Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
One of my cats hates seeing me play games. He'll gaze me menacingly or ambush my back or my ankles whenever I play. I know him, and it's not because his needs weren't met, the screen was too bright, or the game took up too much of my attention. He'll stop acting like that if I switch my activity to watch movies or browse Era.

How about yours?

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
One of my cats hates seeing me play games. He'll gaze me menacingly or ambush my back or my ankles whenever I play. I know him, and it's not because his needs weren't met, the screen was too bright, or the game took up too much of my attention. He'll stop acting like that if I switch my activity to watch movies or browse Era.

How about yours?

One of my dogs faithfully lays near my chair because he knows he's going to get pets during loading and/or cinemas.

The other one occasionally jumps in my lap to watch, and then leaves shortly after.

My daughter's cat is the asshole. She likes to wait until I'm playing Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Killer Klowns from Outer Space and when I'm escaping knock my ice water into my lap, and stand in front of the screen.

This has happened multiple times. The cat likes to knock the drink into my lap and then block the screen so I can't see the button prompts. I even have a video of the cat sitting directly in front of the screen looking at me while Leatherface is sawing up my body.

Long story short, no one should have cats, anyone that owns a cat should feel bad for owning cats, and we are never getting another cat because cats are awful.

EDIT: growing up we had a cat. I remember hearing a crash in my teens, and the sound of our cat running full blast. I went to investigate and discovered that cat had destroyed my PS1 by knocking it off my dresser.

Cats are horrible. Stop owning cats. They destroy all fun without mercy.

(I don't actually care if anyone has cats. They just haven't mixed with gaming for me)

Last edited:

Eferim

May 20, 2019
If I'm playing a game that can be played one handed while the other pets them? Yes, that approve. Otherwise no.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Yes in fact my cat will sit right beside me while I'm gaming and is great company to have

Unless I'm playing rocket league then she'll try to attack the ball on the TV...

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
One cat doesn't care most of the time, but scratches for attention at others. The other cat plops down on the designated cat place o on my desk, or my knees or belly as soon as I sit down.

ReclusiveHaze

Sep 1, 2022
My cat will normally sleep near me as I'm playing but if he needs something he'll let me know verbally and wait for me to pause for belly rubs, playtime, or treats.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
We have two cats. The oldest loves to hang out with me and lie down near when I play games. Sometimes she'll watch the game, sometimes me while I play. She really pays attention to any section with rain or if there are cats in the game and tries to get close. It's adorable.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Wife and I had a Russian Blue, Mitchell. Dude sat on my lap almost everyday for six years while I played games. He was ultra peaceful. Just a great cat. He just loved hanging out. Homie passed away last October. I sobbed like a child. RIP on the big lap in the sky, big dude.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
My pets are houseflies and they very much approve me gaming, considering how much they appreciate high end TVs, clinging to them while I game.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game. Cat used to like watching games that I would say have "weird little guys" in it like animal crossing or any strategy type game with a lil army

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
My cat usually sits by me and watches me play games after she's had a bit of a play around and attention. It's cute :)
xzaMrcV.jpeg

Hy6lIhK.jpeg

5ANbkOX.jpeg

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I have one cat in particular where if I'm not paying them enough attention will sit on a table next to be and gently tap my arm with her paw.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I really don't think our cats care / mind. They join me on the sofa and as long as they have been fed and get the occasional scratch under their chin they're very happy to be there with me.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wife and I had a Russian Blue, Mitchell. Dude sat on my lap almost everyday for six years while I played games. He was ultra peaceful. Just a great cat. He just loved hanging out. Homie passed away last October. I sobbed like a child. RIP on the big lap in the sky, big dude.

My sympathies, losing a beloved pet is always hard. :( My Gizmo was the same, loved sleeping on my lap whenever I was in front of the TV. Three and a half years since she passed away of old age and I still think about her nearly every day.

SnakeEater

Oct 31, 2017
The moment I turn on a console my cat jumps onto my lap and spends the whole session watching or sleeping (or one after another). I guess that's an approve.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
My pup will sometimes sleep while I play, but other times she will want to jump on my lap to get some attention. I would normally have no issue with that but she's not a cat or a lapdog, but a swiss shepherd...

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
My cat that passed away a while ago would sit on the back of my office chair, she was constantly with me when I was gaming. My current dog *hates* when I'm on the computer. She doesn't like when I'm talking to nothing, and she'll leave the room instantly.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My dog knows the sound of my systems being turned off and jumps up excitedly when I'm done playing.

