Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The fact that Bubsy has connections to both the beginning of Naughty Dog and Bend Studio is kind of nuts.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
Tubelectric from Jazz Jackrabbit is so good.
...don't actually have anything to say about Bubsy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to watch this. I grew up in peak mascot wars and rented every bad mascot game, and Bubsy was one of the best of the worst.

lol, forgot about Acrobat

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't what I pictured in my head when John said he wants to do videos with more of a documentary style. Guess I didn't know what I really wanted, LOL.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Bubsy's no Earthworm Jim, but he's a real cool cat.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Ha wow, leave it to John to do an actual all out DF Retro episode instead of just a quick gag video. Amazing work, cool guest too and I loved the 'ad breaks' :D

Though I can't say I agree on Bubsy 1 at all, I found it maddening and unrewarding even when attempting to play it slowly...still it looks like a masterpiece compared to what came later. Funny thing is I feel like Bubsy 2 got a marginally better reputation than the first in recent years, maybe owing to the introduction of hit points. It does look messy as hell though aye, and wow at the performance D:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope Ulillillia the based god received a shoutout.

Feb 12, 2019
Even as an April Fools joke, I think you might've taken Bubsy too seriously John. Still, I will never say no to more DF Retro.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
You should, though! It's not just a throw-away joke video, that's for sure.
I was joking. I've been watching it since that post. I'm loving you listing all those ancient mascots, Pokemon-style.

I haven't reached the end yet, but I imagine Bubsy 3D will also be featured. Can't wait.

Anyway, entertaining and informative as always. Good job, my man.

Edit: and here we go, Bubsy 3D!
Edit: oh man, you just made me kind of care for the work that went into Bubsy 3D. Now that was unexpected, I thought you were just going to trash that game hard.

Last edited:

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Hey, you could have just made some silly April's fool video but you actually did something good with it! Great content and now want to play Bubsy...

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
So the Bubsy crap on steam are SNES emulated, aren't they? All while the definitive version of the only somewhat decent Bubsy game was already on PC.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So the Bubsy crap on steam are SNES emulated, aren't they? All while the definitive version of the only somewhat decent Bubsy game was already on PC.
Yep. That Windows 95 version deserves a proper re-release...but with lots of fixes since it definitely does not work properly on anything above Win95/98.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. That Windows 95 version deserves a proper re-release...but with lots of fixes since it definitely does not work properly on anything above Win95/98.
Wonder if it also has dubious rights, making it impossible to have a re-release. It would've been so much easier if there was a DOS version. But it appears to be windows only...

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if it also has dubious rights, making it impossible to have a re-release. It would've been so much easier if there was a DOS version. But it appears to be windows only...
Possibly. The whole thing is so weird since ATi ported it. It has a ton of issues, though. I've tried on so many machines and it really doesn't work well on most of them. Seems to want very specific hardware.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Well now we now know what dark1x's fursona is. Good video, was hoping ulilililia would get a mention and he did.

Dark do you plan to do a video for the mister? You mentioned you didn't have one yet in the mega sg video but seemed interested in it. I'm curious to see how accurate it is as it's gotten lots of praise.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well now we now know what dark1x's fursona is. Good video, was hoping ulilililia would get a mention and he did.

Dark do you plan to do a video for the mister? You mentioned you didn't have one yet in the mega sg video but seemed interested in it. I'm curious to see how accurate it is as it's gotten lots of praise.
Maybe so if I pick one up. I would like to. Just need to look into it first.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Having played bubsy 1 snes last year, id really widh i had learned programming so i could rework that game into something less tedious xp