Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about typos, spelling mistakes, grammar issues etc. For example, seeing on this forum stuff like:
  • "It's" when it should be "its"
  • "Your" when it should be "you're"
  • "There" when it should be "their"
  • "There" when it should be "they're"
  • "Should of/could of" instead of "should've/could've"
  • "Could care less" when it should be "couldn't care less"
  • "Defiantly" when it should be "definitely"
  • "An" when it should be "and"

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Everyone makes mistakes, I sure do. So no not really.

doe if u tlk lik dis we gonna have a bad time

Oct 25, 2017
It depends.
We all make mistakes, hell I make mistakes all the time.
Though if you type like you're smashing the keyboard, or use more Arabic numerals than letters, then that becomes an issue.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Yes. It drives me nuts. I used to occasionally try to turn it into a teachable moment if it seemed like the person might genuinely not know they were spelling something incorrectly, like if they used 'peaked' when they meant 'piqued', but I stopped doing that a long time ago because it seemed to be universally hated. 🤷‍♂️

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
Most of the common mistakes don't bother me, but for some reason "casted" and "costed" really gets under my skin. Also, I'm not sure why "sat" suddenly replaced all usage of "seated" and "sitting".

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, but it sometimes is really bad. People write "payed" instead of "paid", for example. Ugh.

The worst is when people try to act like they're smart or smarter than X, Y, or Z people/persons. And then they go "Well, I payed for this!".

It's a gentle reminder that people can make mistakes.

Does the missing "about" after "care" in the thread title count as an example?

Nope.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, though in recent years I've certainly become more understanding that many people don't have English as a first language.

What really grinds my gears, for whatever reason, is people inserting unnecessary words into media titles. Things like "Pokemon Legends of Arceus" or "The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess." Uggghhhhhhhh

Aug 31, 2019
Bother might be too strong a word, but I very much prefer to read proper grammar.
In all seriousness it's the principle of least surprise. I can read what you are writing if you spell things wrong or your sentences are structured oddly, in the same way that your brain can handle a lot of jumbled words. It's still more effort, not as pleasant, and to be real there are some people who I just genuinely cannot understand because their grammar is so bad I have no idea what they're trying to say.

Good spelling and grammar is not essential, but every little bit helps.

LumberPanda

Banned
Feb 3, 2019
if someone is being a dick and acting superior to others, then at least put some effort into not saying "could of"

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, not so much the little things. But the ones where someone writes something at it looks like they were actively falling down the stairs as they wrote it. I judge that pretty harshly.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
If someone is trying to write normally but they happen to make a spelling or grammar mistake, then it's not a big deal.

But then wen u haf ppl usin shorthand 4 every wrd it makes sentences unbearable to read. I have a friend who texts like this.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
It largely depends on the context.

If it's Discord or casual texting, who cares. Conversations are meant to be casual.

If the comment is meant to be light-hearted or amusing, dropping a period at the end of the sentence is common.

In other cases, it's better to use good grammar skills to help communicate your point across.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Only when it's their job to get it right. On forums / social media? Nah.

Also, people "uhm, akshually"-ing and correcting others online are the absolute worst. You'd better be 100% perfect at all times or you just look like an asshole.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
…um…yeah…

…sorry…I try not to comment but yeah, it bugs me…

Specifically things like lose/loose because they're two different words with different meanings and it throws me off while reading…

I recognize that I'm the shithead though so I try to keep it to myself…

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I really have to bite my tongue when I see people using "worse" and "worst" interchangeably.

Oct 25, 2017
Only really bothers me when it looks like someone is typing with their face.

"It's" and "its" bothers me by its existence.
"It's" can't be a possessive because it's a contraction, but apostrophes can indicate both on names just fine.
I get that it's the same as "Her" and "Hers" but "It" is the only pronoun whose same form can be both a possessive and contraction, so it feels awkward.

GulfCoastZilla

Alt account
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Back during my dating phase I would get turned off by improper grammar when first getting to know someone.

I don't care what type of bachelor degree you have and how much money you make if you can't tell the difference between too/to, where/ were and their/ there.

Sabestar

Aug 25, 2021
Context is important here for me

On the internet, no bother
At work, esp in an email, coming from higher ups? yes

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I used to, 20+ years ago. And I embarrassed myself correcting people on irrelevant things more than I should have, and then I finally grew up and matured from that.

I think another thing happened too, typing on the internet stopped being something that most people did on a precise, convenient, fast typing device like a computer keyboard, and moved to touchscreens. Slow, imprecise, mistake prone, requiring auto-correct and other failure-prone "features" that try to make it more convenient. I switched over to iOS about 2 years ago and I still don't know why it autocorrects some of the words, names, and other things it does, adding random capitalization, changing correctly typed words into incorrect words, I have no idea, and I've given up trying.

so because like ~75% or more words written by humans on the internet are typed using an imprecise piece of shit touch screen, I stopped caring. It's too hard and annoying to correct, and your phones will change words after you've sent them, and I can't expect people to go back and retroactively change that.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Oh, but something that DOES bug me is when people get a turn of phrase wrong. Like "snipped it in the butt" instead of "nipped it in the bud"

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
No. Unless it's repeatedly or done out of spite.

Affect vs Effect does get to me sometimes though, but only a little bit.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think being overly correct about grammar and spelling contributes to a bit of an arrogant tone I seemingly give off. Been trying to introduce emojis to my posts to lighten the mood 😜

I thought long and hard whether or not to put a full stop at the end of that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
nah, not really. i make mistakes myself that i don't catch until later, it is what it is. and english is a difficult, stupid language with many inconsistent rules, i have a lot of respect for ESL folks who are trying their best.

i have a much bigger issue when people ask very google-able questions, and then just wait an extended period of time for a response haha