• Stan Lee

Votes: 326 25.7%
  • Walt Disney

Votes: 196 15.4%

• Total voters

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I consider these figures to be the most significant members of their fields. Walt Disney for animation, Stan Lee for comic books and Shigeru Miyamoto for video games. Whose career are you into the most?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Miyazaki.

But of those three... Disney. Although maybe more his legacy than Mickey Mouse per se. I just have a big soft spot for Disney movies.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Stan Lee as the most significant figure in comics is debatable - I think even his most ardent admirers would concede that he worked hand-in-hand with some astonishing artists, and I think when you really start digging it becomes clearer how much some of "his" characters owe to the artists who worked on them (often scripting/creating, with Lee coming along after).

Definitely an amazing salesman and a solid editor, with some creative flair of his own, but he gets far more credit for the creative side than he deserves. That still makes him a significant figure, but I'd put folk like Kirby above him if we're talking about the pure creative aspects.

Gotta be Lee.

Dude might have unscrupulous with the crediting, but as a salesman and promoter he's unmatched. No way Marvel takes off like it did without him. Ditko and Kirby may have been the real talent, but Lee sold that shit in a way no one else could.

This is probably a fair way of thinking about it - credits Lee with what he was really good at, and gives a justification for putting him forward as the most influential figure in comics.

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I grew up with Shiggy's shit; while I was familiar with, and did casually like Marvel stuff (Spider-Man and X-Men specifically), I didn't start reading comic books until recently.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Gotta be Lee.

Dude might have unscrupulous with the crediting, but as a salesman and promoter he's unmatched. No way Marvel takes off like it did without him. Ditko and Kirby may have been the real talent, but Lee sold that shit in a way no one else could.

bronson

Oct 27, 2017
All of these people had teams of others working with them to make their creations what they are. Stan Lee would be nothing without Ditko, Kirby, etc.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Disney easily.

Miyamoto's creations are great but limited in scope.

Stan Lee, didnt really get into it until 2010s.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The stuff Disney made was pretty old when I was a kid. I liked the new Disney stuff much better. I was never into comics but I can see that having a huge influence if you are into Lees creations.

Mario, Mario3, 64 plus Zelda, LTTP and 64 all are extremely memorable for me so out of these choices it's Miyamoto.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Disney easily.

Miyamoto's creations are great but limited in scope.

Stan Lee, didnt really get into it until 2010s.

The latter is a failing of Hollywood.

Like Star Wars and Superman cleaned up at the box office, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind a properly made Spider-Man or X-Men film would've destroyed at the box office too in the 70s. Lee was years and years ahead of the curve.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's far and away Disney just by nature of him being the oldest, and thus most influential of the bunch. Stan Lee's and Shigeru Miyamoto's works basically wouldn't really be what they are without Disney first paving the way. Keep in mind as well that Disney was involved in many different industries, not just animation. So his "creations" include, like, Disneyland.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I didn't really grow up with Walt Disney or Marvel, instead I was all about those Cartoon Network originals/Hannah Barbara reruns. Warner Bros cartoons too. Disney was really boring by comparison. Teen Disney became a thing when I was a teenager and it was simply awful.

Also thought superheroes were lame. (still kinda do)

Shigsy all the way though. I'll always love his creations.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Disney had massive influence on aspects outside cartoons, even within his own lifetime. Within cartoons, the influence is almost baked in. Although, I suppose there's something to be said that Marvel's most distinctive artist came out of a studio that was stylistically different than Disney.

Miyamoto's vision is both limited and enhanced by the technology he worked on, but he's not quite THE guy, although he is definitely a prime mover in the medium.

This is hard.

Last edited:

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
...everything has to be a competition.

I like good media.
I don't give a shit who makes it.

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I would agree that Lee is the most debatable pick here. You could reasonably argue someone like like Jack Kirby or Osamu Tezuka is more significant, but that's not the main point of this thread.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
If we were to focus only on work credited to a given person, I'd say Miyamoto.

If we're extending it to their legacy it's trickier, but I guess I'd go with Disney. Musker/Clements works alone would arguably edge out the competition.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Stan Lee and it's not close. Miyamoto is a distant second altho both are among the five or so artists who have influenced me the most.

Disney doesn't even chart for me.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Stan Lee did a great job with Watchmen but Miyamoto created Sonic.. so it's a tough one.

Lol sorry

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta be Lee.

One only has to look at Ditko's indie objectivist stint to know that he wouldn't have been the one to build the House of Marvel. A house is more than the bricks that build it.

And it's really easy to see Lee as the Jobs to Ditko, Kirby, and others' Wozniak, but at least Lee could actually write. He didn't pen all of the works of the 60s, but he didn't pen none of it.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Easily Miyamoto. Nintendo is my favorite company out there. Disney was a big part of my childhood so he's second. I'm not a big comic book person.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Man, Walt Disney didn't create shit.
He was an amazing businessman. But his animators created the characters.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
walt disney didnt do shit and towards the end of his life he wanted to be dictator of a small town

miyamato and stan could have both done better in terms of crediting artists they collaborated with but i have no real issues with either one

Doggg

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 17, 2017
Miyamoto since I still very much enjoy Zelda and Mario and I don't really read comics or watch Disney animated films anymore.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Mickey Mouse isn't an interesting character, so I don't know why I would pick Walt.
Stan Lee? Even with Ditko/Kirby stuff included, I don't know. Comic books don't excite me that much.
So Miyamoto.Was the most impactful on my youth, and of these three, is still the ones whose creations I enjoy the most.

Jan 10, 2018
It's far and away Disney just by nature of him being the oldest, and thus most influential of the bunch. Stan Lee's and Shigeru Miyamoto's works basically wouldn't really be what they are without Disney first paving the way. Keep in mind as well that Disney was involved in many different industries, not just animation. So his "creations" include, like, Disneyland.

If you go down that route you gotta name Segar whos Popeye further popularized comic strips and was obviously the biggest influence on Super Mario.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
Outside of Mickey and friends, all Walt Disney did was adapt fairy tales that were already written.

Myamoto created Mario, Link, and the Pikmin explorers. All three protagonists have shallow and fairly hollow personalities so the player can input themselves into them. They also tell the same basic story over and over again.

While Stan Lee did co-collaborate with his talent, he did help create all those characters and worlds.

I'm giving it to Lee.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Walt Disney for Donald Duck, fuck that šŸ­

2. I don't really read any comics but still enjoy the Stan Lee characters in movies/ games.

3. I think Mario and Zelda are totally overhyped.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Stan Lee easily and it ain't even a competition.

What are Mario and Mickey Mouse's insecurities? Does Link have trouble paying his bills? Stan wanted his creations to be relatable to his readers by giving them real world complexities. Superman and Batman were "perfect" heroes. Stan wanted Peter Parker to go through the same issues that all of us do. He can climb walls and has Spider-Sense-but he can't help his aunt pay her rent.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Stan by default. I don't really love most of his creations despite being a Marvel guy. He gets credit for creating the X-Men even though Claremont is the real father of mutants.

I just don't care about Disney at all and I don't know who the other option is.