Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't dived into the video yet, but I wasn't aware that Digital Foundry was recommending a SSD for backward compatible games.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Good stuff external SATA SSD with a sabrent or high quality bridge sounds like the best solution for all your old Games.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So an external mechanical drive on Series X loaded a save faster than an external SSD on Xbox One X in FFXV.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
How on earth did we go an entire generation with the weak jaguar cores lol, even just decompressing data is a real eye opener as to the generational leap in CPU performance we are getting this gen.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Only thing left to test is new generation games

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting results. Glad i picked up some external ssds for $15 each at Walmart lol.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Hope they do something similar for PS5, now we know the USB port speeds, I want to know what the best solution will be for offloading PS4 games but still having them run as quickly as feasible.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The weirdest thing tho. It says that under the One X version. But not under the Series X version.
it doesn't say it under the xbox one footage either because it's just a subtitle explaining what the footage is - there's no point putting that subtitle on series x, one x and xbox one footage. if you look at the monster hunter footage as well it only has that written under the footage on the left.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way to get that version is physical, right? The digital version downloads the most recent patch along with the game download, doesn't it?
i'm not sure how digital downloads work on xbox, sorry. 😅 but the unpatched, "gold" version of unity is really, really rough. you would be trading a functioning game for 60fps. 😅

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not sure how digital downloads work on xbox, sorry. 😅 but the unpatched, "gold" version of unity is really, really rough. you would be trading a functioning game for 60fps. 😅
Damn, that's unfortunate. I wonder how hard it would be for developers to just patch current gen games with an optional unlocked frame rate option, I know Sucker Punch patched in frame rate options post launch of Second Son.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
This is my experience on PC as well. Game loads don't increase a lot on a faster SSD. I don't notice much difference between my NVME drive and my older SATA SSD. As long as it's on an SSD. Keen to see what velocity architecture / Sony's custom controller can do to change that on true next gen games.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
One thing to take into account is that PS5's USB ports run at 10Gbs speed vs 5Gbps on Xbox S/X. So results might be different on PS5.

That said, a cheaper NVME drive with external enclosure is same price as a SATA SSD in an external module. So might as well grab the NVME.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was extremely thorough I gotta say.

Rich's conclusion that the CPU is doing most of the heavy lifting is something that everyone that plays on both PC and consoles already knows. Over the years games on my PC have always loaded considerably faster than their console counterparts, even when only using a regular HDD.

Those Jaguar cores are just some serious trash.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's unfortunate. I wonder how hard it would be for developers to just patch current gen games with an optional unlocked frame rate option, I know Sucker Punch patched in frame rate options post launch of Second Son.
that would be ideal, i hope we see stuff like that, as long as they are careful to not break the 30fps options (see: ffxv's various modes on ps4 pro)

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Damn Rich didn't link the specific Sabrent adapter he has. I wonder if its the USB 3.0 version or the USB 3.1 as this was what I was learning towards for my cold storage solution (which SSD remains to be seen.)

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
it looks like with the SSDs even on the SS it's more often than not the CPU being the limiting factor for loading once you have a OK enough SSD that is;
but obviously this is running old unoptimized code for XB1.

I mean, apart from the copy/read test which is actually legit limited by the external SSDs own performance (particularly in terms of writes for that sata drive I would think) and in general the USB interface.

it's really nice to see such vast improvements over the old gen,
the CPU on the PS4XB1 was really bad, same for the laptop hard drive, it really was/is a nightmare for loading the games.

Oct 29, 2017
Damn Rich didn't link the specific Sabrent adapter he has. I wonder if its the USB 3.0 version or the USB 3.1 as this was what I was learning towards for my cold storage solution (which SSD remains to be seen.)

This is the one linked in the Eurogamer article (3.1 version):

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK

On Amazon UK 3.0 is £8 and 3.1 is £11 so not massive price difference just getting the 3.1 for peace of mind.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
On Amazon UK 3.0 is £8 and 3.1 is £11 so not massive price difference just getting the 3.1 for peace of mind.
Thanks, was just rewatching around the 4:30 mark and he states its the 3.1 version.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
just shows the gargantuan leap that spinning hdd was to ssd and how much smaller it is from an ssd to an NvMe

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the Sabrent adapter Richard used?

Amazon.com: Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA I/II/IIIHard Drive Adapter (EC-SSHD): Computers & Accessories

Buy Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA I/II/IIIHard Drive Adapter (EC-SSHD): SATA Cables - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
they do a USB 3.1 version (EC-SS31) and a USB-C 3.1 version (EC-HDSS)

Amazon.com: Sabrent USB 3.1 (Type-A) to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter [Optimized for SSD, Support UASP SATA III] (EC-SS31): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Sabrent USB 3.1 (Type-A) to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter [Optimized for SSD, Support UASP SATA III] (EC-SS31): Computers & Accessories

edit: nvm answered above