chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I recently watched this DYKG video on Super Mario 64. They posted some facts on the development of Super Mario 128 and one of these caught my interest. Apparently during early 00s, Shigeru Miyamoto wanted to shake off Mario's reputation of being a kid-friendly character. I could not find the source of this alleged statements on the video description but they might have come from the infamous Japanese Playboy interview he did in 2003.

Skip to 11:49 in case it starts from the beginning.

Miyamoto wanted Mario to ditch the iconic V sign he always did back then and make him laugh and smile less.

I post this thread because i suspect that this manifested during the Gamecube era as a sorta milder edgy phase for Mario.

Hear me out. The very first proper Mario title released on the Gamecube was Super Mario Sunshine.

15327_front.jpg

Every region had this Mario render front and center on the box cover so this wasn't merely just a case of pandering to western audiences.

Why isn't he smiling? What is he pointing to? Was this pose meant to make Mario look more determined and tougher than usual? This is strange coming from the happy-go-lucky and smiling Mario featured prominently on the box art of previous mainline Mario entries.

7800_front.jpg
14630_front.jpg
14853_front.jpg

With the exception of most the Mario Party games, there are very few Gamecube game featuring Mario that have him smiling on the boxart.

O4uggqt.jpg

Now this may be of a reach, but during the majority of the 00s, you can see a rise in this more stoic looking Mario in official 3D renders. Because its hard to pinpoint the exact year these renders of Mario originated from, I usually base their age on the quality of the renders. Back in the 20000s, Nintendo used more harsher lighting and shadows when rendering 3D Mario character art.

The Super Mario Wiki has a pretty large gallery of 3D Mario art used for games and promotional purposes.

If you skim through the 3D sections of the gallery, you can see how a rise of the renders of Mario from the 2000s that had him looking more stoic and cooler looking than usual. More so than in later and earlier eras of 3D Mario.

483px-Marioposing.png
325px-Mario_SM64DS_art.png
800px-MKDS_Mario_and_B_Dasher_Cover_Artwork.png

Again, I say this is a reach because you can see just as much of not more renders of Mario from this era smiling and giving off his classic jovial appearance.

259px-Mario_Artwork_-_Mario_Party_6.png
558px-Mario_and_Hover_Nozzle_SMS.png
701px-MKDS_Mario_and_Standard_Kart_Side_View.png

My main gist of this is that there was a time where Nintendo wanted to portray Mario and the Mario series as being more mature than in previous eras of the franchise. Miyamoto had a lot of influence in the direction of the franchise at that time. If he wanted Mario to stop throwing his once-iconic V sign...

480px-Mario_Victory_Pose_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_64.png

Then you damn sure we'll never see Mario do that ever again.

If he wanted Mario to appeal to a wider audience, then perhaps this manifested in how Mario is depicted in promotional art and marketing.

I doubt Nintendo today would feature Mario with a tattoo to advertise a special edition of the Switch,

334.png

2000s was a really weird time for Mario.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I'd call those edgy...it's not like his actual appearance or the subject matter of his games became any darker. Probably the only Mario game that would remotely apply to is Strikers

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like that was when they were the most uncaring about how Mario was used and just let people do whatever.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The man literally has no edges. He's round and friend-shaped.

The best attempt was maybe Mario Strikers
05864c154ae4e6d5519af64dd06f9387.jpg

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I think it was just an extension of the old Kirby thing, where he was always mad on American boxes/happy on Japanese ones -- somebody in Nintendo of America marketing in the 2000s thought frowning was cool.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It seems like that was when they were the most uncaring about how Mario was used and just let people do whatever.

Yeah, it's this. In the 2010s Nintendo became very actively involved in maintaining consistency in Mario's brand image and giving restrictions to non-EPD developers. During the 2000s they seemed to just let individual developers do whatever they want. You'll never get a game like Super Paper Mario under modern Nintendo.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Im shocked that OP didnt include any image from the strikers series.

Thats must be the only game in the entire franchise that I would call 100% edgy and the funnny thing is that it worked perfectly

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
They should have ditched the Items and just given him a Handgun for Mario Kart instead

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It was the 00s so it came with the territory. It wasn't that Nintendo tried to make Mario in a way that said "hey let's turn it up on them dude they'll love how badass and sick Mario is", they just said "ok let's do this and boom it works" because that's how people thought back then. It was the norm.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
GTA3 came out in 2001 and changed everything.

One of Naughty Dog's co-founders explained it best: GTA came out the same year as Jak 1 and the kids thought GTA was cooler. Hence you get Jak 2 and 3. It's unsurprising Nintendo felt some of the pressure to conform to the new cool.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I can believe that they tried sure, especially as this was truly the era of KIDDY vs MATURE

I still laugh at that one Iwata Asks for Mario Galaxy where Yakota composed a bunch of tracks and Miyamoto had him throw 'em out for being too cute when Mario is COOL

Jul 16, 2020
Yes. Shortly before Mario Sunshine's reveal, Nintendo intimated that we would be seeing a more "mature" Mario. We got short sleeves and scowls. I'm glad the edgy 2000s are long gone.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
GTA3 came out in 2001 and changed everything.

One of Naughty Dog's co-founders explained it best: GTA came out the same year as Jak 1 and the kids thought GTA was cooler. Hence you get Jak 2 and 3. It's unsurprising Nintendo felt some of the pressure to conform to the new cool.
i always think about that interview

Can you talk us through how you came up with the concept for Jak II after the last game?

Rubin:
Even though we did really well with the first, we wanted to mess with the formula. If you look at what's popular now, things have changed. It's not like the days of Crash 1 and 2 when character action games ruled the world. They have to fight harder these days.

