chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Alex Battaglia presents a very personal take on a potentially phenomenal game. Star Citizen has already been in development for years, and it's still far from complete. But what Cloud Imperium has achieved is already quite phenomenal. This is one potential vision for next-gen gaming, and a PC exclusive to boot - here's our first look at a remarkable game.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to a vast library of pristine quality downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Every once in a while I'ldl boot this up, always seems really cool and every time I almost actually play the game lol. Wish it ran better on my hardware though.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Alex might have just sold me on this game. It really is shaping up to be the game every space-loving kid dreamed of playing in the 90s.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely some cool tech in this game and it's nice to see a thread covering it on a technical level. I really hope it makes it.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
This was a good video.

They should have noted that the project consistently miss pretty much every deadline they set. The jury is still out if this will ever release.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's hilarious how many people get angry about this game in other threads, I look forward to this thread either dying or devolving into that.

On-topic: Thanks DF for covering this, I'm in awe every time I look at this game.

This was a good video.

They should have noted that the project consistently miss pretty much every deadline they set. The jury is still out if this will ever release.

You're about a year behind on this. They've been hitting deadlines consistently for awhile now.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
How long has this been in the making now? Feels like I've heard about it since like 2012 (unsure of development was happening already or not).

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Man I need to load this up again to see if my PC can handle it. I had no idea about the facial mapping via webcam thing. Some of the systems in here are damn impressive.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Next year when I build a new pc I'll give this a try again. It's been years since I last did, but it did not like my 4690K and 390X.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
This was a good video.

Yeah that's my problem with it. I know it's DF and they're focused on the tech aspects, and from the angle of what you can achieve with modern hardware and thus what we might see with next gen consoles, it's legit to cover it. But to not even touch on its ridiculous development period and the controversy (that's justly deserved) makes this come across as promotional.

That development hell ties into the technical argument as well! Is this really a preview of what we can expect when we're looking at something that has cost a quarter of a billion so far and may be a decade before a first release? I mean I doubt actual established studios would have the clusterfuck of management that is partly/mostly responsible for this mess, but the scale of the project at least deserves cursory mention if you're going to imply this is what we should be expecting in the coming years.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah that's my problem with it. I know it's DF and they're focused on the tech aspects, and from the angle of what you can achieve with modern hardware and thus what we might see with next gen consoles, it's legit to cover it. But to not even touch on its ridiculous development period and the controversy (that's justly deserved) makes this come across as promotional.

They're interested in the tech, they aren't interested in the "scam calling", shitposting, fanboy wars, that people like to do with this game. It's not their job to police development of video games, it's their job to talk about the technology.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Was wondering when they'd approach this! Definitely one of the most stunning things I've seen running on hardware in real time, it's hard to believe the scale of this game sometimes.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Interesting! Putting the hater-boner aside for a moment, whether it eventually gets completed or not the tech on display really is an exciting example of next gen possibilities. It's like a wet dream tech demo for PC hardware and graphics nerds.

Tracking facial movements in voice chat looks fuckin crazy...also jumping from one ship to another spinning in space. The use of SSD to seamlessly load shit during gameplay, the abilitity to maintain players' frame of reference over absolutely vast distances and absurd speeds, etc. It's like someone went back to the 90s and took all the ambitions for the space-sim genre and tried to throw them into one game.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
They're interested in the tech, they aren't interested in the "scam calling", shitposting, fanboy wars, that people like to do with this game. It's not their job to police development of video games, it's their job to talk about the technology.
People "like to do" that with this game because it's a game that's in 'alpha' and being in development for 8 years and costing 250 million. To act like this is simply an online pile-on campaign like gamergate is ludicrous.

Like I said, cursory. When you mention 'it's achieved this already in alpha' and you fully know the context of what that means in this case and just let that sit out there, come the hell on.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People "like to do" that with this game because it's a game that's in 'alpha' and being in development for 8 years and costing 250 million. To act like this is simply an online pile-on campaign like gamergate is ludicrous.

And why exactly does this matter? Rockstar spends more man-hours on its own games than Star Citizen has so far, and I don't see people calling those scams. Has there been shifting targets? Definitely. But things have been proceeding smoothly in regards to Star Citizen for years now, they've hit targets for the vast majority of their alpha builds recently which is more than many AAA games can accomplish.

So yes, your argument is silly.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
*blinks* so its an mmo? I thought we were going to get a single player campaign? Didnt they hire actors and everything??

If its just an mmo, I'm out, no thanks.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing. Does this still need to be installed on an SSD for decent framerate?

