immy

Jul 3, 2022
So, I bought a switch second hand, it's been fine for a year but now my joycon is starting to break.

I signed up on Nintendo online to return my joycon, however they want proof of purchase. Is this actually required? Has anyone returned a joycon without proof of delivery?

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I recall giving them the serial number of my Switch when I did joycon repair. I don't remember having to submit any kind of proof of purchase though.

Edit: I'm in the US since that could possibly make a difference.

OP
OP
immy

immy

Jul 3, 2022
I'm.in the UK, not sure if it makes a difference. They asked only for proof of purchase to be included in the box

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
tbh you would probably have an easier time looking for someone to fix it for you. Or just tell them you lost the box but you can give them the serial number or something

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
In the UK they ask for proof of purchase, yeah. I don't think they do serial number tracking or anything. Every time I've had to send something in for repair relating to my console I had to send in my order info. My best experience was when they didn't even realise their own store offered a 2 year warranty when purchasing a Switch so I had to call them after they tried to make me pay, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
I returned mine to UK for repair recently. They only need receipt if you want to claim warranty. No receipt means you gotta pay and they'll confirm price and make you pay if you want them to repair.

My joycon drift was fixed for free though, even though they were out of warranty.

OP
OP
immy

immy

Jul 3, 2022
I returned mine to UK for repair recently. They only need receipt if you want to claim warranty. No receipt means you gotta pay and they'll confirm price and make you pay if you want them to repair.

My joycon drift was fixed for free though, even though they were out of warranty.
Interesting, do you know why they didn't charge you?

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting, do you know why they didn't charge you?
I think they fix only drift for free. My joycons were bought at release, so way past warranty when I sent them in this November. The repair quote they sent me said the faulty sticks (from 4 joycons) were "in warranty", but my 1 broken ZL button was "out of warranty" so I had to pay to get that fixed but the sticks were done at no charge. My ZL button cost £23.70 + vat to get fixed if you're curious - can't believe I stupidly paid it. \o/

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I took out the extra cover from GAME, so any Joycon issues i take them back in the box and i get another pair. Done it twice so far, worth doing in my opinion. They check to be sure first, but straight forward enough.

Done the same with my Series and PS5 controllers as well, any issues i go in for a replacement.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's different around the globe, but in the Netherlands you always need a proof of purchase (in case of warranty). Otherwise you'll have to pay up.