NANA

Oct 26, 2017

Has hell frozen over? Sonic the Hedgehog is now playable - to a certain extent - on Super NES. Thanks to the development work of TiagoSC, a demo exists of Sonic 1 for SNES, built on original Sonic Team code adapted and optimised for SNES. Unlike today, pixel-for-pixel identical ports aren't possible - SNES was a very different machine to Mega Drive/Genesis - so there are necessary differences, which makes the port all the more fascinating.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
This is, honestly, incredible.

I know there's been changes to make it work, but that's still incredible.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of wish Spring Yard Zone would have been chosen for the demo instead of Green Hill, since that'd be more of a litmus test for the physics. Like you have that spring at the start that sends you flying up the wall which then seamlessly transitions into running on the ceiling, bouncing on a bunch of bumpers, etc. So far everything in Green Hill checks out and the only discrepancy I noticed in footage outside of DF was that the breaking mechanic looked sort of janky with how you decelerate.

There's a semi recent hack based on the infamous Hummer Team bootleg Somari for NES that was turned into a very competent Sonic port.

Hands up if you ever played "Sonic 4", the Speedy Gonzales ROM hack.

S̵̡̛̹̼̝͉̰̺̠̣̼̒͌̿̔̀̀̒̕͜͠͠Ờ̵̺̝̠̻̠̫̯͍͕̟̟͒́̄̔́͆͐̓̒͝Ņ̶̢̼̜̮̼̭̹̺͂͘ͅÌ̸͔̮͇͗̕͠C̷̨̢̡͓͖̘̼̹̼̪̏̐͊̈́͐̋͂̄́̄ͅ ̶̛͉̲̘̤̞̭̳S̵̛̟̬̑̇̄͗͗̚Ơ̷̛͈̪̪̪̜̖͍̊̄͐̎͂̓͌̅͒̕̕N̸̛̯̱͇͎̏̂̅͆̆̄̐̄͘̕Ī̵̗̯͓̥̫̦͙̩̖̮̩̀͗͝͝ͅC̴̡̛̩̖͚̻̹̯̻̄̐̊̓͂͗̀̓͊̇̎̚

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the main issue with putting Sonic on the SNES was always the limited CPU speed, something we've known for a while and this project seems to confirm given the type of sacrifices that had to be made to get it to work. It's all pretty minor stuff though and the project is quite impressive.

Worth noting though that Sonic 1 is actually quite unoptimized, especially when compared to Sonic 3 and Knuckles which is almost obsessive in how heavily optimized it is to ensure there's absolutely zero slowdown anywhere. The idea of trying to make use of stuff like the SA-1 chip for a Sonic port sounds like a fun idea though.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
From what they mentioned in the video (40-70% slower on SNES for some calculations, right?) the SA-1 chip would do the job, as it's clocked at 4x the speed of the base SNES CPU. Would feel a bit like cheating, but it's already impressive what this dev has done on the base SNES. They even added subtle bits of SNES-powered flair like the sky gradient.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Sonic grey-ish blue ion the Genesis video? I don't remember him looking like that.

Sonic 1 was always kind of low on the color saturation when compared to the sequels.

V8jtbp1.png
a90dr3o.png

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Link?

Big loss for this community. Damn.
Sure I will search it.

I think it was this thread.
www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry - Ion Fury - Every Console Tested - How An Ancient Engine Stresses Current-Gen CPUs

Ion Fury pushes the ancient Build engine - powering classics like Duke Nukem 3D - to its very limits, but fundamentally, how difficult can a port to current-gen consoles be? The answer turns out to be more complex than you might think. John Linnemans checks out the PS4, Xbox One and Switch...
Krejlooc requested a self ban after this too.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, why does it look so right! The colors pop out from the Snes port, amazing! Now I want Sonic 2 on Snes.

Oct 30, 2017
That's pretty cool and really looks on point with the physics and visuals, always awesome to see, but man you can really notice the smaller screen real estate with the lower SNES resolution, almost feels clastophobic in comparison if you played a lot of Sonic.

Oct 27, 2017
Impressive demo, fun video.

I wonder how much closer you could get with further development. I didn't expect to see it get so close to the Mega Drive original with all the scrolling.
The music sounded weird at first but I liked it after a few seconds.

