Do you you lock your doors when you are home?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 1,526 81.0%
  • No, only at nights.

Votes: 198 10.5%
  • Sometimes locked sometimes not

Votes: 123 6.5%
  • I never lock my doors even if I’m not at home

Votes: 37 2.0%

• Total voters
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
OK, so remembering back I made a thread a while back about the postie opening my door and dropping a parcel insid, that thread then took off with many ERA members stunned that I would leave my door open. Like to the point that most thought I was taking a huge risk.

Soni want to know what your position is on this, do you lock yourself in or do you leave the door unlocked when you are home?

Me personally, when I am at home, the door only gets locked overnight when I am asleep, if I am home the door is unlocked. For context I live in a small town with a low crime rate and it would be basically impossible for someone to get into my home without being seen. My door can be clearly from the street so any would be burglars would get spotted instantly.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Only at night. But doors that lead outside need a key to be opened anyway, even if unlocked, which is what made it weird watching US shows with people entering someone else's house/apartment without using a key, but I just assumed it was sitcom stuff.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yes. I don't want people just to randomly walk into my place at anytime of the day even if I am at home.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Unlocked until we go to bed. In winter when it's dark we'll sometimes lock it a bit earlier if we know we're not leaving the house.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm not sure what you are expecting from this poll. It was clear in your earlier thread the majority locks their doors.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I've had people randomly walk inside my house exclaiming "oops wrong address!" My place remains locked at all times.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yep.

I live in an apartment, and I've had several times where someone drunk or stupid has gotten off at the wrong floor and mistaken my apartment for theirs. Easier to just lock the door.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Only at night. But doors that lead outside need a key to be opened anyway, even if unlocked.

This also came up in the topic, here that's not the case, on most UK exteriors doors for houses once a door is unlocked it can be opened and closed basically infinitely. That not the case if it's the main door to a block of flats, those tend to lock automatically behind you.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Locked at night, but no one can enter our house without a key anyway.

I don't understand how someone can accidentally enter a house? You can open your entrance doors without a key?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Unless I know I'll be going out again I always lock my door. I didn't grow up in a place where it was smart to leave them unlocked so it's just became habit even if I no longer live in that shithole.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
At night usually but at times i forget, but if they are gonna open my door they have to force open the door to the apartment building, not the easiest task.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
This also came up in the topic, here that's not the case, on most UK exteriors doors for houses once a door is unlocked it can be opened and closed basically infinitely unless it's the main door to a block of flats.

where is "here"? edit...ok I think you edited to UK

I'm in the US. My front door has what I guess is called a Night Latch that locks any time you close it.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Only at nights. I will hear/see if someone opens my gate when I'm awake before they can get anywhere near the door.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, there's no one I'd want coming in unannounced. Only kept my door unlocked in college.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
This ain't the 50s, of course I lock my doors. I'm also never using a smart lock for my house because screw the possibility of someone being able to mess with my house locks because of some 3rd party security issue.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Yeah? unless I just forget or have other people in the house coming/going. Like if im home and no one is outside doing stuff and the door is unlocked I'll lock it as I walk by, pretty normal behavior imo

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. And my mother (Who moved in with me, annoyingly for free last year) does not. Annoying as she lived in a flat around the corner a few years ago and woke up with a bloke in her room on the rob as they left the door open and the fact in the local street group their are regularly reports of people trying doors and I've had someone try mine once when I was sat in the dark watching TV years ago.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Much like my car, I like to leave it unlocked, doors open, and with the windows down so that I don't run the risk of a broken window.

/s

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yes cause we live right off a main road in a not so great area so there are a lot of people that walk right by our front door. We've had multiple packages stolen in broad daylight even though we have a Ring camera. My fiance also had a guy just try to walk into our house while I wasn't home one day. Luckily the door was locked and he kinda just stood there shaking the door handle until my fiance asked him what he was doing over the Ring camera and he said he thought it was a different house... Yeah, door stays locked.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This also came up in the topic, here that's not the case, on most UK exteriors doors for houses once a door is unlocked it can be opened and closed basically infinitely. That not the case if it's the main door to a block of flats, those tend to lock automatically behind you.
I see. Here in Peru it's usually as I described, the doors that lead outside have to be opened with a key even if they weren't "locked", by locked I mean closing then and locking them further with your key. During the day I usually just close those and no one can get in without the key, at night you simply strengthen the lock by turning the key to the right.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
sorry, my mind is blown right now. I'm pretty sure I have never seen a house/entrance door in my life you could open without a key lol. There are no handles, we use our keys in Germany (and the rest of Europe? Don't know).

Definitely not in all of Europe. Here in Hungary most entrance doors are just like any other door. Unlock with key, use handle to open/close until you relock with the key.

There are auto-lock doors of course, but they're not that popular.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
UK here doors unlocked during the day - it's one of those doors that not many other countries seem to have with a handle and yea it's unlocked all day until i go to bed usually.

Don't even think about it until i sleep

Nov 5, 2017
I still find how people leave their doors unlocked all day fascinating.

Me, on the other hand, has my doors locked all the time when I'm home with my alarm that's connected to the police active.

No one coming into my house, thanks.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Much like my car, I like to leave it unlocked, doors open, and with the windows down so that I don't run the risk of a broken window.

/s
I remember that thread from a while ago. It was kind of crazy to me people left their car unlocked because they did not want their windows smashed. Like I get the concern, but you are just letting whoever have free access to everything else in your car including just swiping your pink cards/insurance and leaving your doors open and lights on to have your battery drain.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you said anything other than yes, send me your SSN. I can help you secure a $10Mill gift from a Prince

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, almost always, but for a reason other than safety from outsiders...

3.5 year old.

She can open doors. She can't unlock them ..... yet. And we live on a highway basically.

At my old house, pre-kids, nah I never locked the door during the day, ever. Only at night, and even then probably not 50% of the time. 3 guys, we were up until like 2-3am, dog, never really felt like anybody would try to break in when we weren't home. Our cars got broken into once, made a big old mess but none of us had anything of value.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I live in a rural village in the UK. If we're in there's usually the back door that's unlocked at least until dark.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I keep my front door locked at all times. The back door not so much, but it's not easy to get into the backyard, and even if they did, I have some very good guard dogs.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. Maybe in Smalltown, USA you could get away with keeping your door unlocked but if you leave in a big city, its imperative to always to lock and chain your doors.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the downside to locking your doors all the time. Is there some self satisfied sense of safety that you don't need to do so that I'm missing there?

Just seems like an easy thing to do that you will really regret not doing if something bad ever happened.