Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
So only just noticed this but on my PS5 it seems Disney Plus isn't 4k but only 1080p, is this right?

I only noticed because I was on my XSX and noticed it showed streams upto 4k, HDR10, etc but on my PS5 it just says HD. I have the media remote for PS5 so that's been my go to device for Disney Plus but seems I have been missing out on 4k HDR as I can't seem to find a way to make it play on PS5 yet on my XSX it does it no problem. My PS5 plays all my games 4k/60 HDR and Netflix/Amazon/Apple all run 4k no problem just Disney Plus that's doesn't it seems.

Anyone else had/having this issue?

Edit:
A lot of people asking why I am using console apps and not built in apps.

1 - My display device is a 4k projector with a 120" screen, not a smart Tv/device it's only purpose is too produce a huge 4k image.

2 - I already got the media remote for PS5 and it has dedicated buttons to open apps I use Netflix/YouTube/Disney Plus etc so it's handy.

3 - My devices go through my AV receiver for sound and my cable connecting to the projector is a one way fibre optic HDMI due to the length it needs to be to pass 4k/60 hdr to the projector.

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't disney use dolby vision? might be a license issue. I don't think sony has paid dolby

Just checked and it does use dolby vision so if sony hasn't paid Dolby that's why

Last edited:

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Why is anyone with a 4k hdr TV even using a console for the apps. TV smart apps are so much damn better.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Why is anyone with a 4k hdr TV even using a console for the apps. TV smart apps are so much damn better.

Yes indeed. The apps for Youtube, Disney+, Prime and Netflix are perfect on my C9. Dolby Vision, 4K, everything's there.
The console apps are horseshit, at the least the last gen versions were and as example, Netflix always ran in fake HDR, the whole app, which made SDR stuff look weird. Once I've got my C9, console media apps were dead to me.

TerryLee81

Oct 26, 2017
On my Xbox Series X, 4k is only available with HDR turned on. I want 4k without HDR. I hope they patch this.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'll never rely on consoles for media apps, I have an Apple TV 4K and multiple Fire TV's throughout the house to cover those needs.

I do hope Sony allows for Dolby Vision so PS5 can get 4K for those that insist on using their consoles for media though.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
I'm only using it for hbo max since my lg oled doesn't have that app available, which is dumb since it's a new tv. Kinda annoying that I have to turn HDR off on the console everytime i use it though.

Oct 27, 2017
You're lucky it works. I installed Disney+ on my PS4 last night to browse and watch casual shit in here, before watching The Mandalorian S2 in my living room at 4K HDR. Fucking thing failed every single time. It has a buggy splash screen, then loads for about 15 seconds before giving me the "Something went wrong. Please try again later." error. I couldn't even get to the login screen. Deleted it several times, restarted the PS4, nothing. Deleted it for good and just waited for the living room to become free.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Disney+ is a bit of a mess in terms of format support across platforms. Android can't play back HDR on it anymore for some reason. Atmos randomly doesn't work for some people. PC doesn't have an app and the website limits you to 720p on most browsers.

Half the TVs around don't even support Disney+.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a TCL so that means built in Roku and I 100% agree with you.

The only exception was I used my One X for HBO Max due to Roku and HBO not coming to an agreement. Even that has changed now

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I have a TCL so that means built in Roku and I 100% agree with you.

The only exception was I used my One X for HBO Max due to Roku and HBO not coming to an agreement. Even that has changed now
Oh Max is in there now but it crashes everything!
my Roku premier and all my Roku tv's including my new 55S535 which I had to unplug to fix. Everything else Roku is my go to.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I've ditched all the PS apps with the purchase of my new TV. The LG CX apps all have worked great for my needs. If that's an option, maybe that's the way to go until Sony gets a native Disney+ app on the PS5.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not everyone's smart TV has Disney+
I was really looking forward to getting home after Christmas and finally getting to try Disney+ I'm 4K through my PS5, but I guess it's going to be impossible?

What? My daughter's 3 year old 4k 40" Samsung was updated with the Disney + app the day it was launched in the UK.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
Fire sticks cost like 30 bucks, have one in every room with every app you can think of and Dolby Vision. Doesnt make logical sense to me, spend 500 plus tax on PS5 but you don't have a TV, Roku, firestick, etc that supports Disney plus.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Not sure why you are being condescending. I'm just saying why wouldn't any smart TV have the app since a TV we've had for 3 years was updated with it. Every brand of smart TV I've seen has come with the app.
Okay well I can tell you for a fact that not every brand of Smart TV comes with Disney+ even 9 months later.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's easier to hook up headphones to the console. Even though I have a TCL tv with roku that lets me use my smartphone to hook up headphones to watch TV, there's still a ton of audio dropouts. The PS5 works much better with wireless headphones.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah, the consoles don't even output the content properly in 24hz, so quite why you'd want to watch it on there if you have a decent smart TV app is beyond me. Not to mention issues of forced HDR on SDR content etc.

Although I guess not everyone has a LG or Samsung and I realise other TV brand's apps often fall behind.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017

Guess I've never noticed a difference, so what is the difference and why is there a difference? I rarely use my consoles for TV apps, but when I do I'm not seeing anything drastically better from my TV smart apps or my Roku or Firesticks. Plus the console apps get more frequent updates, and I have at least one Vizio tv in my bedroom that doesn't get updates any more...

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
I have the app on ps5 and there is a section with 4K content
Yeah. This thread is confusing me.
While there is technically a section, if you actually click on the videos in the section, you'll see that the actual available output is HD and 5.1 channel sound. It's either a bug, an oversight, or something else, but the Disney Plus app on the PS4, which is the app on the PS5 by extension, has never supported 4K. It's a complaint that many people bring up (search on Google and you'll see Reddit threads about it) and Disney has not responded or fixed the issue. Every patch that they release, I cross my fingers that they fix the issue.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's related to what seems a bug currently in the app (since september/october) for Android TV (I guess for more devices too), that doesn't let me and many other people watch 4k and/or HDR on Disney+, we watched Solo thinking it wasn't available on UHD and then I noticed the extras tab said there was indeed UHD and Dolby support. I fired up the app on the XB1X and the film and yeah it was very different indeed.

I tried going back to previous versions of the Disney+ app on my tv and while many movies said to be on UHD then after playing them and going back to their cover pages it had gone back to only HD. Before september I've watcher several movies in UHD/Dolby with the same app but they broke it and maybe it has affected the PS4/PS5 app too.

Btw does anyone know if the xbox app does true Dolby Vision or if it's not dynamic and just an HDR container? Watching Mandalorian via the xbox it seems to fluctuate a lot in quality (at least dark scenes look like crap sometimes) while HDR seems static in brightness (again, some dark scenes are way too dark and subtitles do not vary in brightness as in other apps when using DV). The console is connected via ethernet to a 100mbps line. I thought Disney+ had better bitrate than Netflix.

There was a thread on this and, while I agree, there are sometimes bugs that prevent from using the native apps, or there aren't apps for given services on some tvs, or just personal preferences. I used my tv app for this service until I noticed the bug I mentioned above. Also and I've noticed this recently, tv apps have sometimes worse controls and tv proessors are way slower than some consoles and the experience ends up being worse.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York

For my setup, my TV will pass through a Atmos signal to my soundbar but its a low quality DD Plus Atmos. When I instead use my Xbox, directly connected to my sound system, it uses a much higher quality Dolby MAT Atmos. As soon as I used the TV app, this was a huge noticeable difference. So any app that uses Atmos, we go with the Xbox.