Because of the Ion Maiden debacle.
I also think the general tone and weaponising of Digital Foundry content in console warring by uninformed posters made DF threads very difficult to read and have positive discussions in. DF Retro threads are always much smaller and fun to read / take part in.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Impressive demo, fun video.

I wonder how much closer you could get with further development. I didn't expect to see it get so close to the Mega Drive original with all the scrolling.
The music sounded weird at first but I liked it after a few seconds.

I also think the general tone and weaponising of Digital Foundry content in console warring by uninformed posters made DF threads very difficult to read and have positive discussions in. DF Retro threads are always much smaller and fun to read / take part in.
Yeah I agree. Most complained the video was published even the allegations against the developers were know by Digital Foundry.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Another great video. Would love to see Dark cover more stuff like this, such as Pyrons colour hacks on the Megadrive/Genesis, the hack that improves the voices samples in special championship edition or even that demo/test of the original Shinobi running on the MD/Genesis.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Kind of wish Spring Yard Zone would have been chosen for the demo instead of Green Hill, since that'd be more of a litmus test for the physics. Like you have that spring at the start that sends you flying up the wall which then seamlessly transitions into running on the ceiling, bouncing on a bunch of bumpers, etc. So far everything in Green Hill checks out and the only discrepancy I noticed in footage outside of DF was that the breaking mechanic looked sort of janky with how you decelerate.
Yeah the physics is always an interesting part of the classic Sonic games. And what made them so fun. Was really impressive for the time.

But Green Hill Zone had the most advanced and multilayered parallax scrolling of all the zones in Sonic so it was definitely the right choice as a benchmark from a visual standpoint.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
wow, you're right. I looked up more footage of the original Genesis game and you're right. It's so weird to finally notice this.

If you originally played it on a CRT then it probably would have looked a lot more vivid then on a LCD with more accurate color reproduction. And games back then were designed to look good on a CRT over RF/composite video so a lot of the techniques they used don't really look right on modern TVs (the waterfalls in Green Hill Zone were supposed to look semi translucent rather then a bunch of stripes for example):

D6daaO4UYAAWtHO.jpg

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they would've had to redo the spritework in order to have it "fit" corretly in the SNES aspect ratio.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they would've had to redo the spritework in order to have it "fit" corretly in the SNES aspect ratio.
Right there is probably the main reason why some companies chose to make cross-platform games with completely different assets between consoles. Konami's Sparkster comes to mind. Or make a new game in a celebrated franchise instead of just straight-porting a popular entry (Konami again, with Contra/Castlevania, and Capcom with Ghouls 'N' Ghosts).

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
even the soundtrack sounds good actually being played like that,
very cool version/port.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

Here's a pretty comprehensive analysis of the differences in the port. The biggest discrepancies that aren't immediately apparent from casual observation is the max number of onscreen sprites which is cut almost in half, and also that both the SNES demo and the full original game are 512kb respectively.

The fact that the Green Hill Zone only demo is as big as the entire original game could be for a whole bunch of undisclosed reasons (like a bunch of unused data in the ROM? and AFAIK any game that doesn't precisely hit data blocks in multiples of 8 are always rounded up). But I did read an interesting comment on how part of what makes the Genesis original so remarkable technologically is that it fit all of that content into 512kb thanks to a very robust compression algorithm capable of rapidly unpacking all the data as the game is running.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, those performance comparisons at the end were NOT kind to the SNES there.

And yeah the compression is something I hadn't even considered. Pretty much everything in all the Sonic games is compressed with fairly reasonably robust compression algorithms, and doing the same for a hypothetical SNES version would add some maybe-noticeable loading times in-between acts and such. Sonic 3 and Knuckles SNES would probably a nonstarter though on this front though, as that game is setup to decompress art and level assets during live gameplay with no slowdown.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

Here's a pretty comprehensive analysis of the differences in the port. The biggest discrepancies that aren't immediately apparent from casual observation is the max number of onscreen sprites which is cut almost in half

Apparently this is based on an old build and sprite limit and damage rings number has already been updated.

Video is kinda fanboy stuff honestly? It has separate points for field of view and ratio both of which are exactly the same thing - resolution, ROM size is irrelevant for a literal demo and the '10st difference' is about 'blast processing' as if that is real thing?

Honestly for a fan coded project in a first demo release this thing runs like an absolute dream and looks and sounds superb. If he keeps working at it and it ends up a pretty much perfect port minus resolution? Crazy stuff.

Last edited: