Will adaptive triggers and advanced haptic feedback just be a fad or will they be a paradigm shift?

• Fad

Votes: 569 38.1%
  • Paradigm shift

Votes: 289 19.4%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 634 42.5%

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2019
When I hear people talk about the DualSense, I get really excited. I love the fact that the combination of adaptive triggers and advanced haptics will (in theory) increase immersion in basically every type of game imaginable, if the devs choose to take full advantage of them. Driving in any game will be a lot more fun when you can feel the traction changing under your treads depending on the terrain. Weapons (both ranged and melee) will feel a lot more unique since each will have a different heft and kickback. Platformers will get an added layer of interactivity and challenge based on the way environmental obstacles like ice, sand, wind, water, and more will affect your controller. The list goes on.

However, a lot of people have been dubious that these features will have staying power and that they'll kind of fade away outside of first party usage like the DS4 lightbar has. My rebuttal to that would be that there's only so much you can do with a lightbar compared to full haptic and trigger resistance modulations, so it's only natural that it kind of stagnated, not to mention the fact that the DS4 lightbar was primarily meant for VR tracking anyway.

Given the near infinite ways devs could get creative with these features, I personally think we'll see advanced haptics and adaptive triggers become a paradigm shift in the same way that controller rumble did. Rumble could have just been a fad, but it became an integral part of the way that people interact with the controller, and I think the same will happen here. It won't happen overnight, but I do think it will become more ubiquitous over time and that we'll see these features persist beyond just this upcoming generation.

Now I realize that not everyone is too keen on these features and would like the option to turn them off, and that's totally fine -- however, my question isn't so much whether you're looking forward to these features or not, but rather do you objectively think they'll just be short-lived fads with minor utilization outside of first party games, or will we see them embraced across the board and become a controller design mainstay?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Heck I still don't give a flying fuck about rumble 20+ years after its introduction lol, never felt like it added anything to the experience.

As for these new features, seem pretty gimmicky. They'll stick around without blowing people's mind and devs not caring that much either.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they'll be a fad but I think a paradigm shift is probably overselling it too.

The haptics in the Switch controller haven't been a fad. It's just... kinda normal in most games. Not many great 'wow' moments outside of counting marbles in 1-2 Switch. But they're used in every game (because they replaced the traditional rumble). So doesn't really justify being called a fad. I understand the DualSense haptics are maybe stronger or more nuanced or something but we'll see I guess. Point being the haptics in the joycon and the Pro controller are capable of doing new crazy unique feedback (we've seen it occasionally and it's a super cool effect!), it's just that very few games have bothered. Usually it's just a buzz like normal rumble.

I think the adaptive triggers will be awesome and I hope devs have fun playing with them.

The fact that half of the Keighly demo was talking about the speaker (that the DualShock already has) and blowing into the mic (which the DS has done forever and is an awful gameplay mechanic) was a little concerning for how much this tech is gonna be used.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
100% fad. Don't even expect most titles outside 1st year exclusives to use either very often.
I think 3D rumble is a good example. Numerous exclusives there that do jack all with that feature.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the mid-ground option? I think some devs will make great use of it and others will totally ignore it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't experienced them in use to weigh in on it.

Really wish some of this stuff made it to PC games.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think it's going to be like the mic on the DS and other things Nintendo made available on their controllers. They will be used by first parties, third parties will try them once or twice and leave them when they noticed it isn't worth the extra work.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Given this industry's track record it's definitely safe to say it's going to be a fad.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If only sony makes good use of it, thats cool. They make a lot of games. Not expecting multiplatform games to make the effort.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
fad.
i dont really care for rumble tho. i turn it off most of the time when i play games since its more of distraction than anything 🤷‍♂️ .

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I guess we'll have to see. At the very least we'll have to wait until we can actually try it for ourselves to form a real opinion.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I would love for it to become standard as long as games start giving WAY BETTER accessibility options. I think the route of "the special triggers of the new PS5 controller are essential for the game experience" is a bunch of bullcrap (they really should support DualShock4) and honestly cuts away an important portion of gaming consumers that might have some restrictions and disabilities.

