of M2's Mega Drive emulator for 3DS, hence why it's included with the sticker pack. I think it's also used, albeit modified, for the AGES games on Switch, but I can't recall if they gave it a new name.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I can't speak for all of Europe but a Master System was just called a Master System here in the UK.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This a fun alternate universe to imagine, you could have the Mega Drive, then the Giga Drive, then the Tera Drive, but I guess I wouldn't trade rad names like the Saturn and Dreamcast.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Is that just the name of the Master System in Europe or something else? I noticed this just now cause I have some stickers from my Sega 3d Classics physical case. One of the vinyl stickers says Giga Drive on it. Just wondering as my googlfu didn't really get many results.

Without looking up "Gigadrive" on google, I am pretty sure it was the code name for the Sega Saturn, during that console's development. But I could be wrong. But I swear, it was used as a code name for some console or add-on that was in development.

M2 also uses the name Gigadrive for their emulator.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Without looking up "Gigadrive" on google, I am pretty sure it was the code name for the Sega Saturn, during that console's development. But I could be wrong. But I swear, it was used as a code name for some console or add-on that was in development.

M2 also uses the name Gigadrive for their emulator.

Nope. I was wrong. Gigadrive was the codename for the Sega CD, while it was in development:

OvpFeip.jpg

Sega was using planet names for their 32bit projects, like the Mars 32x and the Sega Saturn. Neptune was the 32x/ Genesis/ Mega Drive hybrid. Jupiter was suppose to be some sort of Sega Saturn without a CD drive. Pluto was the Sega Saturn prototype with a modem built into it.