zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I'm primarily talking gameplay wise but plot wise applies here too.

As for me personally?
Yes.

A lot of times I speed past enemies in games if there is nothing to gain from fighting them

But if an enemy inconveniences or kills me you can bet I'm going to go out of my way to destroy those lines of code

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
No, only towards bosses. Regular enemies are just people who do what they are paid for, there's nothing personal between me and them, I know it, they know it, everything's fine between us.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
All moles and lizards in Spelunky 2 must die the most painful deaths, even if it makes me go out of my way and costs me a few precious seconds.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Me 99% of times: Nah

Vergil exists: "1 V 1 ME WHILE IT RAINS HEAVILY AND WE TRASH TALK RIGHT NOW YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARD WHO I LOVE AND HATE"

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I'm the same as the OP. Especially in RPGs, if I'm trying to flee from weak enemies but fail 3-4 times I will end up just killing the enemies out of spite.

Nov 19, 2019
Definitely, and Dark Souls really brings this out in me. Though I think there's a logic to it rather than raw thirst for vengeance.

Like, if a particular encounter is constantly stomping me, then figuring out how to barely win or sneak past it will probably cost me more time or more restarts in the long run. I'd rather spend the time up front to figure out how to obliterate them so that I don't have to worry about the encounter again.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Yes, especially if they continue to use minimize or double team.

Jan 3, 2019
latest

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
When I finally got good at Godhand it felt really good to pummel on bosses that used to send me to the continue screen over and over.

AgonizingDirectGraysquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In general no.

In Metal Gear Solid 2 and they taunt me/won't give up the dog tags? I'm breaking their arms, legs and then I'm putting a bullet in their crotch the stupid bastards.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just say that the bird near Romani Ranch that steals your Sword and Shield can FUCK RIGHT OFF. I have a few arrows with your name, buddy...

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not very often. But god damn did it feel good to show Eric Sparrow who's boss that little fuck.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Im trying to think of examples but no I dont think so. But I most certainly do acknowledge badly designed encounters or unfair enemies.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I definitely can be. Playing KOTOR 2 now and while I'm pretty light side I've killed two people to get something they had that I needed because I couldn't be bothered paying them for it or doing something in exchange. And I know I've been given the option to spare enemies but killed them because they had been a pain for so long.

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
Not really. It also depends on the game I'm playing. For example, if it's the current reboot Tomb Raider trilogy series, then yes I feel very vengeful out of empathy of what Lara Croft goes through in her games.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm fine with Grunts, Elites and Brutes... But those Jackles. If given the opportunity I would commit genocide. Those bastards have sniped me from a hidden tree branch one too many times

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Usually not, if I don't get rewarded I tend to go on my merry way. Now, if they keep getting on my way, looking at me funny, or spouting shit...I'm gonna torch down their fucking houses while I farm their buddies for whatever useless currency they are worth.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Generally no, but as someone mentioned...the Spelunky enemies are a special case as they are just the rudest jerks in gaming. Even you Yang and the Shopkeeper.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War are great examples of games with systems (nemesis) which make you (the player) feel some sort of vengeance against enemies and I loved that about those games.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. I dont know how many times I've killed
Abby in tlou, jump off buildings, getting shot in the face etc.. felt good everytime. I literally had to make sure she died a few times every hour. Abby literally killed my most hyped game of all time. Fuck. I hate talking about tlou2

But yeah, enemies that kill me more than I think I deserve gets on my shitlist and I make sure I killed them good.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I was playing Watchdogs (first one) earlier today and was chasing a criminal down the street and he shot at me, blew up a barrel, and almost killed me. I was going to try and just incapacitate him but now? He got 10 in the chest.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
The Last of Us Part II is the only time I've felt that way. On Ellie's journey, I wanted revenge on Abby and all her friends.

What a fantastic game.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on if the game's built it up right. It's something I've mused on a bit through the years - I *used* to be massively 'gameplay over story' in attitude, but that's changed as I've realised that a story that motivates the player is a very powerful tool and adds significant impact to the gameplay; wanting to beat the boss because he's a jerk is a potent motivator in a way that wanting to beat the boss because he's a challenging fight is not.

A game that led me to this realisation was Shadow Complex... because it was a perfectly competent game that completely failed at this. My comments from back in the day:

Once upon a time... said:
A bit LTTP, but I finished this off last week. It's some absolutely *superb* Metroidvania design, and the foam gun in particular is a good, original addition to your arsenal.

But.

It's missing something, and I can't quite place what. I think it's atmosphere. Unlike Super Metroid or the better Castlevanias, I never really felt invested in the world itself. I think part of it is that the villains were so very faceless; it's hard to resent them when they have so little identity, even - crucially - the Big Bad.

One problem, I think, was that there was very little foreshadowing. Two of the Metroids had the statue rooms which really conveyed a feeling of "something will happen here", and the Castlevanias frequently had allusions to plot events which were upcoming. It'd have appealed to me, I think, if there was some Big Important Building that you clearly couldn't access yet, and I'd have loved for
the nukes used in the final boss fight to have been hinted at when you pottered around in the rooms directly below them

Instead - unless I missed the hints - all we actually got was an indication that
*something* was going to happen to San Francisco, and it'd be bad. And then we saw a flying airship, which didn't really seem all that threatening, but we blew it up anyway
So, yeah. Motivation matters.

...(although given what I understand was to be the deeper story underpinning Shadow Complex, perhaps it's best it was as barebones as it was?)

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
No, only towards bosses. Regular enemies are just people who do what they are paid for, there's nothing personal between me and them, I know it, they know it, everything's fine between us.

Play Deus Ex. Experiencing the scheming and plans of Bob Page will make you rethink the "just following orders"/Nuremberg Excuse/Punchclock Villain trope. Those people know what they're serving, they know what they signed up for.

And for that, they must be Expunged. To the last.

I take great pleasure in slaughtering every enemy in my path in Deus Ex post-NSF. Party like it's 1793!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The toxic spitting dudes in Blighttown.

I really hate bed of chaos but don't feel particularly vengeful. In fact, most bosses from Souls are either very interesting(Friede) or downright boring(half the bosses in DS2).