Do you? (Feel free to mention them in the comments)

• Yes, only one.

Votes: 233 18.8%
  • Yes, two.

Votes: 218 17.6%
  • Yes, there are three.

Votes: 90 7.2%
  • Yes, four AC games.

Votes: 24 1.9%
  • Yes, five titles.

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • Yes, six or more.

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • No, not one.

Votes: 654 52.7%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
With the announcement of the latest game in this long running franchise I found myself thinking a little about it.

It's been 13 years since the release of the first Assassin's Creed and since then we've seem a huge amount of main titles and spinoffs across 2, soon to be 3, console generations. Yet, as recognizable and relevant as the series is, I realize that I don't consider a single game in the series to belong in the very first shelf of gaming.

To see if I was very off (and just for a reference) I went to check Metacritic's top games of the decade and no AC game features among the top50 in term of metascore or among the top20 in terms of published lists of top games of the decade. Blackflag was mentioned in the top10 of two lists, but that was all my quick glimpse revealed. If AC2 was from this decade, it might or might not have featured in the top50, but only at the very bottom.

And talking about AC2, it's probably one of the games people would think of in reference to the question. It's a close second in my favorite AC list, behind Brotherhood, but even them don't quite reach that top tier level. They miss something. Even the best AC games miss something to elevate them. The series feel like as if everything they do, someone does it better. The combat, the open world, the narrative, the platforming. There's always someone better.

Think of the more recent ones: Origins and Odyssey. They feel like they are trying to play catch up. Following in the rut of a wagon made by better games. They are good games, great even, but they still miss something in my eyes. Something that would make me go to someone and say: you *must* play this game.

What do you guys think?

ps: I had some trouble with the thread's title. I didn't want to use masterpiece because I feel it might be too restrictive a term, and was thinking about top tier or first shelf. Something to indicate a category only the very best games are in. But then I felt those would be not restrictive enough. So I went with the former, but I actually mean the latter. There is a logic in here somewhere.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
2 is up there. It has its flaws, and has aged rather poorly, but at the time it was absolutely mindblowing.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Objectively speaking, I really can't call any of them a masterpiece. I've played every mainline game and adore the series to death but even Odyssey (which is my favourite so far) is a game that has too many flaws to truly call a "masterpiece".

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 is probably the closest for me, but it still isn't quite there, and it's the same deal with all of the others.

I've loved a lot of games in this series, but no I can't really consider any of them to be masterpieces.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I like Origins and Black Flag well enough but they're definitely not masterpieces -- way too flawed. I don't think you can be a masterpiece when the moment-to-moment combat is that limited and clunky.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I would say 2 is the closest but no in my opinion the series has not reached that level in my eyes.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Odyssey. Barely, but I'd say it qualifies for me.

The only real complaint I have is that there's too much of it. But that doesn't taint what is there for me. And most all of it works tremendously well.

But that's the only one.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's all opinion, but except from a few too many tailing quests, I think 4 was nigh on perfect. The ending with Kenway and his daughter riding of the ship... was very memorable to me,

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
2 came close, it's the one thats stuck with me through all the AC games.

Other games were good but none felt like a "masterpiece 10/10"

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
AC2, Brotherhood, Black Flag, Unity and Origins are absolutely masterpieces at their time and some still are.

Matush

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Out of hundreds games I've played, I only consider handful of them to be masterpiece. Sadly none in AC series. Closest one is definitely II and Brotherhood.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Either 2 or Brotherhood. Those are the closest to near perfect AC games.

Black Flag has the best ship combat but everything else is kinda...eh...

AC Origins and Odyssey are really good too, if a little bloated. None of the AC games are small by any means but those two games were some of the only two where I was like "there is no chance in hell I'm doing all there is to do in this game"

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Played some of them... but no.

But you know what, the concept of the franchise is incredible so that gets a 10/10.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
assassin's creed 2 and brotherhood. i prefer the storytelling tone of AC1, but imo the gameplay and world of 2 and brotherhood (even the multiplayer!) is some of the best stuff of that gen

GrayFoxBH

Nov 1, 2017
There are some decent games, like AC2. But masterpiece? No way. Very rare phew games can be called that.

To call any AC a masterpiece means that person have no idea what this industry is.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Hell no, not even close. II was a good game but after 3 I did not feel like bothering with this franchise anymore. I do have Odyssey lying around and if I ever give AC another shot, it'll be with that game since it got the best reception since II.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
There is not a way to describe to a modern gamer how revolutionary AC2 was. Everyone played it.

This will sound like an exaggeration, but it was like when Nintendo took Zelda from 2D to 3D. There had never been an open world game like AC2. Ubisoft made many promises about AC2, and they overdelivered.

The sad part is, you can explain how there were no good 3d games until Ocarina of Time. You cannot explain how there were no actually good open world games until AC2. AC2 arguably started a decade long trend of open world action games. The formula Ubisoft made was game changing at the time of release.

Sadly, the game aged horribly. RIP AC2, you changed the world.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
While I adore the Ezio trilogy of games, I think Odyssey is something else. Not only is it the best game in the series, it's one of the best games this gen. I even prefer it over Red Dead Redemption 2 and maybe even The Witcher 3.

The only slightly negative thing I have to say about it is that it never wanted to end.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I adore Origins, Odyssey, AC2 and Brotherhood. I also really like Black Flag. As someone who knew next to nothing about history and had no interest in ever learning about history, the Assassin's Creed franchise really got me interested in some of these time periods and shed light onto things I never knew. I still wish Origins was set earlier in Egypt's past but I loved the mythological elements and DLC. I think that's what I like so much about Origins and Odyssey the more mythological additions to history, plus I love the new combat systems - far more engaging and challenging than any of the prior games.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Hell no, not even close. II was a good game but after 3 I did not feel like bothering with this franchise anymore. I do have Odyssey lying around and if I ever give AC another shot, it'll be with that game since it got the best reception since II.
Black Flag is the one that got the best reception post-II (and possibly period), and I got the impression most people like Origins more as well. Odyssey has a great setting but the level system really drags it down.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
Masterpiece is a strong word, but Assassin's Creed 2 is perfect as a sequel and one of the best open world games I have played.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
None that I've played. They're fun, but they're not deep or meaningful enough for me to consider them anywhere close to a masterpiece. Actually legit excited for Valhalla though. Change my mind, Ubisoft.

Techno