eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Jaleco might have something to say about those sprites.

Also, CRT filters on graphics that just weren't possible in the 80s rub me the wrong way.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Weird hangup considering consumer-grade flatscreens didnt show up until 1997 & didn't outsell the CRT until 2003

CRTs have been used in arcade games all the way into the 2000s and beyond

Sure, but by then "Namco arcade font" wasn't, for example. 320x240 wasn't etc.

the hangup is not on the CRT filter itself, what I'm saying is it takes more than a CRT filter.
This is a weird mix of 1987/88 aesthetics (also a product of the technical limitations of the time) with tech that wouldn't have been available until much later.

It's philologically inaccurate. It's a mashup of things from different decades that couldn't have existed in the 80s and wouldn't have coexisted in the 90s and adding a CRT layer on everything doesn't make it more convincing.

It's like those indie games that went for NES aesthetics but then included 16 layers of parallax scrolling and mode 7 effects. If you're going for a specific look, stick to it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Sure, but by then "Namco arcade font" wasn't, for example. 320x240 wasn't etc.

the hangup is not on the CRT filter itself, what I'm saying is it takes more than a CRT filter.
This is a weird mix of 1987/88 aesthetics (also a product of the technical limitations of the time) with tech that wouldn't have been available until much later.

It's philologically inaccurate. It's a mashup of things from different decades that couldn't have existed in the 80s and wouldn't have coexisted in the 90s and adding a CRT layer on everything doesn't make it more convincing.

It's like those indie games that went for NES aesthetics but then included 16 layers of parallax scrolling and mode 7 effects. If you're going for a specific look, stick to it.
Sure, but "graphics that are a mashup of different time periods" isnt a synonym for "CRT filters on graphics that just weren't possible in the 80s" in any way shape or form

gebler

Oct 27, 2017

I'm curious about the tech limitations you feel would have made it impossible in the 80's. It's styled as an arcade game, and arcade games were potentially more flexible in terms of hardware – things that would have been impossible on a contemporary home console/computer could be possible (albeit expensive) by adding more hardware.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Sure, but "graphics that are a mashup of different time periods" isnt a synonym for "CRT filters on graphics that just weren't possible in the 80s" in any way shape or form

No, you're right that was a weird way to phrase it in my post. I just skipped a few steps in my line of thought.
It's not the filter per se, it's the idea that running everything through a CRT filter would make it look authentic. A way to mask the inconsistent philological accuracy of it.

I'm curious about the tech limitations you feel would have made it impossible in the 80's.

I mean, you could do basically anything in the arcades in theory, sure. Semantics aside, if you're making a game meant to look like an arcade from the 80s, you don't mean "like an arcade from the 80s, BUT running on a board unlike anything else available at the time, using tech from the late 90s".

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about the tech limitations you feel would have made it impossible in the 80's.

I mean, you could do basically anything in the arcades in theory, sure. Semantics aside, if you're making a game meant to look like an arcade from the 80s, you don't mean "like an arcade from the 80s, BUT running on a board unlike anything else available at the time, using tech from the late 90s".

I haven't played the game yet, just watched the video, but it's not obvious to me why it would require "tech from the late 90s". What is the game element(s) you feel requires late 90s technology, and what technology would that be?