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
I generally don't let my cats in my gaming room any more because one of them has tried multiple times to jump on my consoles, and successfully climbed onto one of my game shelves once (and the other 2 cats don't seem to ever care to go in the room anyway). Plus I have a few pet tarantulas in there that she's also tried to knock down. That one cat I don't think approves of my gaming - she'll randomly scratch furiously at the door and mew for attention at times, which sometimes I'll go out and give her some if she's persistent enough, but then she often just walks away like she didn't actually want attention anyway.

I've noticed she also gets panicky when she hears me playing games with lots of human-like screams (e.g. like when I was playing the Last of Us 2). Not sure if she thinks it's me screaming or something, but I've heard her mewing her head off and basically trying to break into the room (she's been successful a few times) before when playing games like that, lol.

At least she's blissfully unaware that I named her after a game character.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
ironically, my cat hates it when i'm on the phone or a video call for work, but he's never had an issue with me watching videos or playing games. a lot of the time he'll hop up to take a nap on my legs. he will come and nip me when he's decided that i've paid enough attention to the TV and that it's time to play with him, though

Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Absolutely. Yukiko and Marie are both invested in the stories the moving objects on the TV screen.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
My sympathies, losing a beloved pet is always hard. :( My Gizmo was the same, loved sleeping on my lap whenever I was in front of the TV. Three and a half years since she passed away of old age and I still think about her nearly every day.
Thanks. Same to you. The worst of it was that it was completely unexpected. I wasn't a cat dad until I was. He was really the best. We have Mitchell's remains on our shelf with a little shrine. (His collars hung on his urn, a photo and a his paw imprint) He's still with us in our hearts.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
My rabbit jumps on the sofa, loafs next to me and then sleeps when I'm playing games in the living room.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I think one of my dogs kind of dislikes it because he knows it means I will not fully devote my attention to him, lol
He has learned to recognize all of the "power off" sounds of my consoles as well and he will instantly go into his cage because he knows it means I'm about to go to sleep.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
My dog is stuck to me like glue so he'll just lay on the couch beside me while I play. What is really cute though is he's learned the sound of the PS5/Switch menus, so the second I put them into rest mode he jumps up and gets excited. Usually because we go for a walk after.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
My cat doesn't care about anything but sleeping and making sure I don't,

When I'm gaming on the coach she usually head bumps my hands and controller making sure I die at bosses.

Boogler

Dec 11, 2017
USA
My cats have learned to not play with cords, and not to walk on the arcade stick. They also know there are buttons on the back side of it, so they sit in my lap in front of it so as to not hit the home button.

They do still walk in front of the TV to get attention though. Hahaha

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My dog just sits next to me on the couch whenever I play, so yeah. Although Milo does have the habit of putting his head on my Kitsune whenever I'm playing Street Fighter.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely love it. It means they get to sleep in my lap or sleep on my belly.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's time to eat. Then she'll park her butt on the desk right in front of the monitor. Less hassle if I'm on the couch, then she'll sit next to it and glare at me until I get up and feed her.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
My cat does not understand that she shouldn't stand on the computer desk so she is banned from the computer room for her safety and my sanity.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
I have two dogs. The older one is content to lie down next to me while I'm playing. The younger one never fails to run over to me with a toy the minute I pick up a controller. It makes me feel guilty not playing with her.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I wish my dog laid near, with, on me while I play games :/

she does know when I'm done playing games and she starts looking for attention & pets.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Depends on which cat is around.. my little girl tabby cat, Paisley, will hop in my lap.
Our older Siamese cat, Loki, will curl up next to me and try to get my attention.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Until she passed away from old age, my dog favorite pastime was to sleep on my while I played games . It was awesome

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
my cat is my co-developer, and it assistant what with the sitting on keyboards while I'm typing, and the stress testing of ethernet and power connections, and the determination to push all my controllers on the floor. but the effect on teams meetings, of a tail drifting across the bottom of the screen as I'm explaining technical things, that's the best

should probably get him to sign an nda if he's going to post on era tho (he's come close)

frqunzfltr

Apr 25, 2024
The first PS5 Slim I bought, had this very high pitched noise that would hurt my dogs ears, as well as mine. The one I got now is much better. Typical Sony bullsh*t.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
We have a one year old kitten who's always laying down next to me on the couch and scamming for scratches and pats while I play. I almost always oblige so I guess you could say she's got me trained.

Another one of our cats - he's 11 years old - usually either sleeps on the back of the couch next to me or on my lap when I'm gaming. He's pretty chill.

The only thing I hate is when they become overly interested in what I'm playing, jump up on the home theater rack, and start to try to swat at stuff on the TV.

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
My cat Vivi likes to sleep on my lap or nearby when I am playing games. She likes to watch some games more than others, usually fast-moving ones with lots of colours. She really liked when I was playing Unicorn Overlord because the sped-up battles kept her attention and the game is slow-paced enough that I could give her pets frequently.