Ah nvm just saw the recommended specs.

*blinks* so its an mmo? I thought we were going to get a single player campaign? Didnt they hire actors and everything??

If its just an mmo, I'm out, no thanks.

Squadron 42 is the singleplayer game.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
And why exactly does this matter? Rockstar spends more man-hours on its own games than Star Citizen has so far, and I don't see people calling those scams.
The plural of game(s) doing a lot of work there. Yes I will grant you Rockstar has probably spend more more-hours on several massive, completed games than this single game still in alpha. Great point.
Has there been shifting targets? Definitely. But things have been proceeding smoothly in regards to Star Citizen for years now, they've hit targets for the vast majority of their alpha builds recently which is more than many AAA games can accomplish.
lol

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

SR7212

Avenger
Aug 17, 2018
That looks great. I've always been impressed by the Digital Foundry logo.

Now to watch the rest of the video.

Jul 17, 2018

Good you linked that

pNHs2jZ.png

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
"All of these things are just a fraction of the larger technical achievements the game has already made in its alpha form"

Oh come the fuck on. It's been in development for 8 years and 250 million spent so far, to not give context what 'alpha' means in this case is ridiculous.

So first, it's been exactly 7 years since the kickstarter and what had been done for said kickstarter has been scrapped almost immediately (and a bunch of things made later too to be honest).

As for the 250 millions. That's what the project has raised as of now yes. But that doesn't mean it's been completely spent yet. The fact that they are still working on it and Chris Robert has not left the US to hide in some island tend to say that they probably have some spare money left.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great vid Dictator. Kinda funny seeing my char on screen for some brief moments. It was a great time to make this. Happy to be a part of both this project and this vid :)

Also look forward to all the trolls yelling SCAM at the top of their lungs, or calling all the stuff just shown unimpressive.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Something about this game intrigues me. I've watched an architect on Youtube review expensive ships in the game and ever since then videos about it pop up in my recommendations and often pique my interest.
However, everything I've seen about this game looked rather uninteresting when I'm looking at it as a game.
I don't like the art style, nor the sci-fi vision that lies behind the world they are creating.

I'm fascinated by the ambition behind this game, by the controversy around it, not by any actual gameplay footage I've seen so far.
I don't think it will be a good game in the traditional sense. Definitely interesting to follow, though.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I do hope both Star Citizen's Persistent Universe and all episodes of Squadron 42 make their way to PS5 and Scarlett. And I say that having a gaming PC that will probably run both at 1440p/60/ultra (if not 1080p).

Last edited:

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Like I said, cursory. When you mention 'it's achieved this already in alpha' and you fully know the context of what that means in this case and just let that sit out there, come the hell on.
Okay, but welcome to Chris Roberts?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I still have my Star Citizen founder card from that kickstarter twelve million years ago.

I still have yet to download one of the test clients. I'm holding out for a 1.0 version.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Considering the, ah, let's say, aggressive monetization this game has had over their ship designs, I am a little surprised that it apparently is making good progress now, but good for them I guess. looking forward to the decade where i might get a chance to play it

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Putting all the various controversies aside, that bit where he jumped to the spinning ship was nuts, next gen is gonna be wild.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017

That development hell ties into the technical argument as well! Is this really a preview of what we can expect when we're looking at something that has cost a quarter of a billion so far and may be a decade before a first release? I mean I doubt actual established studios would have the clusterfuck of management that is partly/mostly responsible for this mess, but the scale of the project at least deserves cursory mention if you're going to imply this is what we should be expecting in the coming years.

I did think there was missing something about how long some of these important backend systems have been promised, and they are still not here.

Also, for the record (not direct at you) The project has missed a deadline this year when Squadron 42 was delayed for the nth time this August. The release is now apparently in mid 2020. We`ll see.

So they are still slipping when it comes to promised features. regardless of what some might suggest.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

Nah, it's just that i would like the shit talkers to have their facts straight. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and beliefs, i have no issue with that. I'd just like people to stop throwing bullshit around. There's enough problems with the project that you should not have to repeat wrong things over and over again to talk shit. ;)

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fucking tired of GAMER reactions to Star Citizen in particular, but any crowdfunded game development process, really. Note that I do not have any stakes in this. I didn't spend a single dollar on SC (I'm merely interested in an eventual realease).
Making big games takes a long time. Scope changes, a lot. There's hundreds of products, which ended up as something entirely different than what they have been pitched. The difference with these kind of projects is, that it doesn't happen in a black box. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, that sucks, but kickstarter isn't a store.