Which game deserved to be 2011's Game of the Year?

• Portal 2

Votes: 1,572 54.3%
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Votes: 352 12.2%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 696 24.0%
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Votes: 89 3.1%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Votes: 64 2.2%
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Votes: 66 2.3%
  • Another game not listed

Votes: 58 2.0%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to part 3 of the Community GOTY Revisited series, where we take a look back at the top games of past GOTY results threads from the other site and decide if the community got it right. See also the 2016 and 2014 editions.

Both the 2016 and 2014 threads ended with decisive re-affirmations of their respective GOTYs. But this time, it may be different. 2011 was an interesting year for the GOTY threads, as I believe it's the only year where the community #1 pick was not the game that got the most #1 votes (that being Skyrim.) Portal 2 nevertheless won the title because it was on more lists. The critics' choices, on the other hand, weren't even a contest, with Skyrim demolishing the competition. And then there's Dark Souls, the reputation of which has only grown since 2011, and is famously one of the community's favorite games. So, this poll may be competitive this time.

So, did Portal 2 deserve the title? Time for you to vote and make your pick. I think I'm actually going to say yes here, as I liked the game quite a bit.

As usual, I've taken the six choices in the poll directly from the GOTY results thread on the other site. These are the top 6 as voted by the community back in 2011.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it did. It was good, but not amazing. Uncharted 3 is my pick with Skyrim being a close second.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I see Greg Miller already voted for Uncharted 3 in the poll

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Yes. No doubt.

Amazing and creative game on the game world and puzzle formula. I love that game

Oct 29, 2017
Yes,

It was completely fantastic the entire way through. The writing was excellent and it was just perfectly designed. U3 doesnt even deserve to be on that list.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but Dark Souls also deserves it. Both are incredible games, and I wouldn't be able to pick one over the other.

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love Dark Souls so i would argue that it also deserved GOTY but yeah Portal 2 is absolutely ok in my book

such an incredible game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think Dark Souls is the better game, but Portal 2 definitely deserved to be in the running, so I have no problem with it getting the GotY.

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex Human Revolution is my favorite game of that year. Amazing atmosphere with its soundtrack, many ways to approach the missions.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Ehhh it's close. Dark souls sparked my love for rpg's. While portal 2 is the greatest puzzle game ever made and as a man who doesn't like puzzles in games it had me hooked the whole time.

Edit: I did vote of dark souls tho

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is that playing the co-op with my dad is one of my favorite gaming memories. The single player didn't leave as much of an impression on me, although it was definitely good.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to imagine the monster that played Portal 2 incl. the co-op mode and left not believing it was the best game of 2011.

roboleon

random guy on the internet
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking amazing game, and tbh, every GOTY winner ever has deserved to be GOTY in it's respective year

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'd go with Deus Ex Human Revolution, but I also haven't played Portal 2 since launch so my memory of it is pretty hazey.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Like the Uncharted 4 and Dark Souls 3 thread, no, Dark Souls was way better but you can't expect the general population that giggles at cake is a lie to think that.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very good game but not as good as the first and certainly not as good as the more influential GOAT contender Dark Souls.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim to me. Over 1200 hours in that game (I get about 300 out of each character), and it still feels so comfortable to start again. Happily got all the achievements for the original version and the remaster.

Portal 2 is good though. Great story. I wish the puzzles were a bit harder in the sense that you figure out the puzzle pretty fast (the only one that got me stuck for awhile was a puzzle that just needed quick mechanics, which I'm not great at).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Dark Souls is an objectively better game, but I still chose Portal. It was so focused.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. Add very little to the original both in terms of puzzles and narrative (that wasn't as funny as people made it out to be). The puzzles weren't challenging enough, you were always following the same basic patterns. The initial change of setting was refreshing but the later parts were visually unimpressive.
But I have accepted that I'm in the minority with this one and probably the game just didn't click with me

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Waiting for the eventual "Did Ocarina of Time deserve to be 1998's game of the year" thread.

And yes, Portal 2 was great.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Dark Souls and Skyrim had a bigger long term impact, but Portal 2 would still be my pick at that time.