Honestly gaming is going towards way more controller agnostic path with game streaming and mobile gaming. Options are great, make them standard if you want, but allow options. Steam does a fantastic job with this I believe but we need more on all spaces.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Don't know about adaptive triggers but everyone forgot about the HD Rumble of the Joycons so Haptic Feedback will be a fad.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I went with somewhere in between as I expect that haptics will end up being widely adopted, but the adaptive triggers will be a fad.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
I would also be very curious to hear what any devs who happen to be here think! What's your experience with designing games with next gen controllers in mind? Do the haptics and triggers change the experience enough that you want all your future games to take advantage of them, or does designing around them feel like more effort than it's worth?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I think the adaptive triggers will be used heavily in PS exclusives but not so much in third-party titles. You can't really design your multi-platform game around the features of a controller that's only usable on one platform.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
In between. I think the new rumble will be used a lot, triggers may have some applications but since this will be in going forward for Sony it could definitely make a difference esp if Sony has those "designed exclusively" games where PS5!is the lead platform.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Either a fad or somewhere in between. HD Rumble is similar and has been a thing on the Switch for years now, yet still not much usage.

Hell the rumble triggers on the xbox one are barely used. I'm hoping now that the PS5 has something similar there, more third party games will use it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I would also be very curious to hear what any devs who happen to be here think! What's your experience with designing games with next gen controllers in mind? Do the haptics and triggers change the experience enough that you want all your future games to take advantage of them, or does designing around them feel like more effort than it's worth?

blog.playstation.com

Presenting PlayStation’s first global ad spot showcasing key immersive features for the PS5 console generation

Developers also share how adaptive triggers and haptic feedback provide new game experiences on PS5.

some of this is promising.

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly I would prefer gyro aiming to be the next standard thing because it exists, it works in anything that requires aiming, and it objectively increases accuracy/speed.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Haptic feedback, unless it's majorly improved, is utterly worthless.

The adaptive triggers might be cool but sounds like something that might get ignored by lots of (multiplatform) devs, just like motion controls, the touch pad etc. are in 99,9% of games.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The majority of people I know love the HD rumble, kinda sad developers aren't using it.

HD Rumble on Switch is awesome. When I hear folk talk about the DualSense and how it can move the rumble around localised areas and you can feel it in different parts of the controller etc it totally rings true with what we've seen on Switch. Those marbles in 1-2-Switch. It's seriously convincing that they're actually rolling around in your controller. You can feel them roll from one side to the other as you tilt it...

Its just that no other games really used them for more than a normal buzz at varying frequencies.

Oct 27, 2017
HD Rumble on Switch is awesome. When I hear folk talk about the DualSense and how it can move the rumble around localised areas and you can feel it in different parts of the controller etc it totally rings true with what we've seen on Switch. Those marbles in 1-2-Switch. It's seriously convincing that they're actually rolling around in your controller. You can feel them roll from one side to the other as you tilt it...

Its just that no other games really used them for more than a normal buzz at varying frequencies.
But why do you need marbles in your controller.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
In between for me for sure.
It will have some actual function like the Ratchet devs mentioned, such as a double barrel shotgun only shooting one round if pulled halfway etc.
I expect COD will do some fun stuff with that also.

I hope it's used more than the touchpad etc. because I honestly see it doing some good as opposed to just being essentially a big fat button.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020

Ring Fit uses it pretty well, too.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In between for me, I think it could go either way. I'm excited to try them though and feel it for myself.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Adaptive triggers sound cool but need to try it first.

I doubt that I'll care about haptic feedback though.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It will have some actual function like the Ratchet devs mentioned, such as a double barrel shotgun only shooting one round if pulled halfway etc.

This is one of my favourite examples so far where you can kind of visualise how it'd work in a game and how it'd actually be really useful for gameplay! Man, I'm so interested to feel these triggers for myself. It's a crime that we aren't able to get hands on with them this year before release. Probably would've demoed them at a convention by now in any other year.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on developers using it to its advantage. Otherwise it's just another feature.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
dont care for vibrating controllers at all. nothing but a waste of battery life imo. ill disable it and never look back.