We've moved the entire atmosphere of the game to a higher age group. Gamers like me are still playing. I'm 33 and what I want now is very different from what I wanted ten years ago. Ten years ago you didn't have the choice to play Grand Theft Auto. You played Mario because Mario was what's available.

Well, Pandora's box has opened and younger kids want to play what older kids are playing and older kids are playing Grand Theft Auto.

This isn't about saving a princess; it's about revenge, betrayal. You might think that doesn't sound original, but think of Mario going out for revenge, or Sonic. It's not a character action thing to do.

Jak's changed a lot. He's older, he's been to prison and he's angry. Jak is not a character action hero of the past. Everything in the game is changed. You can use stuff at any time. And I mean that: if you're on a tiny platform and you pull it out, you'll die - we're not going to prevent you from doing that. You have to think things through differently.

Then there's the angry mode, where you become Dark Jak. It's a little like Hulk without the bulk.

As you said, people's tastes have changed. Whereas ten years ago, Mario was the biggest thing on the planet, people want to play Vice City now.

Rubin:
I stood in line watching two kids who must've been between seven and nine. They were going to their Mum: "It's so cool! You get to pick up hookers!" And the mum just said: "That's cool. We'll be going home soon." If they're getting those games, that's where the world is right now.
The first Jak and Daxter was heavily influenced by games like Mario 64, and was quite twee and colourful in relation to Jak II. Mario Sunshine, a game in the traditional twee style, performed below expectations - did that have any impact on the direction you were taking Jak II in?

Rubin:
It definitely redoubled my belief that you have to push the genre forward, because when I put that game in and expected Miyamoto greatness, and the characters came out saying: "Bloop! Bloop! Bloop!" I was like, that is 1997. I don't need that in 2003.

Give me a character with a voice and a personality, and more of a cinematic experience. Don't give me Mario from 15 years ago. They just haven't moved on; that's not their focus. I think its very hard for Miyamoto to both run Nintendo - which he does to a certain extent - and get into the game design.
Jak and Daxter was a more colourful, generic platformer than Jak II, but you've stated you're aiming for a broader age group with this. How will you convince older gamers to not just dismiss this as just another platformer?

Rubin:
It's obviously important that Sony gets this point across. But once you pick it up, the intensity of the gunplay, the availability of options, the quality of the story and character design will appeal to older audiences. We just have to get them to pick it up.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'd call those edgy...it's not like his actual appearance or the subject matter of his games became any darker. Probably the only Mario game that would remotely apply to is Strikers
I'm pretty sure Nintendo said sunshine got prerendered cutscenes and voice acting because they wanted sunshine to be more mature ironically

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't think so.

I actually love this ad.

Teenage me was like why would they make an ad like this when Nintendo had such an image problem. Ironically this is a parody of a really old commercial and you'd have to have probably been in like your 30's to appreciate the humor. In hindsight this commercial would have theoretically appealed to adults as like a laughable throwback. Whoever came up with that ad referenced something that could only be appreciated by much much older audience than say 15-29 year olds.

I actually liked this commercial for my tastes. But I will never forget the very next day a friend going "please tell me you aren't getting Mario Sunshine."

Oh and lastly I do remember a lot of interviews about Mario becoming a little more mature. When I saw Sunshine and the more realistic setting I assumed thats what it was all about. I'm grateful for it too. That tropical setting everywhere does all kinds of good things for my soul and I could use more of that. Galaxy was neat mix of realistic and abstract to me, mario platforms in the vastness of realistic outer space is wonderful. The 3D Land, 3D World, and NSMB esthetic has worn thin over the years but I was longing for that during the Gamecube era. Glad Odyssey went with a mix of realistic and abstract environments and worlds.

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Mario doesn't even smile in Super Smash Bros. Brawl outside of maybe one victory animation.

They moved away from that in Smash 4, but it was so weird lol.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Can't wait for the edgy new Switch Model that gets an ad showing Mario having a "Bad Motherfucker" Tattoo on his Dick.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario had every right to be pissed. Dude went to take a tropical vacation, got arrested for a crime he didn't commit, forced to do community service, and doesn't even get as much as an apology or thanks.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I learned that Miyamoto always wanted Mario to be "cool" from this video.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Odyssey confirmed that tattoo Mario is a different Mario, he's the bigger Luke of Nintendo conspiracy theories

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it wrong that I unironically really like the Strikers art style?
Not at all. Strikers' art style is so distinct and memorable that everyone used to draw fan art that emulated its style. Still one of the most awesome depictions of the Mario series and proof of how flexible the character designs of the series is that they make it look good. I wish we'd get another game.

446px-MSC_Scene.jpg

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

Nah. Mario never really tried to be edgy aside maybe Strikers. Sunshine and Double Dash are like the least edgy games ever.

Edit - If that timestamp works, it's George Harrison talking about how Nintendo's characters will not change to fit the trends of edginess.

OP
OP
chaobreaker

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm bumping this thread because I found a interesting video on the subject of the removal of Mario's peace sign.

The video creator argues that a frustrated Miyamoto was concerned how exclusively child-friendly Mario was becoming and used his clout in Nintendo to ban the use of the peace sign in the mid-to-late 90s.

It used this translated Miyamoto interview that has points similar to the other interview DYKG sourced in their own video.

It's pretty obvious that Miyamoto was not happy with what his character has become at this time. To this day he still calls himself the father of Mario. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he used this influence to make Mario appear more tougher in promotional material around this time. It's only when he focused on other projects or handed the series to other senior Nintendo employees that we saw the return of the peace sign.