hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
Awesome! Like I said in the OT seems way more polished than survivor was at launch. I know different devs but both Star Wars games.

30fps graphics mode seems super solid too. I can't do 40fps on this TV. No way am I touching the performance mode.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Looks like 40 FPS mode is the way to go if your TV/monitor supports it.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Performance mode on XSX/PS5 essentially being the Series S mode's resolution and settings but at a 60 FPS target.

Series S getting all the raytracing features just like the others albeit only having 30 fps and no 40 fps (at least for now) is nice. The game practically looks identical across them all outside resolution. The BVH GI diff is the only big visual difference outside resolution it seems.

That said, none of those water reflections look good to my eyes. It looks splotchy and low res on all machines. It also seems like the post processing or motion blur or something is messed up with all that white shimmering happening.

Clear winner between the Series X or PS5?
no they're nearly identical. main difference might be VRR in performance mode (favoring xsx) or dualsense features (favoring ps5 ofc)

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I played an hour before work this morning but this was before the PS5 version got the day one patch and therefore the 40 fps option.

I was playing on quality and it is such a solid and smooth 30 fps I honestly thought the 40 fps was active and just adaptive - really great stuff.

Playing at 40 fps now and it is a joy.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Given how poor the IQ is across the board, the Series S version actually doesn't look that far removed from the other two consoles.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Love when games have a 40FPS mode and it's my one hope of things like the PS5 Pro. I know a lot of stuff wont get a bump to 60FPS based on what has been said but a 40FPS mode for the Pro would be more than enough for me

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Waiting for the DF video on the PC version. Will be nice to play this a few years from now with new hardware, as my 3070 may compromise the visual experience...
Game will be cheaper and more polished by then, at least Massive is not Respawn in that regard.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Man for "a remastered PS3 game" this game looks fantastic, as to be expected from Massive there's a lot of attention to detail. Looking forward to the PC video.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I hope these pre PS5 Pro titles are updated to support PSSR when that console releases. I assume that would help even with the 720p internal res (although the Pro would definitely run at above 720p internal res)
With how much time it took for DLSS and other upscaling methods to get good, I feel like we should wait and see if PSSR is going to be any good first, then hope for games to support it. Of course a higher internal res is going to be a MASSIVE help already for current solutions.

OP
OP
RandomlyRandom67
Jul 7, 2023
With how much time it took for DLSS and other upscaling methods to get good, I feel like we should wait and see if PSSR is going to be any good first, then hope for games to support it. Of course a higher internal res is going to be a MASSIVE help already for current solutions.
I don't expect it to be DLSS territory, but ANYTHING is better than FSR at this point lol (literally anything besides the older spatial upscalers)

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure this game looks stunning maxed on PC, but idk all three of these console modes look pretty bad to me just because of the poor image quality. Especially in areas with a lot of foliage.

It's hard to appreciate the high asset quality when there's exceesive pixel breakup, FSR fizzle etc. all over the screen.

I still think Massive did as best they could with these machines without compromising the visual style. And kudos to them for 40fps which I hope will become a standard option for any AAA game that has a60fps mode.

Last edited:

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
DF doin' god's work as always. Thank you guys. Will watch later. Anyone has a summary of 60fps modes stability?

Edit: Damn, had a peek, seems rough. Heh, maybe will wait for a patch or two.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does the cropped 21:9 mode get worse performance than the un-cropped 16:9? You lowered the vertical resolution and got worse performance how is that even possible?

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Absolutely hate that heavily pixelated grass in pretty much every game that has it (and this seems to have it in abundance).

Some of the upscaling techniques on console this generation lead to completely trash IQ. Really hoping the PS5 pro technique will combat it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Upscaling tech is both the best and worst advancement in modern graphics engines. This is one of those "in-between" cases.

Harmen

Aug 30, 2023
Unfortunately all these recent performance modes just look too fuzzy on my 55" 4k tv.

Game looks good though, and I have gotten used to 30 fps again. if it's solid and doesn't have overt motion blur, my brain perceives it as smooth after 15 minutes or so.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
How does the cropped 21:9 mode get worse performance than the un-cropped 16:9? You lowered the vertical resolution and got worse performance how is that even possible?
could've been my eyes playing tricks on me and youtube compression, but to me it seemed like the resolution was slightly sharper (was looking at things in the background that might break up or artifact from fsr) in the 21:9 mode. Even if it's just cropped, it seemed like the dynamic resolution pushed up a little bit in that cropped area and maybe the total pixels in 21:9, even cropped, outnumbers the filled in screen. That's my only guess. Doesn't really make sense otherwise

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but the IQ is just abysmal.

Also the 21:9 being just overlays...

Yohokaru

May 27, 2024
I need around five seconds of Horizon Forbidden West gameplay to show you, that it's Massive's incompetence, not the need for PS5 Pro.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Cant tell if its YouTube compression or the game, but man even the Quality modes do not look great in terms of IQ. Its a tough video to have Tom praising the game in his writing, when all the footage just looks so underbaked

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I need around five seconds of Horizon Forbidden West gameplay to show you, that it's Massive's incompetence, not the need for PS5 Pro.
I need around five seconds to explain that Horizon isn't using half of the same techniques and technologies that Outlaws is and this is like trying to compare a slice of pizza with a jar of pickles.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Sometimes I feel like we never got past the resolution and image quality problems we had since the 360/PS3 days.

I'm legitimately curious just how many graphical features would have to be stripped out for native 4k/60.